Dwarf Fortress > DF Adventure Mode Discussion

Are shields mandatory?

(1/8) > >>

Badargo:
Two hand weapons and dual wield wont defend against many attacks and I dont mean just the dragon breath, I am talking about bites, punches, kicks, tails...

A dual wield fighter that has the same number of attacks a single wielder has is just plain stupid (in my opinion which may be wrong and ignorant, who knows?).

A fighter wielding a two hand wont get in dmg what he is sacrificing in defense (and this is my opinion again).

But since both styles are way cooler, Im here to ask the question:

Considering everything, are shields "mandatory"?

StagnantSoul:
If you want to survive, yes. You can also wield eight shields and two swords at once.

Nahere:
You should be able to interrupt natural attacks with a quick strike, or you could just learn to dodge. I tend to play characters with no weapons or one weapon and an empty hand, and it works pretty well against things that don't spit fire.

GoblinCookie:
Yes.  :D

BadCompany141:
there is no doubt that shields are mandatory, especially if your the bunch who don't immediately level up skills to legendary. your going to get disabled in one shot by someone "talented" and above without a shield. however you can work around the two handed weapons issue if you keep randomizing a human character on character creation until you get "large and muscular", which will sometimes be just about as big as a troll or even bigger but definitely larger than the average human and the largest dwarf, thus being able to use pikes/halberds with one hand without consequence. you can get the size information from dwarf portrait in the packaged version of the game if your running around with dfhack

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version