Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Stationeers - New game from Dayz creator Dean Hall  (Read 6007 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Stationeers - New game from Dayz creator Dean Hall
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 12:32:27 pm »

The game's pretty fun right now, actually. There's not really much more to it at the moment than "set up proper power and atmospheric systems" but that takes a surprising (and to me, engaging) amount of time. Other stuff that they've been previewing looks cool as well - namely the mothership stuff.
Updates have also been unnaturally fast since release, but I wouldn't expect updates this fast in the long-term for any game.

And also, here's a quote from Dean Hall in a AMA on the SS13 subreddit, when someone asked "are you gonna abandon this game like dayz??"
I was hired for a year to work on DayZ. It was extended to two years. I wasn't hired after that.
I own Rocketwerkz.
I'm confident you're smart enough to already know the difference, and a good enough person to move on from making things up.
(Link)

Thought it was relevant.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2018, 01:01:43 am »

Hey, some people can hate on a dev without hating on their product. I hate the Space Engineers devs, but playing it with a gazillion mods is damn awesome. Probably the only game in which I could start the game in a puny fighter, board a cargo ship and turn it into my scrapyard, expanding the base by docking more and more stolen ships on it.  :P

Videos and stories look really cool and I want to check Stationeers out soon. A project like this being completed would be a great surprise.
Or have it be like Oxygen Not Included in which, although they may have a roadmap, the game is fun as hell and amazing and every update makes it even better. They could keep it in "Early Access" as long as they want with a system like that. A system where they deliver.

But I guess for something taking inspiration out of SS13, their roadmap will consist of adding more and more systems, features, and their supporting parts..so for some people it might feel like a Early Access Hell feature creep if they don't make such roadmap public.
Which is not a big deal if they do have a direction for it.

My conclusion is that if a game came this far in the development, and it seems it reached this state in a rather short time (given the devs were researching the idea and trying to make it work through prototypes for a while), it's more likely that it will be finished than not IMO.
It's different than it was with Miner Wars, Space Engineers or Medieval Engineers...or No Man's Sky...that only some physics/tech demo was out and people were praising and throwing money at it (which I was guilty of with Miner Wars and NMS). In those cases there was nothing really concrete or tangible, it was the classic EA marketing trap we should all be at least a little immune to right now.
Watching the videos on Stationeers shows this is not the same situation.

Fingers crossed and I hope to blow my own base soon.

PS: As I'm basically talking about whether a project will fail or is scammy based on marketing and dev team PR behavior, more or less, I'd say that focusing on a 'niche market' (doubt it's too niche nowadays, but anyway), and with videos and description focused on the game's scope, they are approaching this the right way.
The clear sight of bullcrap nowadays is the EA/kickstarters of games in which 'you can do anything'. I'm not buying/supporting any games in which you 'can do anything' until it's fully released with plenty of videos and reviews up.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 01:20:35 am by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

gomez

• Bay Watcher
  • [Hysterical and Useless]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2018, 02:05:08 pm »

I have played a erm, demo of this and the controls are difficult at first, however I remember back in the 90’s I was annoyed by the new WASD fad.

I think the main problem with the controls now is that you are essentialy a one man band trying to start from scratch and do everything, but in the future you will have a space satation setup and you will have jobs, like atmos technician or welder.

When I get paid I am going to buy this. I think already I have watched about 12 hours of youtube letsplays.
"They accused us of suppressing freedom of expression. This was a lie and we could not let them publish it."
- Nelba Blandon (as Director of Censorship, Nicaragua)

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2018, 08:25:52 am »

My base is now air conditioned and pressurized, so for fun I built a couple of 'suit storage' items for my airlock, ... - and noticed that they are equipped with power and pipes for 'breathable', 'exhaust', and 'propellant'.
So I hooked up my various gasses, and true enough, when I leave my space suit, then it's automatically emptied for waste products, and refilled with oxygen and power.

This kind of details give me great hope for the quality of whatever comes out of this. Not just that the developer has added this optional complexity, but that he allows the user to design what goes into the pipes (I.e. it's not hardcoded what is used).   :)
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2018, 05:12:15 pm »

Well if it ends up being anything like SS13 the depth of mecanics will be monstruous wich is something i love. Hell anyone ever been an archeologist in SS13? the right way? chemist? geezzz exploding smoke healing grenades! And the athmos system too, pressure, temperature, different gas doing different thing, hooking up tons of healing chemicals to the athmo system and get everyone healing themself stuff like that. Just crazy depth. Now that i think of it, i dont remember if we could hook up chemical to the athmo system o.O. Anyway, i just loved the game and thinking about going back but eh, not enough time to go on 6hr strech rp servers.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2018, 03:28:43 am »

looks like it lacks conflict, will consider if an antagonist mode will ever get implemented.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2018, 04:18:04 am »

I've worked as Admin on my own ss13 server and I've been banned from countless servers for fun reasons like "Build a Mass Accelerator aimed at escape, powered by solar panels" - the admin panel of ss13 is amazing and allows great detective work, years of banning asshats like me with a effective tool have made ss13 alright to play. The "Burden of Entry" is hard enough to keep full idiots out and the hardness of the game itself does the rest. This will not be the case on a steam release... I fear in truth, we may just have enjoyed the "good" company we had in ss13, which will stay there.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2018, 08:43:49 am »

looks like it lacks conflict, will consider if an antagonist mode will ever get implemented.

Currently yes, it's 'just' a builder sandbox.
However, there are already guns, turrets and torpedo launchers (but no torpedos) that you can create, so conflict is inside the current scope of the game.

From what I've heard, then the aim is not PvP (which I hope is true), but it would make sense as an engineering challenge to 'build a warship that can take down the Zarkhar dreadnaught', - or even better 'rescue the prisoners aboard the fleeing Zarkhar dreadnaught, how is up to you'.
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2018, 11:20:36 am »

Yeah. It seems like the planned Away Missions will be the main game loop. You see if your infrastructure is up to the challenge of _________.

Though I do believe they mentioned traitor-like gameplay as a “maybe once we’re done with the rest of the game” thing.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2018, 11:47:06 am »

Yeah, it seems like a slightly different bent then SS13.  Which is fine, it can do it's own thing.  Looking forward to see how it goes.  It looks like UnityStation is trying to be a plain SS13 remake, by literally porting the code over to Unity.  They are actually making progress too.  Hopefully one of the two will make it.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2018, 07:25:44 pm »

Reading Dean Hall's posts, seems like he figured that to break the curse, you have to approach it by making one/a few features at a time.
So stuff that makes the game more PvP/SS13 oriented will probably take a while to get in, I'm assuming.

I'm travelling and both laptops I have available cannot run it, which is a shame. Will probably watch a bunch of videos.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2018, 11:41:41 pm »

Not come across ss13 before, checked it out, sounded interesting. took a look at unitystation. disapointingly it looks like they're copying a ui system that's even worse than DF.

Stationeers looks interesting though, will keep an eye on it.

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2018, 01:22:47 pm »

Yeah, well, SS13 is something special. You'll get used to it and it's quite a lot of fun actually.

If this things comes anywhere close to SS13 we are really blessed :)

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2018, 05:20:54 pm »

I suppose it would be reasonably easy to fork it and create a new client that had a better control layout.

Vibe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2018, 06:14:37 am »

I suppose it would be reasonably easy to fork it and create a new client that had a better control layout.

There seems to be this https://unitystation.org/
Pages: 1 [2] 3