Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Escape from Tarkov - Yet Another Slavic Apocalypse Simulator  (Read 10610 times)

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
Re: Escape from Tarkov - Yet Another Slavic Apocalypse Simulator
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2021, 05:23:31 pm »

still having fun with tarkov. its an addiction if you find you like the game; i dont play during the week cuz i know ill chase my losses into the night and i dont wanna get fired from work lol. im probably at the level of an intermediate player in that i know the common loot spots, most quest locations on maps other than coastline and woods, know weapon, armor and ammo stats, and can handle myself in combat with most weapons except snipers cuz ive never taken to sniping in most fpses except fallout nv and 4.

im usually in the sherpa hub discord on the weekends when i do play with squads (im usually solo) and im fairly casual this wipe, i havent really boosted my level and am just playing with scratch scav gear and having fun.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2021, 05:37:10 pm »

I'm still quite new. Only play for short bursts most of the time with everything else I have going on. Still only level 4 and working on some of the early quests.

But I'm getting better and learning the maps. Mostly Customs and Woods right now.

I'm a pretty cautious player and don't seek out fights with players, so I tend to have more issues with inventory space than losing gear. That'll probably change as I get better.

I do have to say that the early game inventory management is rather painful. Especially if you've had several good hauls in a row and end up spending half an hour just figuring out what to sell and what to keep.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2021, 05:45:52 pm »

I've been watching this game for a while. I'm not big into FPS anymore, and Battle Royales have never ever been my bag. But there's something about EoT that tantalizes me. Maybe it's the whole meta of the game, being a convict scrounging crap to buy your freedom. Maybe it's the meta of having collected gear so you don't have to go into a match butt naked. Maybe it's all the strats, the fact you don't have to fight to the death. Maybe it's the presence of AI and bots, and mutants at some point?

I dunno. Color me intrigued though, have enjoyed watching General Sam talking about being a rat in Tarkov. I've been waiting for it to hit a big release milestone before I try it though.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2021, 05:54:16 pm »

I think it's the roguelike nature that appeals to me. Normal battle royales are true resets between matches. This game is all about incremental improvements. You level up stats and gear and your hideout in-between runs. The stuff you bring into a raid can be lost and the stuff you find can be taken back and used.

Death isn't a big deal, but it's also not meaningless. The game manages to walk the fine line between those two and actually do it well.

The Scav runs you can do really help, since death in those just reflects a loss of opportunity and nothing else, and a successful run can get you back up from square 1 if you have a bad run on your main. It's a good mechanic.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2021, 05:59:35 pm »

Didn't realize the game had stats to level up now too. Been a good year since I've looked at anything about it.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2021, 06:30:17 pm »

Heh. Yeah, I don't think my heart has raced nearly so much in a long, long time as it did when I first started playing. I think when I realized that death *really* wasn't all that bad it got better. Or I got used to dying. I'm not sure.

Either way, playing more has reduced that, although it's still a high tension game for me.

Can completely see this not being a lot of people's cup of tea.
Come play Mafia with us!

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2021, 06:39:28 pm »

this might just be experience talking but i dont find the game particularly tense unless im carrying fat loot or doing a quest that i absolutely have to survive to complete. when it comes to players: i know the spawn locations for most maps and i can gauge where people are by gunshot, including how far they are and their general location and type of gun they're probably using. knowing the maps and the common hotspots helps in this regard. this is a must for good comms and callouts: its the difference between "gunshots at crack house, auto fire probably an AK" or "i hear shots on the left and they're going ham" or "oh crap i hear gunfire in that direction"

Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2021, 07:03:44 pm »

Experience seems to help a lot. I tend to find it tenser as time goes on, since the chances that I'll run into someone randomly increases once you get past the first 10 minutes (which I find fairly predictable). Plus, I usually have more loot the longer the raid goes and have more to lose.
Come play Mafia with us!

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2021, 05:58:43 pm »

I love watching this game and playing around in my inventory, but then I get absolutely destroyed every time I play. On level 6 now, and that grind to level 10 to get the flea market sure feels long :)

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2021, 06:08:42 pm »

Seriously. I'm just shy of 5 now.

