Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where is the 32 Bit release?  (Read 4131 times)

buuface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where is the 32 Bit release?
« on: January 03, 2018, 09:27:26 pm »

The only dl link i can find for the latest version is the 64 bit version

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=5315

I thought there was a 32 bit version as well?

Brutaka001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where is the 32 Bit release?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 09:49:04 pm »

Go to http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/ as a start, obviously. A little less than half way down the page, dated at "06/28/2016" is a post titled "We've posted the new development page with artifacts and myths." This has the link for a 32-bit test download. If you STILL can't find the download after these instructions, then the link is right here:
 http://bay12games.com/dwarves/redist/df_sdl_32_wintest.zip

NOTE: This is the base Dwarf Fortress game, and not Masterwork DF. MDF has NOT been updated to 32-bit or 64-bit as far as I can tell since the recent return of Meph. Since the game is not needed to be in these formats, I doubt that Meph will waste time formatting his own mods to match since more people use the 16-bit version.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 09:58:11 am »

Is there any actual diffirence between 32 and 64 bit "versions"? I not tested much, but " 64bit versions" appear to work just fine. Something to do with DFhack? If yes, what exactly?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 10:01:58 am by MCreeper »

Brutaka001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 10:16:32 am »

My bad. When i put that note i was at work and failed to see the updates for 64-bit. Plus the only difference is graphical, better graphics for the same game. Only low end cpus will see a difference since it's 2x and 4x the pixels to keep up with than normal.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 01:03:01 pm »

I actually meant, why it's impossible to just put 64 bit mod on 32 bit DF?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 01:05:08 pm by MCreeper »

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 04:28:47 pm »

My bad. When i put that note i was at work and failed to see the updates for 64-bit. Plus the only difference is graphical, better graphics for the same game. Only low end cpus will see a difference since it's 2x and 4x the pixels to keep up with than normal.
The graphical difference is accidental to the real benefit: More memory, ergo larger embarks (anything above a certain area crashes in 32 bit,) older worlds, etc...
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Brutaka001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 03:45:04 pm »

Yea but lower end cpus will crash on larger embarks as well. Like I can't embark higher that a 5x5 are with a serious drop of FPS.