Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flat shaded cell landscape  (Read 2304 times)

dentistguba

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Flat shaded cell landscape
« on: December 23, 2017, 08:07:38 pm »

Hey all, first post on the forums here, just been popping in to read fort stories etc for a while.

Managed to get somewhat familiar with navigating the visuals of this game but still find the mostly black space with bright symbols on every tile a bit confusing in terms of separating interactive elements from static tiles (is that a rock i can pick up or just the stone floor). Not too much into management sims and prefer to see the highlights from forts so mainly playing adventure mode.

Tried the textured ground tiles with full on graphics sets but felt they lose some of the ASCII charm (and really need the TWBT transparency to work on creatures to look consistent, looks nice where it does work).

I thought there should be some room in between these two options so I tested replacing the ground tiles with the solid square from ascii, also using grayscale to differentiate ramps without cluttering the screen with arrows. These gradient ramps are intended to tie in to the TWBT multi z level shading to show smooth slopes.

Heres little teaser image which I think looks quite nice, still looking for the best balance between clear ramp spotting and pretty vistas, some ground tiles are still glyphs but just imagine they are creatures etc.

will be working towards a proper version based on TWBT overrides as some ascii characters can be used for multiple purposes, also as a side affect of this I realised I can have a ground tileset containing a gradient to give more shades of green etc.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 08:09:35 pm by dentistguba »