I tend to do well against scavs but rarely do well against players.

Also, for some reason I cannot for the life of me hit anything with the stock M4 they give you at the start. Not sure if they have a terrible configuration or what, but I'm far more accurate with most of the other guns I've tried.
Come play Mafia with us!

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2021, 09:01:23 pm »

stock automatic weapons are generally useful at close ranges or on single fire, but fully shine with accurate bursts at medium range but most guns really benefit in this department from modding, which can get expensive.

which brings me to an important point: beginners are best served with accurate semi-auto weapons. the sks, any shotgun or any of the veprs (hunter, 136, 209, 215) teach you accurate shooting and good positioning which is more important in tarkov over spraying at the target.

the sks has long been touted as the rookie king gun because it fires good ammo thats still affordable and the gun works well with no to minimal modding, firing accurately at ranges and you can fire it almost as fast as you can click for quick panic fire if someone ambushes you at close range.
shotguns with long barrels fire narrow cones of shot that can easily hit someones face even at medium ranges and put them down in one shot, especially scavs, and buckshot is generally cheap.
the vepr hunter fires strong ammo accurately and is semi auto making it the sks's badder older brother. the 136 is just a semi auto AK and the 209 fires unique weird ammo and is also basically a semi auto AK. both of these are cheap guns and are highly moddable for cheap builds that can be translated to actual auto AKs. the 215 is a cheap bolt action that fires the same round as the 209, making it a serviceable sniper with a cheap scope.
other than the vepr hunter, these guns also have a very high chance of coming back in insurances unless they've been heavily modded and even then the sights, silencer and/or laser pointers/flashlights will just be stripped off and you'll get the gun back.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2021, 04:58:22 am »

I love watching this game and playing around in my inventory, but then I get absolutely destroyed every time I play. On level 6 now, and that grind to level 10 to get the flea market sure feels long :)
Seriously. I'm just shy of 5 now.

I tend to do well against scavs but rarely do well against players.

Also, for some reason I cannot for the life of me hit anything with the stock M4 they give you at the start. Not sure if they have a terrible configuration or what, but I'm far more accurate with most of the other guns I've tried.

I recommend trying the solo mod available here : https://www.sp-tarkov.com/

It allows you to progress offline against bots, and introduces AI PMCs. There are also further mods that you can use to tweak the game to your preference.

I had a blast playing it for several weeks, whereas online tarkov stresses me out too much to be enjoyable.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2021, 09:47:52 am »

@Jimbo: That lines up pretty well with my experiences

@Sirian: Oh, nice! I'll have to check that out.
Come play Mafia with us!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2021, 06:50:40 pm »

Yeah another reason I haven't gotten into it is I'm not sure my nerves could take it either. Shit Dark Souls PVP was a sweat-soaked controller, rage out affair for me at times. I get startled along with the player just watching Tarkov. Weird how it seems the older I've gotten, the MORE keyed up I get playing games like this. My blood used to be like ice when I was teenager, by comparison.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2021, 10:54:07 pm »

I played it a long time ago and didn't like it much, especially when I lived through a match long enough to realize most of the other people in it were bots.  It was also really hard to tell who was what and avoid friendly fire.  Is that even a thing?  Is it actually battle royale or teams?  Can scavs shoot each other?  I remember when I lived through a match as a scav there were only a couple scavs left and they just stood still and ignored me.

The permanence can definitely make a game like this more exciting.  Hunt: Showdown also has permadeath for characters.  Haven't played that in a long time either but playing solo in two-man games was a ton of fun, you make less noise so you can stalk other teams and catch them off-guard.  Wiping teams as a solo was lots of fun.  Also in two-man the monster boss you're hunting only drops two bounties, so if you yoink one while they're all fighting then whichever team comes out on top only gets one, so one of the partners doesn't get anything for winning.  Hilarious.  I did that a few times as well though it's spicier since you gotta run into the monster's lair while multiple pairs are converging on it and then get out alive.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6