Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 25

Author Topic: Is playing dwarf fortress ethical?  (Read 48573 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
Re: Is playing dwarf fortress ethical?
« Reply #120 on: January 17, 2018, 06:14:39 pm »

Reading violent books is unethical. You're creating thinking beings that run on the hardware of your brain just so they can suffer and die.
This is actually something that the Rationalists are worrying about - a sufficiently intelligent and knowledgeable AI might actually, in the process of predicting others' behaviors, produce thinking beings that are quickly deleted. This is usually seen as a bad thing.

Have you considered that that might be what we are?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #121 on: January 17, 2018, 06:18:50 pm »

Meh, that seems like a complicated version of a Boltzmann brain, and I don't see any reason to worry about being a Boltzmann brain. Even if I'm wrong about omnirealism, there's still nothing that I can do about being an unwanted conscious experience in a predictive model.

If I'm right, "deleting" me doesn't actually do anything, it just means that the AI's universe is no longer accessing a logical structure. The structure continues to exist regardless of the simulation.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #122 on: January 17, 2018, 06:40:57 pm »

Reading violent books is unethical. You're creating thinking beings that run on the hardware of your brain just so they can suffer and die.
This is actually something that the Rationalists are worrying about - a sufficiently intelligent and knowledgeable AI might actually, in the process of predicting others' behaviors, produce thinking beings that are quickly deleted. This is usually seen as a bad thing.
And what of the AI's ethics?
What do you mean?
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #123 on: January 17, 2018, 07:14:38 pm »

Well, if the AI is an ethical being (and I would be terrified if it wasn't), what of its ethics? Would it not agree and regard such a thing as unethical?
What does it mean for something to be an ethical being? Is it sufficient to have a system of ethics, or does that system have to approximate/be near to ours?

If we explicitly code the AI's values, it might not consider simulated beings to be morally important unless we code that in as well.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 07:16:35 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Sigtext!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 17, 2018, 07:57:46 pm »

Given that our current method of making AI seems to mostly involve sticking a bunch of neurons in a box and letting it mutate itself until you get something mostly alright, it might prove to be a bit difficult to give them explicit morals or rules.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 17, 2018, 08:28:48 pm »

Ethics don't apply in video games. The characters are inferior to you. They can't even think.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #126 on: January 17, 2018, 09:07:48 pm »

Ethics don't apply in video games. The characters are inferior to you. They can't even think.
True, but it seems plausible that killing video game characters normalizes or cheapens murder. If killing people, even if they are philosophical zombies, makes you a worse person, then you should not kill people.

It's like the Murder-Ghandi Parable.

Given that our current method of making AI seems to mostly involve sticking a bunch of neurons in a box and letting it mutate itself until you get something mostly alright, it might prove to be a bit difficult to give them explicit morals or rules.
That is a really bad idea, and I think we should stop until we understand how to make a mind ourselves, instead of the equivalent of just shaking a time-dilated box until something assembles inside.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 09:09:53 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Sigtext!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 17, 2018, 09:41:47 pm »

I still treat normal people well.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #128 on: January 17, 2018, 10:49:42 pm »

I still treat normal people well.
Of course. My criticism was a mere quibble, only a slight exception to the moral statement you made. Ethics apply within video-games only to the extent that your actions within a video game affect the outside world, which in most cases is minimal. Very few Dwarf Fortress players build magma traps in their basement, for instance.
Sigtext!

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 18, 2018, 12:15:10 pm »

Consciousness remains inexplicable to this day if you get really gritty that's true. But I do believe that our models have some inherent value, even if they will always be incomplete. But I get what you say concerning scientific ideologues tough in my mind that is a direct consequence of our education system and not ill intented scientists or flawed methods. There are a fair amount of people in the field who know that all progress they make are but temporary truths.

If a model is able to make predictions it is a good partial description of reality. Ultimately we can not know reality but does that matter when we share this same perception?

If a model is able to make predictions this implies only that two things in the model is correlated to something else, possibly something not considered *in* the model in the first place.   :)  To all practical considerations this does not really matter, but philosophically it does still matter and hence nothing about the accuracy of the model implies it in any way resembles the actual reality.  That is to say that appearing to do something causes the appearance of something else to well appear does not explain away the possibility that actually you were appearing to do that thing because you were caused to do it by a third thing existing in the unknowable real world, that same thing that also caused the apparent effect to occur (for an example). 

