Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 45

Author Topic: Arms Race: Iron Behemoths - Nogrania - GAME OVER  (Read 49883 times)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Race: Iron Behemoths - Nogrania - Turn 3, Autumn 1951
« Reply #210 on: January 15, 2018, 12:13:12 am »

Quote from: Votebox
NAF-BC-51 "Rabid" (With both-resets) (2): Mandemon, Stabby,10ebbor10
NAF-BC-51 "Rabid" (With half-reset) (2): BBBence, NUKE9.13
NAF-SCR-51 "Repeater" (With both-resets) (0):
NAF-SCR-51 "Repeater" (With half-reset) (0):
NAF-NMG-51 "Rainmaker" (0):
NAF-SPAT-51 "Paradigm-DR" (0):
NAF-NMG-51 "Emu" (3): Chiefwaffles, Frostgiant, Happerry
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 15, 2018, 05:03:56 am »

ebbor forgot to increment the vote count when he voted for the full-reset Rabid. I'm gonna fix that.

I think the half-reset Rabid is the way to go; the report constantly mentions how our infantry are greatly outmatched, which we could turn on its head by introducing nearly-automatic-rifles.
A better NMG would also help, to be sure, and will be important if we want to design a combat heli, but in terms of immediate impact I think the Rabid would be better- although... now that I think about it... the Emu would be very useful on the defence, which is what we'll be doing in the Badlands, the most important theatre this turn.
...in the course of writing this I have convinced myself to switch to the Emu.

NAF-BC-51 "Rabid" (With both-resets) (3): Mandemon, Stabby, 10ebbor10
NAF-BC-51 "Rabid" (With half-reset) (1): BBBence
NAF-NMG-51 "Emu" (4): Chiefwaffles, Frostgiant, Happerry, NUKE9.13
Long Live United Forenia!

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 15, 2018, 06:07:57 am »

I wonder if the UN accepts queued actions. Like, say, you push a spring past X notches, and then the gun fires X bullets at max fire rate.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 15, 2018, 10:47:30 am »

I wonder if the UN accepts queued actions. Like, say, you push a spring past X notches, and then the gun fires X bullets at max fire rate.
Well technically if you pulled the trigger three times and three rounds came out it would technically be legal. But I have no idea how that would work currently.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

Mandemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 15, 2018, 11:37:27 am »

I think that goes against "One round per activation" rule.
█████
█████
NOGRANIA SHALL NEVER DIE

Cannalan Pirate

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 16, 2018, 02:38:15 am »

So I've decided to support the Rabid instead.

While I still completely disagree with the notion that the Kotow is a bad gun or an "ad-hoc" gun, I do now think that we should probably shore up on infantry. Right now our entire battle strategies rely on Hippos spearheading an advance. But already they have weapons capable of disabling if not destroying the Hippos and they could very well give their infantry more anti-armor capabilities. So until we can afford to give better, actual, armor to our vehicles, we should probably keep our infantry strong enough to prevent them from completely countering our tanks.
Kot also pointed out in the Discord that we can develop flak jackets and proper helmets for our soldiers in a(/this) revision, which would go really well against their grenade launchers. I probably also want to do that this revision phase to go with the Rabid.

Though this is a tiebreaker vote since BBBence was going to switch his vote to the both-reset Rabid anyways (which I've done alonjg with my vote). If the Emu gets more support I'd be willing to consider switching back.
NAF-BC-51 "Rabid" (With both-resets) (5): Mandemon, Stabby, 10ebbor10, BBBence, Chiefwaffles
NAF-BC-51 "Rabid" (With half-reset) (0):
NAF-NMG-51 "Emu" (3): Frostgiant, Happerry, NUKE9.13
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 16, 2018, 02:50:17 am »

Hmm. Well, I could switch back to the half-reset version. Cos if I were them, I'd take the full reset to court, and I'd expect to win. Then we'd have to spend a revision removing the full-reset mode from all our rifles. To use Mandemon's own argument: in the US, half-reset is legal. But why would they stop there unless full-reset wasn't?

