Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Escape from Tarkov - Yet Another Slavic Apocalypse Simulator  (Read 10592 times)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
Escape from Tarkov - Yet Another Slavic Apocalypse Simulator
« on: December 23, 2017, 01:30:10 pm »

Tarkov, a city in the heart of the Norvinsk Special Economic Zone, was originally set up as a haven for international economic cooperation between companies of the East and West, a haven for business growth and increased trade between the two sides attempting to reconcile after ages of Cold War competition.

That dream has been shattered. After the abuses of several international corporations, Tarkov has become the center of a proxy war. Chief among the abusers, the supercorp Terra Group has hired on the aid of the PMC USEC to secure their holdings and cover up their misdeeds. The Russian ministry, wanting to get to the bottom of the disaster that is now Tarkov, have created their own PMC, BEAR, to investigate and put an end to Terra Group and other companies' unethical business practices. Meanwhile, those civilians who haven't evacuated have taken up arms themselves, becoming Scavs who roam the city and take what they can.

Escape from Tarkov is a simulationist multiplayer FPS taking place in the city of Tarkov, where two PMCs vie for control of the abandoned factories, warehouses, and offices. Currently, the game consists of timed runs through relatively small maps, fighting the local Scavs and other PMC operators while collecting gear and completing quests. At the current stage, the game is already fun, with highly detailed, heavily customizable guns with comprehensively simulated ballistics and a not-particularly-realistic but engaging health system that gives combat depth without sacrificing ease of understanding.

A new patch is set to launch on the 28th that will increase the already-satisfying weapons roster, as well as doubling the size of one of the maps, adding a new customizable helmet, and hopefully fixing some long-standing bugs. However, the game has suffered an issue with severe desync, especially on the European servers, and as the game is online multiplayer only, this can be a crippling problem. They've made great strides to fix these issues, but while I personally haven't had any issues in a while, there are quite a few who still suffer.

Another warning is that the game is quite ambitious. The very small team working on Tarkov hopes to make the area of Tarkov into one continuous map running like an MMO, as well as adding hundreds of different weapons modeled as accurately as possible both visually and mechanically. It may take years for them to reach their goals, if they ever do. That said, the current iteration of Tarkov is quite playable, acting more as an arena shooter and treasure hunt. If you have a taste for simulation-level gunplay but not the patience to get into a game of ArmA, Tarkov might be your thing.

https://www.escapefromtarkov.com/ -Main site, same as link above.
https://www.reddit.com/r/EscapefromTarkov/ -Reddit, not linked from main site like most of the other resources.
http://tarkovballistics.blogspot.com/ -Some guys who test the various weapons to determine the less obvious numbers, like the amount of damage the bullets actually do. A useful resource if you want to get into the meta without experimenting for yourself.
Nothing important here, move along.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Escape from Tarkov - Yet Another Slavic Apocalypse Simulator
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 04:57:26 pm »

Got my eye on this one, going to get it when the discount of the 28th hits.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 06:02:49 pm »

Yet Another Slavic Apocalypse Simulator
What are the others?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 06:10:44 pm »

Yet Another Slavic Apocalypse Simulator
What are the others?

STALKER and Metro, just off the top of my head. Probably a few lesser known ones too.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 02:26:25 am »

This is the kind of thing that makes me wanna buy a gaming rig ASAP.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 07:34:05 am »

I watched a beta lets play of this and it looked incredible - however all open world multiplayer games look amazing in the closed beta/carefully constructed lets play, whereas the reality can be very different. If they manage it, it'll be the best MMOFPS ever, but I'm reserving judgement till it gets into more general circulation.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

IWishIWereSarah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 07:46:15 am »

I watched a beta lets play of this and it looked incredible - however all open world multiplayer games look amazing in the closed beta/carefully constructed lets play
But isn't that what they said : it's only a normal FPS for now, and they want to make it an open world later (maybe for release) ?

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 02:39:44 am »

25% iirc

I started with the standard edition, played for a few weeks and upgraded through each version of the package. Well worth it.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2017, 07:29:31 pm »

If anyone is curious about this game but not enough to throw their money at it quite yet, I have two one 7-day trial code to share. PM me if you want it.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 04:15:25 pm by TheBronzePickle »

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 09:54:47 am »

Liked what I saw in some youtube let's plays, looked ambitious and the level of realism i.e. no kill confirmation is good. Bought the game at the discount, but VAT quickly erased almost all of it, so I think it's quite expensive still (i.e what a full game costs normally).
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 12:32:19 pm »

Hello, does anyone have a 7 day pass?  I'd like to try it out before putting down $35 on this.  Would love to see how many other B12ers are playing this too.

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 02:38:59 pm »

Bought it a few days ago, seems 7day-pass its only for older purchases so dont have one sadly.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2017, 09:05:31 pm »

Got a 7 day pass from BronzePickle, thank you so much.  First try I played as a scav and went in at night.  Spawned with an AK but couldn't see shit.  Fumbled around with settings while lying down for like 10 minutes.  Finally killed two guys before I got killed myself- that was fun.  Now I'm just playing offline for a while for map knowledge.  How do you buy ammo anyways?  I noticed I started with 4 makarovs but all the mags have no ammo in them.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2017, 09:12:02 pm »

You buy it from the traders on 'trading'. Prapor sells makarov ammo, it's 9x18mm. You should start with a lot of it.

Most pro players only go in with an extra mag and a stack of loose ammo. All of the magazines take up a lot more space than the ammo they carry, and reloading a magazine is basically just drag-and-drop and takes no time, so you can just reload and refill the spare mag.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 09:26:53 am »

Tried it out for the first time. I like it. But it's very confusing. What happens if my main character dies? I just lose the stuff I carry?

Only played as a scav at the moment, which seems more safe as I got no clue about the maps or mechanics in general.

As a scav, am I supposed to shoot everyone on sight? What about if I'm in a faction? Is it just for show, or do I cease fire on people in similar uniforms?

"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6