Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bristlewalled -- Tales of Treachery and Paranoia  (Read 1425 times)

ViridiLupus

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Hatwearer
    • View Profile
Bristlewalled -- Tales of Treachery and Paranoia
« on: December 17, 2017, 06:13:09 pm »

Starting in December 2017, myself and a few friends on IRC began a succession game. Because we all live in different time zones, and because we're all writer nerds, we decided to keep in-character journals of our turns, like the classic succession games of old. And because writing for an audience of 3 people is kind of unsatisfying, we're gonna publish the game here on the forums, in addition to the running log kept on Google Drive. (And because the whole thing was my idea, that job falls to me.)

Welcome to the World of Prophecies. It is the year 153, and goblins and elves have reduced the number of extant dwarven civilizations to a mere 2. The surviving dwarves are woefully outnumbered, besieged on all sides, and waiting in bitter anticipation for the elves to attack. It seems that within the century, dwarfkind could be totally extinct.

Enter Bristlewalled, the final bastion of dwarfdom on the Continent of Squids, and possibly in the world. Far to the south, beyond the equator and past the frontier of elven settlement, seven foolhardy dwarves have set out with the goal to create a new mountainhome within the Stoked Mountain -- one that can weather the inevitable elven onslaught. The future of the dwarves may rest entirely on their success or failure. No pressure, right?

The story is hosted on Google Drive, and the first two chapters are already available. I'll be updating this topic as more chapters go live.

Chapters:

« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 03:01:17 pm by ViridiLupus »

ViridiLupus

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Hatwearer
    • View Profile
Re: Bristlewalled -- Tales of Treachery and Paranoia
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 11:16:52 am »

Chapter 3 is now up! Brought to us all by ChaoSera, it covers the Year 155, the third year of the fortress, in which things do not go according to plan. (Although do they ever?) There'll be a short intermission chapter later today/tomorrow, and then I'll pick up the save again and play the fourth year (and probably post that chapter on Christmas Day).

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 11:21:22 am »

This seems interesting! :D

What on earth do you do to get the elven visitors to show up? I've had mine go for a year now, with every other civ in range, and nothing other than animals, a kobold thief, and the dwarven caravan have shown up.
DF Veterans- n. - One who has lost one or more forts due to a stupid oversight.

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow
Just never forget,/That Bloodyhells is always a threat.

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 03:49:49 pm »

PTW

Stoat tales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 07:15:36 pm »

PTW, looking good so far

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2017, 07:43:27 pm »

-Wrong Topic-

ViridiLupus

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Hatwearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2017, 03:05:51 pm »

Chapter 4 is now up, wherein I learn that I am very bad at causing cave-ins, and discover that the queen consort is possibly the most badass dwarf ever. The planned intermission ended up just kind of getting blended into the first entry of the year, although at some point I intend to do a full write-up on the history and relations of the various civs in the World of Prophecies.

What on earth do you do to get the elven visitors to show up? I've had mine go for a year now, with every other civ in range, and nothing other than animals, a kobold thief, and the dwarven caravan have shown up.

If I knew what was making them show up, we'd know how to stop them. Unfortunately, they seem to just turn up whenever they feel like it.