Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: OPERATION MARKET STORM: TURN 7, Mission 1: Ich gebe auf! (6/5)  (Read 16431 times)

Questorhank

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll find something to put here... eventually
    • View Profile

What would it take to kill a PC, considering the team-based health?

RTD Graveyard
Many people have gone missing or died.
I don't remember their names.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile

What would it take to kill a PC, considering the team-based health?

I was hoping for a gothic speaking char! And *spoiler* vehicles (planes, tanks, jeeps, etc, etc) are a thing you can capture and use for missions and you should expect that to be a very potent option but one that also mandates good logistics. Don't expect to hang unto them constantly unless you figure out a way to keep them ammoed, fueled, camouflaged (so you can move behind lines), crewed, maintained and choose mission sites that you can actually reach with the vehicle. And additionally there's always the chance that the enemy has the weapons needed to knock it out. But. I should remind you that a 7.5 cm KwK 40 is a 7.5 cm KwK 40 and you can expect it and other comparable vehicle weapons to be on a whole, completely separate scale than regular weapons.

Its basically impossible die (unless you decide to shoot yourself), but actually I think you'll find it to be a double edge sword because it means that if one player can effectively waste the whole teams health bar by being focused. If a player takes a lot of damage that will be reflected in the fire superiority value and you are likely to take 2x damage next turn so you'll be quickly routed. Hopefully that should prevent cheesy, overly long battles where a PC is being completely railed while contextually remaining 'alive.'

Losing a battle will have be repercussions on the plot and can lead to you being continually pursued by the enemy until you have no supplies and you are forced to surrender. Victories give you momentum because you are able to capture supplies (weapons/ammo) or call for them. If you are defeated and the enemy is still around you'll have wasted ammo, won't have captured any weapons or ammo and additionally won't be able to be resupplied due to enemy presence in the area of your loss. So in other words being 'immortal' doesn't really help you in anyway other than the fact that your damage output won't lower in battle when players take lots of damage.

That being said chapters can feature new rules and players should expect additions/changes like a death mechanic (Its my choice ;D).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 01:33:52 am by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile

Name: Hans Koring Staffenberg

Race: Elf

Appearance: An average sized elf, Hans has a line of freckles across the bridge of his nose, straw-blonde neck length hair with a thin braid hanging over the right side and pale blue eyes.

Bio: Having recently immigrated from Low Gothia as a child, Hans and his family have always been treated as outsiders, mainly by those with an anti-Gothic bent. The increasing turmoil and tension in Europe due to the actions of Low Gothia, his homeland, haven't really improved his circumstances. In fact, Hans joined the Royal Commandos not only to prove his loyalty to his new country but to become a hero in hopes of changing how Gothic immigrants like himself are treated.

During his time in England, Hans have taken an interest in its mystical and esoteric legacy. From griffons and dragons to runes left behind by the druids of old, Hans have always believed that there was an even stranger world out there that is hidden from the mundane senses of people, existing beyond the laws of nature. He believed that this Uber Realitat or "super reality" as he named it existed beyond the collective awareness of ordinary beings and that magic itself is just a tiny fragment of it that people know of. Of course he could be wrong but as his father always say: 'The world is still filled with mystery.'

Despite the fact that he was raised by honest people, Hans quickly find that persuading others to see his way of things turned out to be a valuable skill. Using the right choice of words and an understanding of the other person, Hans can either persuade them to back down, reconsider a previous decision, or even goad them into action.

Abilities/skills:

• Silver-tongued: Making use of the right things to say and a bit of wit, Hans can influence almost anyone, either allies or foes, into action. +2 Bonus to persuasion, insulting, and inspiration actions
  • Magosensory Perception: A result of his Uber Realitat theory, Han's have taken classes that allows him to sense the presence and characteristics of spells and other magical events in a location, as well as their possible duration and effects. In combat, this will allow him to determine whether the enemy is being affected by some sort of buff that's not immediately apparent or if someone is somehow affecting the battlefield from afar. +1 bonus to magic detection actions.
  • Tactician: Examining and exploiting battlefield conditions and opportunities, Hans can easily utilize any advantages he have to hit the enemy where it really hurts, either by doing it himself or advising his allies. +25% chance of success for flanking, ambushing, and feinting actions.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 05:14:28 pm by Sir Elventide »

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile

Character feedback time!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yay! I was reallyreallyreally hoping for a nonsnooty elf PC! Prepared to get foiled like mad! Anyways the bio is cool, I like the 'Uber Realitat' bit cuz that kind of the red pill/down the rabbit hole stuff is definitely what the game is going to pace towards so I think your character will be quite a good fit for the story.

About your skills. Magosensory Perception checks out perfectly. The way it will work is that you submit an action asking to sense magic along with your other turn actions and I'll roll a 6 sided. The higher the more confident you are that their is magic or not.