...could we do both? As in, design a half-reset only version at the same time as the both-reset version? That way if full-reset gets declared illegal, we wouldn't have to spend an extra action.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Arms Race: Iron Behemoths - Nogrania [NEW!]
« Reply #217 on: January 16, 2018, 03:09:31 am »

Revision:
NAF-NSU-51: Nogrania Soldiers Uniform 1951 is modernized version of the old uniforms, remaining relatively similar, but also including rudimentary camouflage pattern, some pockets and new flak-jacket, inspired by US experiments in Pacific theatre and Korean war, which consists of fiberglass plates pressed together with resin to retain form inserted into ballistic nylon vest, convering the upper and lower torso and back, and having a collar that covers the neck. Includes a zipper on front and straps on sides to allow the jacket to be more form fitting. The helmet is modified to be deeper, to allow better protection on the sides, and it's liner can now be easily detached, and a lid with a small whistle is added to allow for the helmet to be used as a tea kettle. The new helmet combined with the flak jacket collar should allow for much better protection and yet not interfere with each other. As an afterthought a pair of woolen gloves are added.

The fiberglass can be switched to aluminium, as Korean war flak jackets existed with either it or Duron, and apparently both had roughly the same capabilities.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 16, 2018, 03:51:13 am »

NAF-BC-51 "Rabid" (With both-resets) (5): Mandemon, Stabby, 10ebbor10, BBBence, Chiefwaffles
NAF-BC-51 "Rabid" (With half-reset) (1): NUKE9.13
  Or both versions: (1) NUKE9.13
NAF-NMG-51 "Emu" (2): Frostgiant, Happerry

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 16, 2018, 04:07:10 am »

VI.    Automatic Weaponry:
Protocol VI on Prohibitions or Restrictions on the Use of Automatic Weaponry prohibits the use of weaponry which fires greater than one projectile per activation of the device.  This includes weapons which in the user is able to continue the firing of said weapon without further input or intervention.  The reason is that such weaponry enables one user to rapidly cause the death of many in an indiscriminate fashion, needlessly accelerating the rate at which casualties are inflicted during the conflict.
Emphasis of the last two bolded phrases mine.

We're fine regarding the activation clause for sure - one trigger press is still one activation and one projectile, even if that activation is really easy.

The "further input or intervention" clause is more iffy, but I think we're fine there. Notice how it doesn't say something like "conscious" or anything that indicates each trigger press must be a fully independent action from the user. The user is still providing active input in pressing the trigger each time. They may be able to keep a steady force on the trigger to continue firing, but the rest makes each trigger its own action - each time you push down the trigger, that's further input from you. Even if that input is really easy, it's a new input.

Compared to actual automatic weapons where you push the trigger down and keep it down - one input. The both-resets version still has you providing one "input" - pushing the trigger down - each time you want to fire. Even if it makes it easier to provide that input.

NAF-BC-51 "Rabid" (With half-reset) (1): NUKE9.13
  Or both versions: (2) NUKE9.13, Chiefwaffles
NAF-NMG-51 "Emu" (2): Frostgiant, Happerry
But I'll still vote for both versions because it really should add zero difficulty and we may as well.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Mandemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 16, 2018, 06:38:20 am »

Hmm. Well, I could switch back to the half-reset version. Cos if I were them, I'd take the full reset to court, and I'd expect to win. Then we'd have to spend a revision removing the full-reset mode from all our rifles. To use Mandemon's own argument: in the US, half-reset is legal. But why would they stop there unless full-reset wasn't?

...could we do both? As in, design a half-reset only version at the same time as the both-reset version? That way if full-reset gets declared illegal, we wouldn't have to spend an extra action.

Both-resets includes half-reset (AKA it has both reset states, user chooses preferred). We can stick to half-reset when needed and if UN really decides that it's illegal, we can just agree not to use full-reset state.
█████
█████
NOGRANIA SHALL NEVER DIE

Cannalan Pirate

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 16, 2018, 06:42:50 am »

I'm not sure that 'agreeing not to use it' will fly. Unless you expect UN inspectors to follow around every single soldier to record whether they are secretly switching to full-reset in the middle of a battle.

And, I mean, making both versions shouldn't add any real difficulty. Heck, the half-reset only version could just be the both-reset version with the selector switch missing.

Mandemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 16, 2018, 07:45:26 am »

I'm not sure that 'agreeing not to use it' will fly. Unless you expect UN inspectors to follow around every single soldier to record whether they are secretly switching to full-reset in the middle of a battle.

And, I mean, making both versions shouldn't add any real difficulty. Heck, the half-reset only version could just be the both-reset version with the selector switch missing.

That is kinda what I meant, if they decide that full-reset is against the rules, we just have the selector removed so it only goes up to half-reset. Should not honestly even need a revision, considering how small the change is.
█████
█████
NOGRANIA SHALL NEVER DIE

Cannalan Pirate

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 16, 2018, 07:14:10 pm »

NAF-BC-51 "Rabid"
"Rabid" Battle Carbine '51 is a new rifle for our troops. Weapon fires .280 round shamelessly copied from British and their recent rifle demonstration. The rifle is a gas operated using long-strike piston with rotating bolt, giving it ability to fire in semi-automatic mode without needing a large external assembly as our existing Tokow rifle. It also has Assisted Reset mode to allow faster firing rates. The rifle is relatively short, only about 35 inches long with the stock, with recoil spring located in the stock. Weapon feeds from 30 round curved magazine. The barrel is covered in a metal shroud. There are also links to allow weapon to be carried with a strap, as well as rails for mounting optics or other additions.

Assisted Reset
Main feature of the weapons is the "assisted reset" mode. In this mode, when weapon cycles the trigger is reset to the forward position, allowing user to rapidly squeeze the trigger.  The reset point can be adjusted to be either half-way or to full reset. In half-way state user needs to release the trigger for a split-second to allow reset to finalize, while full-reset makes the trigger reset fully. Additional latch prevent firing until cycling is complete, in order to ensure that the weapon remains compliant with the UN treaty.

Hard Difficulty: 6

The NAF-BC-51 "Rabid" is Nogrania's first purpose-designed semi-automatic carbine chambered in .280 (or 7.112 mm for filthy metric-users). It features a 30 round "banana" magazine and weaver rails on the perforated metal shroud that covers the barrel, on which foregrips and bipods and all other manner of lovely gun add-on's can be attached.  It's 35 inches long and comes with a recoil spring located in the wooden stock.  The recoil is comparable to the Kotow, but with notably higher reliability, greater fire rate, lower overall weight, and optional bayonet attachment. 

The rapid-fire nature of the Rabid comes from the unique "Assisted Reset" functionality, in which the bolt physically returns the trigger to the "ready" position.  This means the user will only need to maintain pressure on the trigger to continue firing the weapon, rather than repeatedly moving their finger forward manually between each shot.  We've termed this firing mode as "Full Reset".  Secondary firing mode simply moves the trigger back half-way, requiring the user to manually move their finger the last bit of distance to fully reset the trigger before it can be fired again.  As a bonus, we also have a final firing mode that is simply standard semi-automatic.

As an additional bonus, our engineering team has figured out how to replace the perforated metal shroud with a solid stainless steel shroud, which can be filled with water to act as a make-shift tea kettle with no greasy residue.  1 Ore.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
Re: Arms Race: Iron Behemoths - Nogrania [NEW!]
« Reply #224 on: January 16, 2018, 08:01:47 pm »

Revision:
NAF-NSU-51: Nogrania Soldiers Uniform 1951 is modernized version of the old uniforms, remaining relatively similar, but also including rudimentary camouflage pattern and new flak-jacket, inspired by US experiments in Pacific theatre and Korean war, which consists of multiple overlapping plates in chest and abdomen area, that are made out of fiberglass miexd with resin and pressed into shape (technology which we totally didin't steal from Americans), and layered ballistic nylon vest that covers the whole torso, back and upper parts of shoulders and has a collar that covers the neck. Includes a zipper on front and straps on sides to allow the jacket to be more form fitting. The helmet is modified to be deeper, to allow better protection on the sides, and now contains compartments for tea inside the liner. The new helmet combined with the flak jacket collar should allow for much better protection and yet not interfere with each other. The whole thing comes standard with complete tin mess kit and a special cup used for tea. As an afterthought a pair of woolen gloves are added.

Revision:
NAF-NSU-51 (1): Kot
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 08:43:12 pm by Kot »
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 45