I was careful to make a distinction between science itself and the scientific ideology in my second post, there is no problem in applying the scientific method to get your 'appearances' as it were.  But to answer your question of whether it matters, it matters very, very much.  If we take it that everything that can be known about the real world beyond it's existence is the catalogue of experiences then everyone's experiences add up equally to our collective understanding, there is no competition possible.  The moment we conclude that there is some means by which somebody can arrive at knowledge about the actually existing world beyond appearances, then whoever it is that possess the greatest amount of that means ultimately establishes a tyranny over everybody else; a tyranny that is preceded by a bitter conflict as everybody squabbles to acquire as much of the thing that allows them to access the real world; that thing in science's case is ironically money. 

As for GoblinCookie's "everything could be conscious or non-conscious, we can't really tell" - evidence is weaker than surety, but it can exist in the absence of absolute knowledge. It is more likely that a conscious mind is behind something that passes the Turing Test than something that doesn't, for instance. And we all have to work with the evidence available. Sure, there's a minimal chance that I am in an evil god's Matrix and pressing the "z" button is magically linked to killing a random person, but that doesn't keep me from typing "zymurgy."

Nope.  The Turing Test machine is probably just made to pass the test, so it is really nothing but a magician's trick to make us think that we are dealing with another being when we are not, a step up from an NPC in a regular computer game like DF.  One of the arguments I made that we do not ultimately know that all other people are not just like the Turing test computer, that is a trick made to make us think that are not alone.  The problem is to coming up with something *other than ourselves* in such a lonely universe that would go through all the trouble of inventing such an elaborate trick with no plausible reason to do so since *it* is not actually aware of what is doing.

The more likely reason is that we made all those false people because we were lonely and then deliberately *chose* to forget that they were fake so that we would actually have seemingly real people in order to make us feel like we were not alone. 

True, but it seems plausible that killing video game characters normalizes or cheapens murder. If killing people, even if they are philosophical zombies, makes you a worse person, then you should not kill people.

It's like the Murder-Ghandi Parable.

It is worse than that.  Think back to the good (or bad) old days when people would kill each-other at close range using spears or other melee weapons.  Do you think the grunts were actually thinking about the people they were skewing with their spears as they were skewering them?  Is it not more likely that the folks that trained them gave them mannequins or other dummies to skewer for practice, the real purpose of which was not really to make the better at actually wielding their spears but rather so that skewering things became a semi-reflective act.  In that situation they probably just killed whoever they were told to kill unthinkingly, since skewering things is now second-thought to them. 

Now look to a future where warfare is done by automated killed robots with human controllers.  Now the experience of actually killing people is essentially the same as playing a computer game, so now computer gamers reflective ability to kill the appearance of people by using a joystick, mouse or keyboard makes them the perfect soldiers.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 18, 2018, 01:52:14 pm »

If we take it that everything that can be known about the real world beyond it's existence is the catalogue of experiences then everyone's experiences add up equally to our collective understanding, there is no competition possible.

That moved me very much. And I bet you guessed by now that deep down I'm the kind of idealist dreamer that thinks: one day we might surpass the notion of competetion and the general social darwinism that is rampant, to establish some sort of general olympic spirit (tough the reality of doping let's that expression shine in a very odd twilight).  Reminds me of the inverse correlation between idealism and materialism Bakunin formulated in "God and the State".

Be blessed (stupid monkey brain content because it could establish you as a member of it's tribe, hope you don't mind)
let

MoonyTheHuman

• Bay Watcher
  • I think the DEC VAX hates me.
    • View Profile
    • hellomouse
« Reply #131 on: January 18, 2018, 02:21:43 pm »

My first thought after seeing this thread was "Oh boy"

Nope, it's philosophy!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 18, 2018, 03:23:58 pm »

In order to determine whether running a particular predictive model would create a sapient sub-being inside your own mind, would you not first have to run a predictive model that could in turn have the potential to create a sapient being?

Xyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 18, 2018, 05:12:54 pm »

Is it ethical to simulate an entire world, with history, wars, people with feelings and so on then just to wipe the world and start over.

Are our dorfs simply philosophical zombies? Are they aware of what happens to them?

Is there a difference between being truly sentient and just being programmed to think you are?
#1. it depends on the kind of simulation you're running, it is ethical for DF as it is.

#2. No. No

#3. I don't think there's any way to answer this.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 18, 2018, 08:22:56 pm »

I'm not even reading the walls of text. I like killing simulated characters, what can you do to stop me?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 25