Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Escape from Tarkov - Yet Another Slavic Apocalypse Simulator  (Read 10504 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Escape from Tarkov - Yet Another Slavic Apocalypse Simulator
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2021, 04:04:31 pm »

This video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVY3hN6bHR4

And others like it are why I'd start teaching myself solo. Even though I know the point of starter groups is to work through this shit together, Tarkov seems to have some mild ARMA levels of how shit works and I'd rather practice those motions and get familiar with the control scheme before subjecting someone else to standing in the open like a bullet magnet while I try to figure out how to open my backpack.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2021, 04:09:54 pm »

ya know, whats funny is my first couple raids were scarily close to that video, except solo. and then when i was picked up by my friends, i had a few moments like that too lol.

dont worry about it too much if this idea takes off: if you're brand new and you're running with me, we are not going to be in any hurry and im always willing to explain things. mag checking is, at least for me, alt + T.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2021, 04:12:36 pm »

I had pretty good success learning the basics by doing offline runs without NPCs to practice the maps and controls, offline runs WITH npcs to practice combat, and doing scav runs.

I don't think I did my first PMC run until I had about 2 hours into the game and was getting comfortable with it.

I'm still not good, especially at PvP, but I don't feel useless at this point.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2021, 04:23:13 pm »

Posting to watch, since I do happen to have EFT. However, my computer can't run it all that well, so I haven't been playing much of it.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2021, 05:10:06 pm »

i made a server for bay12 players to gather up for games. its super basic but it'll work. feel free to spread the link around and if it gets fullish, maybe ill get a moderator for it and all that.

https://discord.gg/DExyapq7T8
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2021, 12:58:30 am »

I don't like the way they do maps.  If you're gonna kill me for not escaping in time at least tell me where the fucking exits are.  Just wasted a half hour cause the manhole in reserve wasn't where the map I had to alt-tab for said it was.

I dunno.  It's kind of fun sometimes but ultimately it boils down to yet another game where you walk around for a half hour and then somebody you never saw domes you.  There are so many of these games now, the only thing special really is the detail of the inventory and the permadeath aspects, which are way more onerous than they are in Hunt: Showdown
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 01:29:49 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2021, 11:14:40 am »

I like the game very much, but it seems like screen quality and resolution is a major factor. Being unable to spot targets for various reasons is a big disadvantage.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2021, 09:40:58 pm »

I've got mine on medium settings mostly out of concern about how horribly optimized a lot of games like this are.  Haven't had any trouble spotting people, just having trouble, you know, shooting them.  Been a while since I've played any shooters, still having some awkward twitchy movements throwing off my aim.  Had a good scav run though, in woods.  Spawned by RUAC roadblock,  went up to that UN camp and found a wiped squad.  They were obviously picked over for the really good stuff but found a nice camelbak, won't be using it in raids I don't think but it's a big help for my stash situation.  Got it holding all my magazines, gonna use another to store medical supplies, or maybe using them to carry bigger more awkward items would be better, I dunno.

Getting better at the overall way the game works though, mostly been playing woods and getting a good enough feel for the map I can usually find my way to important areas. If you're new and not insuring everything, uh, insure everything.  It seems counterintuitive but insurance is really good on shitty gear.  Nobody's gonna steal your bankrobber rig, or your unmodded SKS, so you're almost guaranteed to get it back.  Plus if you manage to kill a player or find a wipeout like I did, insurance doesn't actually care if you died or not.  If you find an M4A1 and drop your insured SKS for it, as long as nobody leaves the map with it you'll get it back.

Was clued in to a good routine for leveling up and getting used to the game.  SKS, PACA, bankrobber, sling pack, then toss some random meds and 3000 roubles in your secure container.  Insure everything, then go to woods or interchange and just stay around the outskirts and check hidden stashes (youtube has all the locations), then use the 3000 roubles to dip via the bridge extract.  Your gear's cheap as shit so nobody's gonna steal it and you'll get it back from insurance, and even if somebody does take it it's cheap as shit so you can just buy more. 
Shoes...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2021, 09:45:31 pm »

Yeah, I find that I get almost everything back if I insure it. At least with all the basic gear that I'm using.

