Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 25

Author Topic: Is playing dwarf fortress ethical?  (Read 48731 times)

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Is playing dwarf fortress ethical?
« Reply #255 on: May 22, 2018, 03:47:13 pm »

About bacteria being as intelligent as dwarf fortress dwarves.
They are not.
Bacteria move via something called "run and tumble" which is a ridiculously simple algorithm to write in code. Dwarves are smarter then bacteria because they can pathfind, bacteria actually cant, and  because for example they track memories while a bacteria doesn't, even at that simplistic a level, however a dwarf is in NO WAY as intelligent or complex as the simplest multcellular organism, which required a huge supercomputer with 400 computers to simulate the entire nervous system of (and they pulled it off, look it up, but still 400 computers)

And before you say :
"false bacteria are complex as heck"
complexity ~= intelligence.And while bacteria may be more complex then dwarves, they are not nearly as intelligent as dwarves.

But saying dwarves in dwarf fortress are less intelligent then bacteria is absolute nonsense.
[...]

-snip-

We can't compare that to an entire self-contained organism that runs its own instructions. The bacterium's complexity is its hardware! DF doesn't even simulate a CPU for each dwarf brain!

Wait a minute. I believe Untrustedlife is talking about the actions of dwarves vs. bacteria. Your reply, though, applies to the complexity of the hardware that dwarves and bacteria have. But hardware, a lower level than behavior, isn't necessarily relevant to how intelligent an entity is; to use the terminology of Douglas Hofstadter*, to argue thus "rests on a severe confusion of levels".

*Incedentally, I think that his masterpiece GEB is the sort of book everyone involved in this discussion would enjoy.

You get what I’m saying! Thanks!

I can be terrible at explaining my points sometimes.also I feel bad not letting this thread die.
———————————————————
Edited stuff that I added later below-
—————————————\/—————

My closing statement:
Dwarves in dwarf fortress are NOT alive,
The definition of life from google:
the condition that distinguishes animals and plants from inorganic matter, including the capacity for growth, reproduction, functional activity, and continual change preceding death.

Dwarves can “grow”, dwarves can “reproduce “ via a totally simplified version of reproduction, dwarves can do things but it’s not truly “functional activity “ (functional activity is the act of participating in ones own ability to survive, increasing its own survivability, dwarves could only very loosely be said to do this as they require the player to tell them to get food, and they sometimes run from monsters, but that isn’t true functional activity )  they don’t have cytoplasm , actual flowing blood or any actual physiology (though I think that definition of life is narrow minded as it does in fact prevent you from calling anything computerized life) .And they  don’t go through continuous change. Which means they are really only half-life. (Pardon the pun)

But the “intelligence“ eg behavior, of a dwarf if defined by computing power is more “intelligent” then the behavior of the simplest living organism which is bacteria.

It’s ethical to kill and even torture dwarves, they aren’t actually alive nor are they actually “conscious” as they lack a nervous system. (But bacteria also lack a nervous system, but are actually alive)

It’s perfectly ethical to play dwarf fortress. Assuming “ethical “ means you aren’t harming another living thing.

It’s more ethical to kill a dwarf then to kill a bacteria as bacteria at least fits the definition of life.

Okay I’m done now :p.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 04:38:47 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 22, 2018, 04:14:04 pm »

Please don't feel bad.  Your input has been very interesting, and appreciated!  Ignore the armchair moderators.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

strainer

• Bay Watcher
  • Goatherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 22, 2018, 05:08:20 pm »

they require the player to tell them to get food
Actually, if you dont arrange food for them they will forage and catch vermin themselves to eat, raw.
Theyll also raid water and booze and sleep according their own requirements.

I dont recall exactly but each dwarf and many creatures have about:
  50 behavioural tendency values which slowly change due to their virtual experiences,
  A dozen detailed and varied virtual item preferences,
  About 30 values for respect and regard of abstract subjects
  One of a dozen special goal/satisfaction types and a few deities.
  A list of about 20 specific wants (needs) with details of how well met, and how pressing each is on the virtual psyche 
  Sometimes 100's of relationship links with other units such as friends, quarrels, favorite performers ...

On top of that the very latest versions have also introduced a facility to remember and be affected by emotionally intense (virtual) events.
Klok the Kloker !

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 22, 2018, 06:25:12 pm »

Ignore the armchair moderators.

What is an armchair moderator?

Since I don't know, it's possible I've been unknowingly been one.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 22, 2018, 10:09:53 pm »

they require the player to tell them to get food
Actually, if you dont arrange food for them they will forage and catch vermin themselves to eat, raw.
Theyll also raid water and booze and sleep according their own requirements.

I dont recall exactly but each dwarf and many creatures have about:
  50 behavioural tendency values which slowly change due to their virtual experiences,
  A dozen detailed and varied virtual item preferences,
  About 30 values for respect and regard of abstract subjects
  One of a dozen special goal/satisfaction types and a few deities.
  A list of about 20 specific wants (needs) with details of how well met, and how pressing each is on the virtual psyche 
  Sometimes 100's of relationship links with other units such as friends, quarrels, favorite performers ...

