Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for a bit of help with a font.  (Read 2591 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Looking for a bit of help with a font.
« on: December 22, 2017, 07:28:46 pm »

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to get a heavily stylized font to work in a tileset. I started with the Zelda:A Link to the Past font, but it only exists in upper-case... so back to the drawing board. I know several DF sets use them, but it's hard to find them in the correct format.

I really like Duerer and would happily use its font, but it comes with a background that I just can't seem to get rid off. Besides hand-picking pixels, I couldn't figure out a way to photoshop the background away... probably just not being smart about it.

The thing is, this is a 30x30 font. I'm looking for one that works in 12x24. Especially thin, since shaving of these 4 pixels gives the players 5.5 more tiles on his map to play with.

So... a fancy font, best-case embossed, that is readable on a dark-gray background in 12x24.  :-[

I quite liked the first results, but you can't play with it... all upper-case and I guess your eyes bleed after a while.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This was my try with Duerer, but as you can see it's blurry and the background is discolored.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Does anyone have a good idea?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

DragonDePlatino

• Bay Watcher
  • [HABIT:COLLECT_WEALTH]
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a bit of help with a font.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 07:43:02 pm »

Dafont is a really good resource to find fonts. Everything listed there is "either freeware, shareware, demo versions or public domain" according to their copyright notice. They also split fonts into their own categories such as these medieval fonts. It would be easy to find a really close approximation of Durer's font.

But if you're really hard-pressed to find the exact font, you could always post on /r/identifythisfont and they could take a crack at it.

Edit:
Reminder that mifki has a tool here which can generate a quick text tileset out of any of your installed fonts. I just tried it with BlackCastleMF (exact capitalization and spacing is important!) and it worked.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 07:47:13 pm by DragonDePlatino »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 07:48:22 pm »

Thanks.

I also found that jecowa posted a 30x30/15x15 duerer version without the background once, in a thread about calligraphy. Nice.

And thanks for the hint of the exact spelling for mifkis generator. I have a medieval font... the name is written with a "æ" :D That's why it didnt work. :D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 07:49:53 pm by Meph »
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 07:53:33 pm »

I just removed the background from the image you posted in case it helps.

I'm not sure if it will look good if you shrink it into a narrow font, though.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 08:23:11 pm »

Well, in 240x384 I got Duerer to work like this:

The "o" has a little artefact, but that's it. But it's 15x wide... but I'll continue later. Its very late here.

encrusted bucket

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 04:06:03 pm »

there is a zelda a link to the past font in upper case and lower case http://www.zeldalegends.net/?n=fonts#225

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 04:50:17 pm »

there is a zelda a link to the past font in upper case and lower case http://www.zeldalegends.net/?n=fonts#225
Thanks, but the lower and upper case look both like upper case ^^. It's the Triforce font, it's the logo of Link to the Past. At least I know the name now. :)