Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: On and On and ON About Guns  (Read 2285 times)

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: On and On and ON About Guns
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2018, 09:11:52 pm »

Funnily enough my mod has everything you seem to be after. You can download the mod from my sig and dig through the RAWs yourself if you'd like

Basically I used a combination of pipe sections, metal mechanisms, animal traps as well as two custom tools one being a stock. I would recommend stearing away from using custom tools for everything because there are some bugs getting them to work once the tools get stored in a bin.

Best part of my guns is that once you create the gun the stock gets used as decoration.

Bullets are also kept simple, a custom metal tool and potash with charcoal. About as close as I could get to gunpowder and actually historically used for fireworks.

Im away from my tower right now so I can't copy over the code, but searching the file for "gun" and "bullet" should give you a good start.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2018, 06:39:28 am »

Sounds interesting IT 000, though I will say that mineral components such as sulphur and saltpetre (which you could have in a similar kind of bucket storage as milk of lime) mixed with any form of coal/charcoal would have sufficed for a historical application of gunpowder. Maybe you can save it for your mod sequel to make more powerful bullets.

Well stockpiles retain other [INCOMPLETE_OBJECT] quires pretty well, as long as your wrote down your components correctly it should be ok, no idea where or why the vanishing bug is happening. If you have any more issues on your code regarding stock/barrel or anything inbetween posty your raws in a code box (with the little # in the top panel of forum message creation/editing) and we'll have a sort through it.

@IT 000 is right about custom tools though, you really ought to decide and work out which of your materials is the base material when you combine the limited elements together, so you don't make a gun that is essentially wood from the stock as primary material (hence worse at clubbing) rather than metal with wood finish. It might also get awkward when you store bullets inside a quiver but i guess that's just DF.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 03:56:55 pm »

Bullets are also kept simple, a custom metal tool and potash with charcoal. About as close as I could get to gunpowder and actually historically used for fireworks.

Question; are the bullets re-usable? So long as they don't break or vanish, you could go pick up bullets from the battlefield without any consideration for "using up" the gunpowder, right?

Also, do they come out looking just like regular bolts? I glanced at the files and can't find anything that would dicate otherwise.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2018, 04:18:57 pm »

Posting to watch. I'm interested to see where this leads.

A suggestion -- you could create a custom workshop called a Gunmaker's Shop which is where you would make the gun mechanisms as well as the guns themselves, to get around the Mechanic's Workshop problem. Alternatively, you could just use the bog-standard mechanism for making guns; in vanilla, the same kind of mechanism is used for building levers, pressure plates, and gear assemblies alike, so you wouldn't be breaking consistency.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.
Pages: 1 [2]