And, legitimately, people can only carry so much. So I know I've left plenty of good stuff lying around that I'd have loved to loot but simply didn't have space for, which makes insurance worth it even on decent gear. I expect really high end stuff always gets swapped out for, but I don't exactly have any really high end stuff.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2021, 05:01:43 pm »

My silly fugal tarkov lifehack was to go into the raid with a akwhatever with a big mag (65 shots or 97), insured, nothing else.

Run around, mag dump the first person i see, if I get a kill, grab everything they have (time to scav-larp) and throw the used gun into the brush.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2021, 09:34:02 pm »

One thing that'd be cool is if some items like guns and maybe armor tracked users.  I'm sure some stuff especially the really high-value guns might change hands multiple times before they get vendored, and it'd be fun to get a glimpse of the history of that M4 you looted.

Got my first dog tag.  I mean  I've picked up a few but I've got the first one with my name in the Killed By section. Was in woods as usual, in the flooded town.  There's a stash in this little shed section of one of the houses, walked up and there was a dude waiting for me.  He got me pretty good, almost killed me before I ducked away and tossed a grenade in.  The perils of trying to ambush somebody from inside a fucking closet, I guess.

Then I stripped the cool parts off his gun and vendored it.  Feels good.  Winning in a game with permadeath looting like this feels good.  Vendoring other people's shit feels good.

I guess I'm actually not doing bad at all.  I've got a 2.something KD and a 45% survival rate so far.  Though I haven't started branching out or doing riskier runs yet.  Need to get a feel for interchange next, need a lot of toolbox stuff.  Send all my scavs to do-or-die in the factory office hallway clusterfuck, can get a lot of money in there and even if you die it's a fun map.  All my PMC runs are in Woods, which I did several offline tours of until I had a good grasp of the map. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 12:26:36 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2021, 09:44:59 am »

I've been doing my Scav runs on Customs. Mostly because I wanted to learn the map better for all the quests you have to do there and I've found I can often get some good stuff. I really need to try Factory more, but got stomped hard the first few times I tried it and haven't gotten back around to it yet.
Come play Mafia with us!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2021, 11:47:45 pm »

That's why I do it with scavs.  It's a scav so who cares, and their random loadout tends towards shotguns and SMGs which are best in factory.  Had a lot of success so far, I think I've had more escapes than deaths on my factory runs.

Got another fun player kill.  Been trying to complete gunsmith part 1 for like two days, really hard without the flea market available, and randomly got a scav with the muzzle brake I need to finish it.  Decided to just run through woods at night since I know that map best, was walking past the outskirts heading towards the loot box when I noticed it was already open and crouched on reflex.  Glanced around and there was a dude crouched just over a little bump who heard the footsteps and was looking for me.  Never saw me, popped him with the shotgun, get owned.
Shoes...

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 23, 2021, 12:04:29 am »

Yeah, I'm going to do more scav runs in factory. See if I can get it down a bit more. Did some offline runs it in tonight to get used to it some more. It's an easy place to get turned around in despite how small it is!

I did luck out and get a ton of keys recently, so I've got the pump station key for Factory now. Supposedly it helps with one of the Therapist quests I've got, though I'm not sure how often the item I need spawns in there.

Haven't completed the gunsmith quest yet, since I haven't had your luck with it and still don't have fleamarket access. But I've gotten A few of Prapor's quests done which has been good. Nearly level 8. It'll be nice to finally hit 10 and be able to control my situation a bit more.

Come play Mafia with us!

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2021, 09:23:07 am »

even though ive made a server for grouping, i keep spending my time on the offical sherpa hub: its the server for new players to get actual help. im there alot

https://discord.gg/WqVqaxzTmy

thats the link, its great for grouping up and asking questions
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6