Silver Tongue is checks out too but actions made using it will be contextualized meaning that rolling high won't always end with you getting exactly your way. Like don't expect to be able to insult the Low Gothic soldiers into running out of their positions with bayonets cuz you rolled an 8 when insulting them. If you want to narrow it down to a skill with more discrete, repeatable results you could change it to a skill that allows you to preform an 'inspiring action' that halves the enemies fire superiority value for a single turn in combat (I guess than it would be a combat skill, but IMO thats fine cuz Magosensory is kind of like a out of combat skill) or one that lets you preform intuition checks that give you clues as how to manipulate NPCs.

Tactician will basically work out as a +1 to purely contextual combat actions based around flanking, distracting or ambushing. Just like Silver Tongue it will have unclear contextual limits when used. If you want more repeatable, discrete skill you could consider one that lets you designate a target for flanking which increases the damage it receives double damage from short range attacks, one that affects the fire superiority values like an ambush skill that doubles your teams fire superiority value for a turn or a check that lets you discern what actions your enemy (or if they have hidden units) is likely to take next turn.
Jim will make a good addition to the team as a mechanically interested character. I was hoping that there'd be some PC interest in vehicles cuz I kind of know too much about era vehicles. And he has a niece you say? Well! I can't imagine at all ever that anything could possibly happen that makes her plot relevant.

As for skills. SirElventides character will have the ability to speak Gothic in accordance with the context of his bio. I'm thinking I'll grant you another non combat skill if you so desire so that you don't have to spend a skill to have something that someone else on your team has without needing a skill.

Mechanic is a interesting skills and could take form in a number of ways: as a combat skill it could be used to grant your team a damage bonus (say like 2x) against one machine that you designate in combat, or enable you to roll to restore the health of your vehicles in combat (I guess I didn't announce this anywhere but vehicles will have a separate health bar from the shared one, when it runs out it forces the allied PCs/NPCs to bail). As an out of combat skill it could enable you to diagnose vehicle damage and repair it (given the parts are contextually available).

Covered checks out perfectly and will work by making cover block more shots. Cover doesn't have HP (I'm guessing that the mechanics description on it might have been misleading) rather it blocks a fixed number of hits every time you are attacked (it never can block the first one though) in it so your skill will make any cover you cover behind block 1.25 times the hits.
Spoiler: Here we go (click to show/hide)
Great bio with clear character ambitions and plenty of plot-able stuff. Expect there to be lots of stufff to explore as far as the setting goes and maybe, who knows, Maddie might be the one to figure out these things about the creatures of Euro-Roma.

Ask for skills. Forbidden Knowledge checks out perfectly and does exactly what you wrote. I'll be feeding you magic context clues. But remember as it is written this skill doesn't detect magic in any definite way.

Camouflague will +1 to contextual combat actions that seek to have you not be shot at in combat while outdoors. Of course as with the other heavily contextual skills it will have contextualized effects that may not always be discernible to you. If you want to change it to something with more discrete, predictable results perhaps it could prevent you from being shot at until you shoot while outdoors, or force enemies shooting at you while your outside to roll a +3 check to see if they can find you to shoot at you.

Psychological Warfare checks out perfectly and as written the fire superiority contribution made by sniper weapons you use will be doubled.

NOTE: Once you're all satisfied with your characters I'll add your characters to the OP with rewritten skill texts. The purpose of rewriting them is just so I remember exactly how they work on my side.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: OPERATION MARKET STORM: a high fantasy WW adventure. INSTALLING MAGIC 3/5
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2018, 02:59:33 am »

I agree with the changes you suggested. Want me to edit the bio or will you do it?

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2018, 05:12:02 pm »

I agree with the changes you suggested. Want me to edit the bio or will you do it?

Oh, I wasn't going to edit your bio, just the skills/abilities text (not the effects) for internal consistency between various skills and across chars too. But before I can do that... Did you want to change Silver Tongue and Tactician into skills I suggested (if so tell me which ones for each) or did you want them with the effects I explained they had?

Your bio doesn't violate any game-world history or anything so I don't require any edits. But feel free to make any and all change so you want.

Side Note: I realize in hind sight that 'Prepare to get foiled like mad' is a really confusing comment. I meant foiled as in this.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 06:15:06 pm by WunderKatze »

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2018, 06:43:12 pm »

Oh, I wasn't going to edit your bio, just the skills/abilities text (not the effects) for internal consistency between various skills and across chars too. But before I can do that... Did you want to change Silver Tongue and Tactician into skills I suggested (if so tell me which ones for each) or did you want them with the effects I explained they had?

Your bio doesn't violate any game-world history or anything so I don't require any edits. But feel free to make any and all change so you want.

Side Note: I realize in hind sight that 'Prepare to get foiled like mad' is a really confusing comment. I meant foiled as in this.

