Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Dwarves with high ALTRUISM and low STOICISM sometimes releasing prisoners  (Read 7400 times)

PlatinumSun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can get behind this.
It will probably take you 10 seconds to read this digital text on your monitor. And then ponder its metaphorical meaning.

Slaves To Kek God Of Creation
Chapter II: Meme Magic

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is a good idea, and I agree with the direction the discussion around it is taking. I'd like to add two points. Releasing a prisoner is a very extreme thing to do, so dwarves should require extreme personality settings to even consider actually doing it. Other factors, such as friendship with the prisoner or offers of rewards could lower the threshold.

The second thing is that players should be able to guard against this by locking their cages. We could have a new locksmith profession who could handle creating locks and keys for cages and doors, so you would only need to make sure the keys are dumped in magma stored securely and your guards have a high degree of respect for duty and the law.

Locksmiths could also mend shoes and replace the batteries in watches.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile

This is a good idea, and I agree with the direction the discussion around it is taking. I'd like to add two points. Releasing a prisoner is a very extreme thing to do, so dwarves should require extreme personality settings to even consider actually doing it. Other factors, such as friendship with the prisoner or offers of rewards could lower the threshold.

The second thing is that players should be able to guard against this by locking their cages. We could have a new locksmith profession who could handle creating locks and keys for cages and doors, so you would only need to make sure the keys are dumped in magma stored securely and your guards have a high degree of respect for duty and the law.

Locksmiths could also mend shoes and replace the batteries in watches.
However, if the rebel is determined enough, he/she might get hold of a set of lockpicks and start picking the lock if left alone with the cage. So pick your guards carefully so they are not bribable! Or if your mythgen procedural/modded race has no concept of property, just let it be.

And batteries will never be a thing in DF.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We should also take account eventual beatings or torture.

We could even have them in chains to make them even less likely to flee.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are you so sure? :D
I also think Toady said that there will be no gunpowder. Maybe there could be siege engines that use magic to accelerate projectiles. But no gunpowder. I may be mistaken.

Aksej

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I am very much in favor of this. I specifically like JesterHell's list of dependencies.

It is not supposed to be a plot generator that is based upon the Fundermental Attribution Error
Uhm… This is the very first sentence on the development page:
The long-term goal is to create a fantasy world simulator in which it is possible to take part in a rich history, occupying a variety of roles through the course of several games.
Since "fantasy" is a literary genre and this sentence says DF is supposed to be a fantasy simulator, I think that assuming that it is intended to be a plot generator is very much not a fundamental attribution error.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 07:55:53 am by Aksej »

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am very much in favor of this. I specifically like JesterHell's list of dependencies.

It is not supposed to be a plot generator that is based upon the Fundermental Attribution Error
Uhm… This is the very first sentence on the development page:
The long-term goal is to create a fantasy world simulator in which it is possible to take part in a rich history, occupying a variety of roles through the course of several games.
Since "fantasy" is a literary genre and this sentence says DF is supposed to be a fantasy simulator, I don't think that assuming that it is intended to be a plot generator is very much not a fundamental attribution error.

I seemed to have missed the bit where it says that people do stuff primarily based upon their personalities. 

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile

There’s been some misunderstanding here; GC means that as a plot genator DF is not meant to be based upon the fundamental attribution error (ie that what people is always a reflection of who they are inside as opposed to external factors and conditions) if I’m not mistaken.

Aksej thought you meant that DF was not meant to be a plot generator end of story.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, Re: Rebellions

Some should be caused by personality, yes, but some should be caused by outside factors.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, Re: Rebellions

Some should be caused by personality, yes, but some should be caused by outside factors.

Rebellions should be caused by external factors, personality however should dictate whether individual dwarves rebel or not.  Dividing rebellions up like that does not really make any sense.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]