Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I might get carried away a bit, but... civ-specific tilesets?  (Read 5313 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
I might get carried away a bit, but... civ-specific tilesets?
« on: December 21, 2017, 10:56:03 am »

Orc/Goblin walls, human walls, dwarf walls, kobold "walls"...

All happened because I was working on the machines/siege engines for the tileset, when I remembered that I liked the style of the catapults from warcraft 2 by Blizzard. Turns out the sprites for that game are 32x32. Result: see above.

Best of all: Warcraft II is over 20 years old and so called Abandonware. It's fine to use the sprites.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 11:19:02 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Hefateus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I might get carried away a bit, but... civ-specific tilesets?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2017, 11:02:14 pm »

Totally Awesome!

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 03:54:55 am »

Nice, is that even possible to add conditions over tilesets at runtime? Like checking which civ is the site owner?

I wonder what the succubi would use. I'm torn between a spikey slade approach or arches with engraved details.

Best of all: Warcraft II is over 20 years old and so called Abandonware. It's fine to use the sprites.

That's not true but Blizzard is not anal about their IP. You can get away with it.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 04:38:13 am »

So far as I know, no, not possible. But can easily be added in the launcher. I'd just save extra versions of the main tileset, which people can pick, just like they pick their race.

Sure it might get weird when you load saves with other civs, but at least data/art is pretty interchangeable without any issues.

A quick search online brought lots of 32x wall tilesets like those, most of them from spriter resource sites, free to use. A lot free-er to use than old Blizzard sprites. ^^
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Metall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 07:17:49 pm »

I'm no coder, so what I say is probably pointless... but what about having tiles in the race folders?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 08:28:36 pm »

If you mean raw/graphic, then those are sprites (creature-only), not tiles (like in data/art). Either way, it's not possible.

Metall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 10:55:45 pm »

If you mean raw/graphic, then those are sprites (creature-only), not tiles (like in data/art). Either way, it's not possible.

Saw that coming.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 08:45:55 am »

personally I've wanted to access and figure out the TwbT dlls.  potentially considering all the other hacking I've done in the past, there has to be code in there about loading the overrides, and manipulating the stream of data into that could force override reloads after the game is loaded.  We figured a similar way to break the descriptions on embark, so we could change the text displayed at the start of a new fortress embark dynamically before it was loaded, based on the race chosen at the embark location selection.  A similar trick to could directly send the override data through a lua script to the twbt system and reset the overrides established by the twbt system.

i.e.
1. player chooses an embark or loads a map.
2. OnMapLoad.init -  initiates an appropriate script based on the entity.
3. the script overwrites the appropriate overrides either directly into twbt, or indirectly and forces a reload of the twbt module.
4. now the map displays the correct walls for the race selected.

but before I went that far; I would just ask mifki is there any hidden twbt commands that he hasn't mentioned in his readme, or scan his repo for potential commands that would accomplish this.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Brutaka001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 01:23:59 pm »

Speaking of civ-specific, is it possible to have different tileset dependant on the caste of the civilian? Like a merchant-caste dwarf or smith-caste?

wags

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 03:12:43 pm »

Speaking of civ-specific, is it possible to have different tileset dependant on the caste of the civilian? Like a merchant-caste dwarf or smith-caste?
That doesn't really make sense in Fortress mode. Could you please elaborate?
Have a nice day!

Brutaka001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 04:29:39 pm »

Ok my bad for sounding confusing as all hell. "Castes" in the meaning of the word that I am using, is the way Dwarf Therapist separates dorfs when you click the "caste" option instead of, say, migration wave or military status. In the Dwarves case, "castes" are the different guilds. Fisherman's guild, Mason's guild, Hunter's guild. In the case of the Kobolds, it's the different signs they are born under. Turtle, Eel, Dartfrog, Rat, etc.

I was just wondering if there was a way, by some sprite making magic voodoo, to distinguish these separations of Caste by visual imagery instead of using the broad racial tileset for each Dorf or kobold, and using DT or menus in game to determine caste.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 05:24:28 pm »

No, caste specific graphics are not possible.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 12:47:29 pm »

Ok my bad for sounding confusing as all hell. "Castes" in the meaning of the word that I am using, is the way Dwarf Therapist separates dorfs when you click the "caste" option instead of, say, migration wave or military status. In the Dwarves case, "castes" are the different guilds. Fisherman's guild, Mason's guild, Hunter's guild. In the case of the Kobolds, it's the different signs they are born under. Turtle, Eel, Dartfrog, Rat, etc.

I was just wondering if there was a way, by some sprite making magic voodoo, to distinguish these separations of Caste by visual imagery instead of using the broad racial tileset for each Dorf or kobold, and using DT or menus in game to determine caste.
No, caste specific graphics are not possible.

Hmmm I agree that generally speaking, with no additional scripting and no extreme game changing effects, No is the answer.  We basically can only do profession specific graphics.  but I did devise a way to disallow a skill from growing no matter the number of times its used by a particular caste, meaning that you could restrict all non fisherdwarf guild members from obtaining above dabbling skill level in fishing and then only fisherdwarf guild members would obtain fishing caste images.  Basically the caste displayed is based on the highest skill obtained.  You would have to apply similar restrictions to all skills and only open the skills for that specific caste, but its "doable",  understand that it also means that skills of the caste will only improve if they are of the ones not restricted. 

I can set both a max experience and a max skill rating, so you could even have "sub castes" and require those sub castes to re apply to the next caste level, or in other cases, let them "evolve" like a pokemon game as they gain enough skill to obtain the next caste.  So you could have say this:

Code: [Select]
1. Peasants - starting caste that all the members of a society are forced into ( I can check for little ones and enforce a strict adherence to this so that all members under age X are peasant caste
2. Apprentice {guild} - entry level member only can gain 5 ratings max in the skills of the group. (or even 5 ratings max across all skills of the group, lol).
3. Journeyman {guild} - 10 ratings
4. experienced {guild} - 15 ratings
5. master {guild} - 20 ratings

additionally I could for the support of other skills allow non guild skills up to say 1/2 the guild skills. so they could never obtain it as their title, but they could support non guild related skill tasks.

Its something I played with for a bit a couple of months back.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Yisin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2018, 12:17:32 pm »

Meph
This sounds like a very cool idea 8)! It would be especially interesting in adventure mod since the architecture would change depending on where you went. I hope you can figure this out.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 04:27:58 am »

Meph
This sounds like a very cool idea 8)! It would be especially interesting in adventure mod since the architecture would change depending on where you went. I hope you can figure this out.
No, that wouldn't work like that. Only one tileset at a time could be active... so you play kobolds, you see the kobold set. When you play dwarves, you see the dwarf set. Etc.
Pages: [1] 2