On top of that the very latest versions have also introduced a facility to remember and be affected by emotionally intense (virtual) events.
All these things are as procedural and simplified as the dwarves themselves are. They have no moral weight. Remember that you kill billions of living organisms (bacteria and single-celled animals) just by walking one step.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 23, 2018, 05:36:30 am »

What is an armchair moderator?

Since I don't know, it's possible I've been unknowingly been one.

I think an armchair moderator is someone who sets about trying to regulate others posts as though he were a moderator.

strainer

• Bay Watcher
  • Goatherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 23, 2018, 06:23:26 am »

you kill billions of living organisms (bacteria and single-celled animals) just by walking one step.
I dont expect a footstep does routinely destroy that many microbes - not that they would hardly mind, but the idea of it seems overly tragic. The pressure difference involved should be less significant at microbial scale than for a chipmunk under an elephant toe.
Klok the Kloker !

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 23, 2018, 06:50:33 am »

you kill billions of living organisms (bacteria and single-celled animals) just by walking one step.
I dont expect a footstep does routinely destroy that many microbes - not that they would hardly mind, but the idea of it seems overly tragic. The pressure difference involved should be less significant at microbial scale than for a chipmunk under an elephant toe.

Thanks, even tough the underlying idea is kind of correct the numbers are off. How many times have I stepped on an ant without crushing it? Not to mention the size of our pores.

Other than that this thread keeps reminding me the chinese room. Remember the chinese room is just a tought experiment (tough not one as dumbshit as the archers paradox).

Armchair moderators

Some people prefer things locked. Door Locked. Window locked. Pantzippers locked. Thread locked. State of mind locked. World view locked.
let

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 23, 2018, 07:15:15 am »

Thanks, even tough the underlying idea is kind of correct the numbers are off. How many times have I stepped on an ant without crushing it? Not to mention the size of our pores.

Other than that this thread keeps reminding me the chinese room. Remember the chinese room is just a tought experiment (tough not one as dumbshit as the archers paradox).

Armchair moderators

Some people prefer things locked. Door Locked. Window locked. Pantzippers locked. Thread locked. State of mind locked. World view locked.
The thing is, there are about 7 billion or more microbes on a patch of average house floor the size of a foot. Assuming a 1/10 chance of killing a microbe by stepping on it, you are killing 700 million microbes with every step. Still tragic, eh? Even more outside houses.

strainer

• Bay Watcher
  • Goatherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 23, 2018, 07:43:33 am »

See that 1/10 is way off - If you repeatedly stamp on a bit of ground you wont really make any progress towards sterilizing it. The idea of microbe 'killing' is tenuous too, theres no particular logic to regard oneself as quite such a walking apocalypse, though at any scale its impossible to completely avoid harm.
Klok the Kloker !

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 23, 2018, 07:53:51 am »

You won't make progress, because the microbes that survive are in little cracks in the ground. But you would eventually kill off most of these that were outside the nooks, if you stomped a spot on the ground for 3 hours. Just accept it.

strainer

• Bay Watcher
  • Goatherd
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 23, 2018, 08:29:00 am »

I accept your challenge :) To imagine such a scene regard little details. The only microbes in danger of a bit of a squishing will be the ones perched on rare pinnacles of the tiny landscape that happen to contact the soles texture, and most will even be resilient to an occasional squish. The change in lighting is likely more disruptive than compressions. Its a crazy party down there anyway, microbes are spared the facilities to lament their apparent misfortunes and are quickly reincarnated.
Klok the Kloker !

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 23, 2018, 08:37:34 am »

Armchair moderators

Wait a minute. We have moderators for a reason, correct? Then if someone not a moderator is doing the same thing as them, it can sometimes be a good thing, can it not? Certainly, they wouldn't necessarily be utterly narrow-minded (and that's not even going into the fact that "narrow-mindedness of the opponent" as an argument is ad hominem.)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 23, 2018, 08:44:01 am »

Actually, we don't have moderators, we have exactly one admin who does all the moderating himself. And personally, I think that's a good thing. When you have some members of the community who have power over everyone else, you can end up with an unhealthy power dynamic.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 23, 2018, 08:56:18 am »

I accept your challenge :) To imagine such a scene regard little details. The only microbes in danger of a bit of a squishing will be the ones perched on rare pinnacles of the tiny landscape that happen to contact the soles texture, and most will even be resilient to an occasional squish. The change in lighting is likely more disruptive than compressions. Its a crazy party down there anyway, microbes are spared the facilities to lament their apparent misfortunes and are quickly reincarnated.
Well, the changes in lighting will also kill microbes, leaving the death toll rather high, so whatever. They will breed again in about a minute like nothing happened.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 25