You may allow Tactician to discern what actions the enemy will take next turn(and any hidden units they may have) and Silver-Tongued to make intuition checks on NPCs to figure out the best ways to manipulate them. Also, I meant editing the skills instead of my bio. Sorry.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 06:45:43 pm by Sir Elventide »

Questorhank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: OPERATION MARKET STORM: a high fantasy WW adventure. EXPOSITION 100% 3/5
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2018, 12:11:53 am »

Would I still speak Gothic? If so, see below. If not, I'll keep Gothic.
New skill:
Straight Faced - Jim has fewer tells than most people (+1 on lies/general deception)
RTD Graveyard

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: OPERATION MARKET STORM: a high fantasy WW adventure. EXPOSITION 100% 3/5
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2018, 01:29:06 am »

Great bio with clear character ambitions and plenty of plot-able stuff. Expect there to be lots of stufff to explore as far as the setting goes and maybe, who knows, Maddie might be the one to figure out these things about the creatures of Euro-Roma.

Ask for skills. Forbidden Knowledge checks out perfectly and does exactly what you wrote. I'll be feeding you magic context clues. But remember as it is written this skill doesn't detect magic in any definite way.

Camouflague will +1 to contextual combat actions that seek to have you not be shot at in combat while outdoors. Of course as with the other heavily contextual skills it will have contextualized effects that may not always be discernible to you. If you want to change it to something with more discrete, predictable results perhaps it could prevent you from being shot at until you shoot while outdoors, or force enemies shooting at you while your outside to roll a +3 check to see if they can find you to shoot at you.

Psychological Warfare checks out perfectly and as written the fire superiority contribution made by sniper weapons you use will be doubled.

NOTE: Once you're all satisfied with your characters I'll add your characters to the OP with rewritten skill texts. The purpose of rewriting them is just so I remember exactly how they work on my side.

Regarding camouflage, I'm definitely looking for more of a predator-style playstyle, where the enemy can't find me as I pick them off, rather than a one-shot ambush deal.
Out of the three you mentioned, I'm having a hard time telling the gameplay difference between "+1 to contextual combat actions that seek to have you not be shot at in combat while outdoors" and "force enemies shooting at you while your outside to roll a +3 check to see if they can find you to shoot at you." Can't I just always be trying to shoot from a concealed position (which would make it hard for the enemy to find me?)
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2018, 01:38:29 am »

You may allow Tactician to discern what actions the enemy will take next turn(and any hidden units they may have) and Silver-Tongued to make intuition checks on NPCs to figure out the best ways to manipulate them. Also, I meant editing the skills instead of my bio. Sorry.

Ok! I don't want that typo to steal your chance to edit your skills, if you had any other ideas for skills you can edit them in. For now though I'll change them to intuition and the enemy turn check things.

Would I still speak Gothic? If so, see below. If not, I'll keep Gothic.
New skill:
Straight Faced - Jim has fewer tells than most people (+1 on lies/general deception)

Yes you would. Perfect. I'll add it to OP.

Regarding camouflage, I'm definitely looking for more of a predator-style playstyle, where the enemy can't find me as I pick them off, rather than a one-shot ambush deal.
Out of the three you mentioned, I'm having a hard time telling the gameplay difference between "+1 to contextual combat actions that seek to have you not be shot at in combat while outdoors" and "force enemies shooting at you while your outside to roll a +3 check to see if they can find you to shoot at you." Can't I just always be trying to shoot from a concealed position (which would make it hard for the enemy to find me?)

Well. There is no formal mechanics for stealth. Skills are supposed to add that dimension to the game. So what I'm saying is if you get +1 to not being detected outdoors you will have every varied results using the skill and you'll be making me roll a dice and decide each turn how things should work based on context, a 1/3 chance to elude enemy fire while outdoors will give you more consistent, predictable results.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Questorhank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: OPERATION MARKET STORM: a high fantasy WW adventure. RECRUITING 3/5
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2018, 05:58:37 pm »

Would it take a skill to obtain witchcraft? Or do we just have to find a way to contact evil spirits?
RTD Graveyard

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2018, 06:07:17 pm »

Would it take a skill to obtain witchcraft? Or do we just have to find a way to contact evil spirits?

Either works, a lot skills can be gained contextually outside of post chapter level ups. :D

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2018, 06:36:07 pm »

What if we start out with a specialized focus, i.e., bigger bombs, then move out to more general use?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2018, 01:49:28 am »

What if we start out with a specialized focus, i.e., bigger bombs, then move out to more general use?

Well. Right now we have a mechanic, a sniper and a tactician. So we have something like that. And I'm not sure I know what you mean but a skill can't make a bomb bigger, but it can help you hit more reliably with it/use it.

The problem you guys have to solve in every combat scenario is how to get a higher superiority value then your much more numerous opponents to achieve quick routes, this means you need to figure out how to shut down MGs or other weapons which shoot or do big damage a lot and stay in cover to prevent taking a lot of damage.

Specialization will help your team have a diversified tool kit to deal with specific threats quicker while generalization prevent players from not being forced into using sub optimal weapons that are outside their specialization (ex: if you have an explosive guy and you didn't find any explosives then he might have to fight a mission without initially having explosives).

Anyways,

You should make a character. :D

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: OPERATION MARKET STORM: a high fantasy WW adventure. RECRUITING 3(+1)/5
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2018, 08:31:53 am »

Oh, I meant on term of witchcraft powers. My bad.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11