Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What am i doing wrong here?  (Read 801 times)

Lordfiscus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What am i doing wrong here?
« on: December 23, 2017, 12:54:17 am »

The context is that my dwarves refuse to build these wall sections under construction in the picture.
Also, can marksdwarves fire below them, and what is the max z-level in wall layers needed to stop creatures from jumping over them? Below the fortifications are solid chalk walls, I'm not sure if that screws up the marksdwarves' ability to aim. http://funnyjunk.com/channel/dwarf-fortress/Napi+ursuavos+pownerduim/xwpuLkj/

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: What am i doing wrong here?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 07:42:44 pm »

Are they suspended? If not, have you tried unconstructing and reconstructing them? If so, have you tried unsuspending then seeing if they resuspend and posting the error message given when resuspending happens?

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What am i doing wrong here?
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 10:16:41 pm »

Well, one thing is asking for gameplay help in the "General Discussion" forum. People who volunteer their time helping new players may not monitor this forum as closely, or at all, so you'd likely get a better response in the "Gameplay Questions" forum.

As to your actual problem, your dwarves cannot stand on the "down ramp" tile and cannot construct your walls from a different z-level or the wall tile itself, so the job either fails to start or suspends automatically. Removing the ramp may allow the job to complete (if the ramp in the northeast is usable) by forcing your dwarves to approach the build site from a less-problematic direction. Replacing the ramp with a temporary up-stair / down-stair combo would allow the dwarves to stand on the down stair tile to build the orthogonally-adjacent wall. Note, however, that if the building material you selected when designating the job is no longer accessible you will need to cancel the construction and redesignate it using accessible material.

Marksdwarves can fire across z-levels, though the rules for when they will do so are rather complex. The wiki has general information, but for a more specific answer you'll need to ask a more specific question.