Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: OPERATION MARKET STORM: TURN 7, Mission 1: Ich gebe auf! (6/5)  (Read 16197 times)

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
Re: OPERATION MARKET STORM: a high fantasy WW adventure. RECRUITING 3(+1)/5
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2018, 01:24:02 pm »

Oh, I meant on term of witchcraft powers. My bad.

Ohhh! Well. It's between you guys if you decide you all want to dabble in witchcraft (wait until command hears about this one!), you'd have to spend your skills on it or make it a priority during game.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 01:44:00 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2018, 02:17:46 pm »

Spoiler: Zehn Graftkin (click to show/hide)

Third Version.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 04:25:38 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2018, 02:20:20 am »

Hey so what is the history of this settings America equivalents, I'm thinking of making a Foreign Volunteer from there.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: OPERATION MARKET STORM: a high fantasy WW adventure. RECRUITING 3(+2)/5
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2018, 03:46:45 pm »

Sheet updated, first draft done.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2018, 09:18:17 pm »

Hey so what is the history of this settings America equivalents, I'm thinking of making a Foreign Volunteer from there.

Here! A brief, brief sketch of American political history. Of course, the uncovered subtopics are endless but I hope you find this in line with the other countries expositions I've provided. If you wondering what their cultural landscape looks like atm, super stores, film, radio, cars and the American Civil war is relatively fresh in cultural memory.

Cars, films and such are also super popular on the continent the main difference being that Americans haven't been faced with the prospect of national war with huge political ramifications for a while so they don't have as much distracting them from liking nice things as continental countries do.

Name: Zehn Graftkin
Race: Orc
Appearance: A thick, solidly built orc, he has dark eyes and hair, and tries to keep his uniform neat at all times.
Backstory: English, spent time in the remote colonies learning folk magic and spirit-speaking. He lost several comrades but also several local friends, and as such has become overly protective of his comrades, but instead of holding back he became more aggressive. When the war started, England needed machinegunners.
Skills:

Necromancy- overseas, Zehn learned from tribal mages how to speak to the spirits of the dead and placate them with offerings to gain their cooperation.
Man of Many Words: Zehn knows some languages from his time overseas, and took the time to pick up some Gothic before he shipped out. Speaks Gothic.
Machinegunner - +1 to suppressing fire.

First draft complete.

An orc! Was also hoping for an orc! The bio looks great but I see its hampered by my lack of information on certain topics. Namely English colonies and Necromancy.

If you spent time in the colonies and lost a lot of comrades it sounds like you might have been a English Regular or part of English Colonial Auxiliary Forces in Hindu (India) or Afrika, the English Colonial Auxiliary Forces are less trained and would handle skirmishes with unsettled natives and police duties (this is a good pick if you don't like the idea of already being a super trained soldier), the aforementioned are professional, highly trained (considered the best army in the world at the time) soldiers with huge amount of abroad experience. Both Hindu and Afrika have prominent folk magics. Zehn is English born, right?

Academically, talking to spirits is considered more the province of astrology and subversive magics used to glean insights from fleeting souls (there is debate over what a 'soul' is, some more dreary types suppose its just memories and their derivative personalities). Necromancy is a overt form of magic that (most usually) involves handling dead bodies and stuffing them with various ingredients and totems or  with some/all/one of the following ambitions, reconstituting a soul (maybe I should say memories) into a physical form (that may not be its original form), revitalizing a body, creating a new life form from organic/inorganic material (often dead things). Of course magic academia is basically absent from regular culture so it is often that folk magics (like ancient Gothic traditions) relate the two. Necromancy one of the least ethical thing someone can do next to witchcraft (I mean that matter-of-factly, don't interpret it as critique on your char idea) in Euro-Roman culture and in early modern times surgery was forbidden as it was suspected as a pseudo form of Necromancy.

And finally your skills. Orc of many words (as I'm calling it) is befitting your character and it won't just be gothic you know. It'll be lots of things. High jesus that's a relief on my side as every border hop you guys do doesn't create a plot nightmare for me.

Necromancy is a great skill and one that sounds very fun to me as GM. You'll roll a dice to commune with the dead and mannn the things you could do with it in and out of combat sound cool. Offerings will change the context of the communing, it doesn't increase the chance of succeeding a commune rather changes the duration and context. I mean why would an enemy soldier want to tell you useful things if you don't offer to him.

Machinegunner is a good skill that is likely to define your combat role. Suppression isn't a contextual action its actually covered in the mechanics as part of the fire superiority deal. So instead of a +1 blanket a mechanics based skill is recommended. These could be things like a +2d6 to your contribution to your teams fire superiority when firing more than 10 rounds with a machine gun. Or something else similar. Check the mechanics page if you want to come up with one.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 11:12:44 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2018, 10:14:40 pm »

Hi ho, I present you with a first draft of a sheet

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: OPERATION MARKET STORM: a high fantasy WW adventure. AMERIQUE! 4(+2)/5
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2018, 11:06:17 am »

Updated sheet for feedback.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
Re: OPERATION MARKET STORM: a high fantasy WW adventure. AMERIQUE! 4(+2)/5
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2018, 03:57:07 pm »

Updated sheet for feedback.

