Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Cryptocurrency?  (Read 13667 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cryptocurrency?
« Reply #120 on: August 23, 2018, 08:16:25 am »

That's not a good reason to mine bitcoins. Different coins have differing levels of profitability. Bitcoin is just the common unit of exchange for getting it into $USD. It's more normal to mine something like Litecoin+Doge+Via (through merged mining) then sell the resultant coin types to get BTC.

JamesCorella

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account Lets Plays
« Reply #121 on: August 24, 2018, 07:44:51 pm »

Good reason to mine is because dorf.

No, but seriously I wouldn't mind mining some Doge and Litecoin, anyone mining those? Or know anything about mining them? Or the best way to do it? Some tips
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 01:48:08 pm by JamesCorella »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 01, 2018, 12:27:48 am »

Much wow, my doge is skyrocketing in value, it's doubled in value in the last two days.

https://ethereumworldnews.com/dogecoin-doge-usd-only-double-digit-gainer-above-20-as-doge-ethereum-is-announced/

For the past few months Dogecoin has been making various major announcements as an attempt to keep up with the growing crypto-verse. The latest now being the team declaration that on Sep 5th, 2018 the token transferring bridge between Ethereum’s network and Dogecoin’s chain will be released.

Dogethereum

The team behind the meme-d coin is working rigorously on the smart contract – Dogethereum. While performing as a bridge, it does enable transfers between the two chains easily. The elaborated coin here is in more benefit as its range of operations increases accordingly with the second in lead Ethereum’s flexibility with smart contracts.

When the connection is commenced, Dogecoin will gain from the link by being supported from Ethereum’s stable token price movement and liquidity. This comes as a conclusion from the services that Ethereum delivers.

~~~

BTW for mining Doge, you don't do it directly. Dogecoin and VIA support merged mining, in which proof of work on another chain counts as proof of work on both their chains. Then, you pick another coin such as Litecoin, mine through a pool, and you can get all three coins.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 03:42:54 am by Reelya »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 01, 2018, 03:51:43 am »

Good reason to mine is because dorf.

No, but seriously I wouldn't mind mining some Doge and Litecoin, anyone mining those? Or know anything about mining them? Or the best way to do it? Some tips

Sorry for the double-post, but I thought I'd have a try at answering this question. A couple of hours ago I decided to see what coins multipool (the pool I use) is mining, it is in fact Litecoin. Then, i looked into possible recent mining software. The most promising one was Multiminer.

So I downloaded Multiminer while doing other stuff, made some new workers on the pool and got it working on a laptop first. The laptop only got 1KHs, so integated graphics cards are useless for this. So then I decided to try Multiminer out on my main PC, it's the same PC I mined Doge on back in 2014.

After tweaking the settings to manually control the mining intensity, i'm getting ~140-145 KH/s out of a machine that was maxxing out around 80-85 KH/s with SGMiner a few years ago. I've already gotten some accepted shares. Just be aware that there's a sweet-spot for intensity for each machine: find that point then drop intensity a couple of points and you can still have enough framerate left over to watch movies while having a high hash rate. The difference between those two points for me is only 5KH/s worth of hashrate.

So, yeah, if you want to mine with a GPU, try out Multiminer, mine through a pool, turn off "dynamic intensity" (you have to untick at least 2 tickboxes and put the intensity flag in manually) and mine Litecoin.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 06:01:48 pm by Reelya »

JamesCorella

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 02, 2018, 11:19:50 pm »

Thank you Reelya, I will definitely be trying that out in the morning!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 03, 2018, 08:55:01 am »

Tried it last night.

Seemed like when I tried an intensity above about 16 it would just crap out.  Like it fails to connect to the pool and never starts.

I got five shares but no idea on how to access those coin crumbs.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 03, 2018, 09:02:21 pm »

You can leave your little shares on your pool indefinitely, they're held in a common pool wallet. But to "get" them you need to download the relevant wallet software, create an address, then give your address to the pool and request a payout.

however, for popular coins theses days you're going to get a truly paltry about of coins. For example, back at the start of 2014 I was able to obtain 60000 Doge by mining over a few months, but as the pool-size increased, and especially with merged mining, the amount obtainable by a normal person approached zero (i can get like 1/10000th of a Dogecoin per share with my old video card now).

If you want coins to say "gee look I have coins" then you need to look for some type of coin where there's an extremely low total hashrate, so that your hash counts as a bigger chunk of the coins. Big coins have hashrates in the gigahash, terahash or petahash ranges. A small coin can have a hash of only a few hundred Megahash, so you're getting a much bigger chunk of the available coins for your mining contribution.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 09:06:12 pm by Reelya »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 04, 2018, 12:17:16 pm »

I ran multiminer overnight, got some 80 accepted, but neither my wallet nor the pool (multipool) have any coins.

There's a problem somewhere but I don't have much more patience to really figure it out.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 04, 2018, 01:43:44 pm »

80 accepts is pretty good, what's your hashrate like? Also what are you mining, is it SHA256 or Scrypt? Whichever type you're doing will affect where on the pool your coins appear, under Account > Balances. you almost certainly would want to do Scrypt and not SHA256. I don't know much about the third type X11.

It should be easy to fix. You should have the stratum url, port number such as 3334, a valid "username.workername" on the miner, and you should have also made that workername on the pool so that it knows who is mining. Then, look at Account > Workers, and it'll tell you the last time that worker received a share.

BTW the coins do not go to your wallet, you need to accumulate them then ask for a transaction, otherwise it would be prohibitive since the transactions would be too small.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2018, 01:51:56 pm by Reelya »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 04, 2018, 03:42:31 pm »

I have a hashrate around 30-40 kps.  Dosn't seem bragworthy, but neither is the GPU I'm using either.  At the moment I'm using scrypt, even though its basically pointless to mine those types with a gpu anymore.

The problem was that multipool adds a ".1" to the end of your worker's name.  So now the pool "sees" my worker, uh, working.  I think there's a minimum 20 accepts before any payout, so I'll run it again while I sleep or maybe while I'm away playing at the comic shop.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

JamesCorella

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 05, 2018, 11:05:57 am »

You mentioned about adding a .1 to the worker? lets say my worker is jamescorella.main I have to add a .1 on multiminer? Worker name: jamescorella.main.1 ? Is that why my worker shows as never have been active, or have I just not mined long enough?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 11:09:52 am by JamesCorella »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 05, 2018, 01:21:09 pm »

Now I'm the proud(?) owner of one millionth of a single litecoin. woo

Edit: and a bunch of (fractional) Dogecoin, too

You mentioned about adding a .1 to the worker? lets say my worker is jamescorella.main I have to add a .1 on multiminer? Worker name: jamescorella.main.1 ? Is that why my worker shows as never have been active, or have I just not mined long enough?

Well, that's how my specific pool that I'm contributing for works.  On there my account can have multiple workers assigned to it, presumably the next one would have a .2 instead.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]