Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 41

Author Topic: Arms Race: Iron Behemoths - Toskesh - GAME OVER  (Read 44619 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: Iron Behemoths - Toskesh [NEW!]
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2018, 05:57:47 pm »

The turboshaft engines of my design could be used to start developing helicopters easily. So while it is harder, it does give a larger base of theoretical and practical knowledge for us to work off of.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2018, 06:11:26 pm »

We should make a shotgun for close quarters since smgs or assault rifles isn't an option.

For land vehicles we probably want some simple cam driven legs. Since these wouldnt be that good on rough terrain they should be possible to raise, then drag the vehicle on its belly using a winch on the front.

Screw propelled vehicles could also be a viable alternative.

Edit:
Make machinegun semi auto, give it two triggers so the user can alternate trigger pulls and fire faster than possible with one trigger. Either a trigger for index finger of each hand or a trigger for index and middle fingers.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 06:16:03 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2018, 06:14:54 pm »

Screws would have all the drawbacks of a hovervehicle without any of the benefits, and legs, again are going to be maintenance heavy and slow (And we'd still need better engines for a walker).

And shotguns are banned in regards to ban of multiple projectiles from one activation. Can do something like the M1 carbine for close up work, and ensure the trigger pull is light.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2018, 06:58:50 pm »

Saying screws have no benefits and conly drawbacks compared to a hovercraft is...a blatant lie? Screw has much more traction and can carry more weight.

Legs are maintenance heavy and slow. But if we do legs simple cam driven ones are the way. Probably the clisest we can get to wheels without being actual wheels.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2018, 07:07:21 pm »

Not particularly, as they'd still be restricted to flatlands and weight capacity is nothing without the speed to move that weight.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2018, 08:38:31 pm »

The turboshaft engines of my design could be used to start developing helicopters easily. So while it is harder, it does give a larger base of theoretical and practical knowledge for us to work off of.
I have nothing against the engines. I was proposing that we excluding modifying the armor and making the turret powered, as I fear that will push us up a difficulty category.
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2018, 08:42:00 pm »

The turret being powered, and the thicker armour, should be much more simple than the engines, but I'll check with Evicted on that.

EDIT: It may be, but we'd have to spend the analysis credit to truly see the difficulty of a design. We can modify it afterwards though, since the credit is spent before the design is selected and drawn for.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 08:53:36 pm by Taricus »

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2018, 09:51:53 pm »

I'm up for us using the credit on your version, as long as it tells us if dropping the extra armor and powered turret would lower the difficulty.
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2018, 11:36:24 pm »

Am I being random? Yes. But Analysis Credit Go!
Team Color:
Navy Blue (3): Taricus, TFF, Jilladilla
Crimson Red (3): Shadowclaw, Thanik, Blood_Librarian
Team Bonus:
Titanium: (3): Taricus, Shadowclaw, TFF
Manganese (1): Thanik
Cobalt (1): Blood Librarian
Design:
-Agrarian (1):Blood_Librarian
-ZQ-51 Amphibious Battle Tank (4): Taricus, Shadowclaw, Jilladilla, TFF
--Use Research Assistance Credit (3): Taricus,Shadowclaw,TFF
--Use Analysis Credit (3): Taricus, Shadowclaw, Jilladilla
-Withhold for the time being (1): Thanik

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2018, 08:29:27 am »

My opinion on this debate between hover and walker is that we are going to want both down the road. Hover gives us mobility but at the cost of durability and weight, while walker gives greater durability and platform stability for heavier weapons.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2018, 08:52:33 am »

ZQ-51 Amphibious Battle Tank: The ZQ-51 is Toskesh's first proper foray into hovercraft, and mating it with the chassis of the existing tank.

Armoured enough to resist a 'Sunrise' AP shell on both the front and the sides to make it easily able to survive high-speed manoeuvres, which when combined with the powered turret of the tank makes it particularly lethal against the enemy, enabling it to easily do away with scores of enemy infantry, and their tank should they risk deploying it.

The most innovative parts of the tank is the fact that rather than relying on legs, treads or wheels, it rests on a cushion of air contained by a flexible (And thick) rubber skirt, and propelled by a pair of large fans at the rear of the vehicle (The turret being mounted so as to not be able to fire at/through the fans). Coupled with the fact that it's powered by a pair of new turboshaft engines which power the vehicle, The ZQ-51 is expected to be particularly faster than our old tank or indeed any other tank in service, regardless of propulsion.

Analysis: Extreme Difficulty

After carefully examining Article IV on the Geneva Conventions on Conventional Weaponry, our engineers conclude that a tank that hovers over the ground technically won't violate the conventions.  In fact, preliminary calculations show that a hovertank may even supersede speeds of conventional mobile armor - perhaps even traveling over water! Requirements are drawn up and your team begins analyzing the difficulty of our ZQ-51 Amphibious Battle Tank design.

As it turns out, this design might be a bit trickier than we initially thought.  Hovercraft like this design are practically unheard of, and there's very little - if any - existing research to go off of.  Furthermore, we've never made any forays into jet technology, so a turboshaft engine alone will be quite a difficult design - and we will certainly need one (or rather, many) for the power requirements.  Plus we're not just lifting a stock Wuhan, we're also up-armoring it and further increasing weight and complexity of the design. 

Your engineers agree that it might be possible - in theory - but this design would be Extremely Difficult to pull off.

(The first hovercraft in the sense you guys are wanting was developed in 1955, out of balsa wood.)

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2018, 09:29:53 am »

Right... So, this is a bit too far.

Strip all the armor and make a little hoversled to put our artillery on then?

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2018, 09:48:26 am »

Might be a bit too much in the other direction which'll swing the difficulty back up.

Anyway, edited the ZQ-51 to basically be a hovering copy of the Wuhan.

TheFantasticMsFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Ckk Ckk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2018, 10:36:18 am »

Shit. Well, anyone have Goats Incense on hand?

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2018, 10:41:20 am »

Well we could create a hovercraft transport truck First. .. as far as i understood even our transport trucks are illegal...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 41