Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Visitors, Professions, etc... some help please.  (Read 1138 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Visitors, Professions, etc... some help please.
« on: January 03, 2018, 09:34:04 am »

I was just wondering what professions visiting animal-men and elves/humans/dwarves have most of the time.

The wiki states this:
Guests will come to relax, and only provide social contacts. They may perform in your inn. After they finish their tasks, diplomats may stay for a while as guests.

Scholars will come to study, which includes reading books and discussing scientific topics with other scholars (including other visitors and your own dwarves), and may write books in your library.

Mercenaries will come to enlist in the military. They will either petition for long-term residency or relax, and when you accept them, they can be added to any squad (note that they cannot be squad leaders) and will follow any order the squad receives. They are attracted by your inn.

Performers, as the name suggests, will come to perform in your inn. They will tell stories, dance, make music, or recite poetry. They do this for fun, and will not ask anything in return. They may petition for long-term residency.

Monster hunters visit inns to hunt monsters within the caverns. Once they are granted long term residency they will occasionally go down into the caverns on their own to hunt. As of 0.42.04 they might be bugged as nobody other than Toady has reported seeing them, but supposedly their requirements for arrival are having opened the caverns. As of 0.44.01, this is fixed.

Slaves will come to relax.

Travelers will come to relax. Some may seek sanctuary at your fort, for example, if you liberated them from a site. They may do this even if you have no locations assigned that allows foreign guests.

Spies Will occasionally visit the fortress from other civilizations (as of 0.44.01). Their function at the moment seems mainly to report back to their Civ about what artifacts you have in your fort. The player can identify spies by looking at their names, roles and equipment. An elf spy for example might arrive at your fort claiming to be called 'Urist McBard' despite being an elf carrying only weapons and armour, with no bard skills what so ever. There is a bug in 0.44.02 that can cause a large amount of spies to turn up at the the players fortress as soon as they embark, and just wander around not doing anything.

Mercenaries, Monster Hunters, Performers, Slaves and Scholars are fine, but... Guests, Travellers, Spies? Those are no professions... how do they look?

It would be really useful to have that info, because I could make fitting creature sprites. Like this:

Frog, Frogman, Baby-Frog, Baby-Frogman, Undead-Frog, Undead-Frogman.
Wartrained Frog, Huntingtrained Frog, Melee-Unit Frogman, Ranged-Unit Frogman, Performer Frogman, Scholar Frogman.

That covers most of them I think.

Edit: And what exactly determines who can be a visitor? What token in the creature file? Intelligent / Can_learn?

There are 166 animal men. If I do melee, ranged, scholar, performer, than that's 664 sprites. I think that's a realistic goal.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 09:49:04 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Vordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Visitors, Professions, etc... some help please.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 09:48:22 am »

Put here a picture with all animal-men (DEFAULT token) - I will do for them all variations of  military, military-masters and BEAST_HUNTER and MONSTER_SLAYER - two or more weeks later))

Guests, Travellers, Spies like should look like ordinary peaceful professions - millers, farmers and others - in short, speaking STANDARD\DEFAULT token.

Upd. This can help or maybe not - Below are attached the patterns of bodies and weapons, you only need to draw the desired head, paint the body, insert weapons and if you need to draw armor.
Spoiler: pattens (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 10:46:19 am by Vordak »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 10:53:51 am »

That is incredibly helpful.

First I have to figure out who exactly visits though. I just checked a save file with almost 80 visitors, all of them are dwarven, human or elvish. :/ I might be completely wrong about the animal-men.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 10:59:23 am »

Thats because animal men actually have to join world-gen civs and become historical figures within said civs in order to have a chance of visiting. It happens occasionally, but its incredibly rare.

Also there really aren't professions they have "most of the time", its fairly random who actually comes to taverns. I mostly get performers of different types, but occasionally a mercenary (either one with the actual "mercenary" profession or just the regular swords/axe/whatevermen) or monster slayer shows up.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 11:01:55 am »

Thats because animal men actually have to join world-gen civs and become historical figures within said civs in order to have a chance of visiting. It happens occasionally, but its incredibly rare.
Thank you, that is exactly the type of answer I was looking for.

Does this include cavern-civs? I mean those:
Code: [Select]
[ENTITY:SUBTERRANEAN_ANIMAL_PEOPLES]
[LAYER_LINKED]
[CREATURE:AMPHIBIAN_MAN]
[CREATURE:REPTILE_MAN]
[CREATURE:SERPENT_MAN]
[CREATURE:RODENT MAN]
[CREATURE:BAT_MAN]
[CREATURE:ANT_MAN]
[CREATURE:OLM_MAN]
[CREATURE:CAVE_SWALLOW_MAN]
[CREATURE:CAVE_FISH_MAN]

Technically they are world-gen civs.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 11:09:14 am »

I don't think the game counts them into the proper list of civs, actually - since they lack tokens like [SCOUT], [WANDERER] and the like they wouldn't visit (and even if they had I doubt they would due to how differently underground tribes are treated gameplay-wise - no sites and the like, they have no "peasantry" either, as in, workers - all they have is warriors).

Cave skulkers like kobolds are counted into the civ list though, and would wander and visit, provided their entity has the proper tokens.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 07:07:34 am by ZM5 »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 11:14:32 am »

That's borderline territory, since I'm working on a graphic set, adding sprites for visitors. I can't start changing gameplay by making more visitors (like kobolds), just so people can see their graphics. ^^

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 10:06:42 pm »

I don't think the game doesn't counts them into the proper list of civs, actually - since they lack tokens like [SCOUT], [WANDERER] and the like they wouldn't visit (and even if they had I doubt they would due to how differently underground tribes are treated gameplay-wise - no sites and the like, they have no "peasantry" either, as in, workers - all they have is warriors).

Cave skulkers like kobolds are counted into the civ list though, and would wander and visit, provided their entity has the proper tokens.
From the underground, only plump helmet men and gorlak pops join civs right now.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 07:07:57 am »

I'm aware, thats not who I was talking about though.

Dunmeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 12:13:41 pm »

Personally I think it's probably a good idea to forgo adding specific sprites for guests/travelers/spies/prophets/criminals since they would just look like everyone else. Especially for spies; being obviously clearly distinguishable as spies would be absolutely hilariously terrible.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 08:54:55 pm »

Personally I think it's probably a good idea to forgo adding specific sprites for guests/travelers/spies/prophets/criminals since they would just look like everyone else. Especially for spies; being obviously clearly distinguishable as spies would be absolutely hilariously terrible.

The exact same sprite as the basic individual except they have a 4-pixel false moustache.