Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New title screen message?  (Read 1328 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
New title screen message?
« on: December 26, 2017, 02:22:36 am »

In the "Histories of X and Y" message, I didn't notice Mettle was used. Is it new?
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: New title screen message?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2017, 02:57:32 am »

Seems like an unlikely addition (in the current release cycle), so maybe you just never notice it before / it never showed up; I don't really recall it either, however.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2017, 03:50:44 am »

I've noticed a couple of words here and there in this version that I haven't seen before. I put it down to the mysteries of the rng.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 06:49:53 am »

I've noticed a couple of words here and there in this version that I haven't seen before. I put it down to the mysteries of the rng.

It should be trivial for Toady to add new words in that message. Just add some more words to that list, tadaa.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 07:42:09 am »

It should be trivial for Toady to add new words in that message. Just add some more words to that list, tadaa.
I mean in other places too. Place names and such.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2017, 07:44:45 am »

That too should be trivial, just add words to a list, again.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2017, 10:19:25 am »

In the "Histories of X and Y" message, I didn't notice Mettle was used. Is it new?

I think I remember Mettle being used a long time ago a few times. It randomly generates each time but that doesn't mean on a single group of runs of an RNG you'll see the exact same distribution of words as anyone else. You can expect quite a bit of ridiculousness where some people get a word hundreds of times and other people get it no times at all.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2017, 03:16:24 pm »

That too should be trivial, just add words to a list, again.
Well, yes, that's the point isn't it? Anyone can see within moments of a new release if new words have been added to a list. So, it's either not happening, and just the rng messing with you (most likely) or existing words which were somehow being skipped before are now being included (odd, but stranger things have happened...).

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2017, 06:53:12 pm »

It's always been there - even as far back as version 0.21.93.19a (the first version ever released), the possible "Histories of X and Y" have been as follows:

X: "Greed", "Avarice", "Jealousy", "Cupidity", and "Gluttony"
Y: "Industry", "Enterprise", "Resourcefulness", "Determination", "Mettle", "Dynamism", "Labor", "Toil", "Diligence", "Exertion", "Tenacity", and "Perseverance"
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 07:04:52 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2017, 07:29:24 pm »

It's always been there - even as far back as version 0.21.93.19a (the first version ever released), the possible "Histories of X and Y" have been as follows:

X: "Greed", "Avarice", "Jealousy", "Cupidity", and "Gluttony"
Y: "Industry", "Enterprise", "Resourcefulness", "Determination", "Mettle", "Dynamism", "Labor", "Toil", "Diligence", "Exertion", "Tenacity", and "Perseverance"

Well, there you go.
Again I wasn't expecting it to be new, since even though it might be a very easy thing to add, Toady's priorities are in completely different areas of the game right now, so it'd seem strange for him to suddenly add new words to the list of possible title screen subtitles when he's working on stuff like false identities and what have you.