Dwarf Fortress > DF General Discussion

What would it take to make Dwarf Fortress take advantage of Retina displays?

(1/4) > >>

jecowa:
A Retina-aware Dwarf Fortress would be really convenient for running 32x32 graphics packs (e.g. Meph, Vordak, Dawn Fortress, Tergel) on 13 to 22-inch screens without having to change the screen resolution to something that makes the text really tiny in other apps.

To properly use a 32x32 graphics pack that's being scaled to 2x, it would take a 5K display (5120 pixels wide).

How impossible exactly would Retina support be?

falcn:
I'm pretty sure that you can utilize retina to its full potential by specifying physical display resolution as your full screen resolution, and going fullscreen.

If I remember it correctly, TWBT allows you scale playing field and menu text independently. I will try it tomorrow when I'll get home.

jecowa:
The downside to this is that it makes the UI and text in other apps really tiny. There's an app that will switch your resolution for you automatically whenever you switch between apps. I'm guessing that switching resolutions all the time would be annoying even if it's automatic, though.

It'd be nice to be able to tell the computer to not use resolution doubling on Dwarf Fortress.

falcn:
No, I meant setting real resolution (2880x1800 for 15" retina) in DF settings (or LNP->Advanced->Fullscreen) and press F11 in game.

It will not affect OS X.

jecowa:
Oh, sorry. Thank you for the suggestion! It sounds promising.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version