Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: Cathay and Formosa discussion thread  (Read 11078 times)

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
Re: Cathay and Formosa discussion thread
« Reply #165 on: January 12, 2024, 06:34:37 pm »

And I was about to ask what this thread was. lmao
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

zhijinghaofromchina

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a fan of 矮人要塞
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 13, 2024, 11:45:00 am »

The Democratic Progressive Party won the Taiwan election this year.
人生在世不称意 明朝散发弄扁舟

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 13, 2024, 10:46:54 pm »

While I have no great love for Biden, it's a bit of a misquote that requires reading the remainder of the article.
https://www.reuters.com/world/biden-us-does-not-support-taiwan-independence-2024-01-13/#:~:text=WASHINGTON%2C%20Jan%2013%20(Reuters),party%20a%20third%20presidential%20term.

"In a show of support for the government, Biden plans to dispatch an unofficial delegation to the self-governed island, according to a senior Biden administration official.

The delegation is likely to include some former high-ranking American officials, according to the official, who said the names have not been finalized. Similar delegations have been sent to Taiwan in the past."

The US presence on the island is a commitment to provide further security.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #169 on: January 14, 2024, 07:05:59 am »

Probably the most reasonable of the choices. Don't do anything to needlessly antagonise China but also maintain support for autonomous Taiwan

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 14, 2024, 11:05:31 am »

(Mainland) China, or at least the leadership and those that accept the leadership line[1], is probably desperate to get either 'de facto' or 'de jure' control of the island nation, in leiu of the whole umbrella, and right now they're losing their passive (and psychological) grip on both.

I can't see them backing off any, really. Status Quo is probably the best we can hope for, leaving the tipping-point away in either direction always just as imminent. If it tips at all, it'll probably be from too much doubling-down[2] and fall into far more non-passive moves.

Like Ukraine, though, the blame for any outright conflict has to be laid at the one who initiates the conflict, which I can only see being one party (hint: not the ROC/DPP, nor their distant allies). Unlike Ukraine, though, it probably would (at the moment[3]) actually draw significant RotW nations into it. This is the one reason I can believe that Xi will talk hard, maybe play hard ('military exercises'), to keep the pressure up, but not actually follow through with anything more. Hopefully.

But with unknown future tendencies for the balance of power to change. New guy at the top, internal pressures, significant global changes (like Footnote-3). Or some other hotspot just flares up and makes today just look like another interbellum era as various diplomatic dominos topple and makes the fate of Taiwan not even a sideshow. (But that's also beyond the scope of this thread....)

[1] This latter group being a supermajority of the country is, of course, the whole aim for any leadership, and CCP are certainly no slackers in that regard. To the reader(s) who are in the country, I can well imagine that a phrase such as "fish have no word for water" applies, and I'm not even going to go down the route of describing how air-breathing creatures would risk drowning in the environment they find entirely livable...

[2] Sorry, I hate that phrase (outside of original context). It seemed to invade political speech over the last decade or so, usually to describe those who are playing with a bad hand. In that respect, I'm using it wrongly here. But only because it's a wild west saloon game of poker with the threat of gunplay on top of cards.

[3] A certain returning POTUS could essentially do a withdraw of support at least as dangerous (probably more so) as the Afghan one he set up. With much less actual reason to do so. But that's beyond the scope of this particular post/thread.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 14, 2024, 11:53:14 am »

In a rare moment of unity, Xi Jinping, Vladimir Putin and Joe Biden all say Taiwan is China

This is nothing more than restating what the official position of the United States, the People's Republic of China, most of Europe, and Taiwan itself has been for decades. Taiwan insisting on being a de jure independent state would be tantamount to a declaration of war against the PRC. Anybody else insisting on it would be essentially forcing Taiwan into that war.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #172 on: January 14, 2024, 04:37:19 pm »

This is nothing more than restating what the official position of the United States, the People's Republic of China, most of Europe, and Taiwan itself has been for decades. Taiwan insisting on being a de jure independent state would be tantamount to a declaration of war against the PRC. Anybody else insisting on it would be essentially forcing Taiwan into that war.
On the other hand: banter

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 14, 2024, 08:41:21 pm »

Telling a country to fuck off because they're being stupid is not a declaration of war, otherwise we would never have peace.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #174 on: January 15, 2024, 05:45:58 am »

Telling a country to fuck off because they're being stupid is not a declaration of war, otherwise we would never have peace.
[send scornful insult]
[diplomatic insult casus belli]

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 15, 2024, 06:59:30 am »

[send scornful insult]
[diplomatic insult casus belli]

"Your people are descended from limbless space slugs!"

"You'll look good over my mantlepiece!"
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #176 on: January 15, 2024, 09:07:02 am »

"Your people are descended from limbless space slugs!"

"You'll look good over my mantlepiece!"
Joe Biden hears this in the oval office
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]