Interesting choice for the Machine gunner skill! This skill will allow you to reduce the damage that targets you shoot deal in the same turn. This skill is independent of the weapon you use and also will work against vehicles.

The bio is missing to specifics that I will choose if you don't (they don't change too much) which are the colony you are from and how you lost your friends. From the context I gather that you were some kind of police, not really a big deal but I would like to know going in. Otherwise you are ready.

Hi ho, I present you with a first draft of a sheet

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Awesome! I like the characterization! A lot, actually. As for skills, Demolition orc (as I'm calling it) is supposed to- ooo good thing you added cannon in there, that will come in handy- be your combat defining trait I suppose. Explosives are fired similar to other weapons except when you fire one explosive I roll multiple dice, the idea being that the more hits you get the closer the target is to the blast. Explosives also will hit multiple targets if contextually appropriate and the full number of dice will be rolled against targets also in the blast. Explosives can also destroy obstacles if contextually appropriate. Demolition orc could come in a multitude of forms an example being that you get +2 dice to any explosive you use including anti-tank guns or artillery guns. I think you will come in handy paired with our mechanic. Cannons, mechanics and people who are good at cannons seem like a good fit.

Family orc sounds like a fun skill, my main draw to it is the children clause. I'm going to use a dice modifier for this skill because it will be easier for me to quantify even though honestly I think that contextual action dice modifiers are going to be problematic in my game. +1 to positive, wholesome speech, -1 to negative, insulting speech that would make your poor orc mom cry and +2 to communing with the playground overlords (or children as we sometimes call them).

Surprisingly nimble. This skill is harder to turn into mechanics. Easy things for it to be is a movement increase, I think i specified that on average you can traverse one range (short -> medium -> long), Surprisingly nimble could increase that to two (which would be useful for an explosive user who really needs to demo something). But that doesn't really sound nimble to me. Perhaps you get cover -2 hit cover (not -2 to hit rolls rather it blocks two hits, read cover mechanics for specifics) when you are shot at while contextually moving.

Ok. That makes 6 when slick is done. I think we are approaching the start of the game now.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2018, 03:59:13 pm »

Waiting for you! :D

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Third draft in.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile

That all seems great. Going to go with the second option for the last one and rename it schrapnel avoider, because while reading it I got the mental image of a burly orc legging it away from an explosive device at top speed, trying to dodge pieces of shrapnel all the way. I feel like that's a much too common occurence in the life of a demolition orc.

Spoiler: Krilge (click to show/hide)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: OPERATION MARKET STORM: a high fantasy WW adventure. INSTALLING MAGIC 3/5
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2018, 11:03:38 pm »

Rightrightright I forgot about this question I asked:

Regarding camouflage, I'm definitely looking for more of a predator-style playstyle, where the enemy can't find me as I pick them off, rather than a one-shot ambush deal.
Out of the three you mentioned, I'm having a hard time telling the gameplay difference between "+1 to contextual combat actions that seek to have you not be shot at in combat while outdoors" and "force enemies shooting at you while your outside to roll a +3 check to see if they can find you to shoot at you." Can't I just always be trying to shoot from a concealed position (which would make it hard for the enemy to find me?)

Well. There is no formal mechanics for stealth. Skills are supposed to add that dimension to the game. So what I'm saying is if you get +1 to not being detected outdoors you will have every varied results using the skill and you'll be making me roll a dice and decide each turn how things should work based on context, a 1/3 chance to elude enemy fire while outdoors will give you more consistent, predictable results.

I want the more versatile option--a 1/3 chance per enemy feels a little too unreliable. Plus, more tedious rolling for the GM.

Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright does this work?

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile

I want the more versatile option--a 1/3 chance per enemy feels a little too unreliable. Plus, more tedious rolling for the GM.

Ugh. I wrote out a big response to you and then it got vaporized by a connection hicup. In summery: How about a -1 to hit bonus (contrast this to the usual -1 hit effect of cover) to your cover when out doors or when in foilage type cover (this would affect the first shot of an enemy attack)?

That all seems great. Going to go with the second option for the last one and rename it schrapnel avoider, because while reading it I got the mental image of a burly orc legging it away from an explosive device at top speed, trying to dodge pieces of shrapnel all the way. I feel like that's a much too common occurence in the life of a demolition orc.

All too common, indeed. Looks like you are ready to go!
Third draft in.
Good! You're ready to go.
Alright does this work?

Dope! A man's man grenadier is a perfect way to round out an assualt team! I just hope that you don't have to fight with our resident demo orc for grenades when the going gets tough. But, I mean, that won't happen because you're bot swell, assuring fellows after all!

Grendier's Arm is a throwing focused skill instead of a explosive skill I see. Their are anumber of ways this could go down. Perhaps an an simple way to characterize would for Grendier's Arm to give you a unique hit profile with all throwable explosives. I think this would be the best way to prevent your character from overlapping with Pancaek's. Say Short: +4, Medium: +4, Long: X, (I'm thinking the average will be +4 +5 X, while demo charges will be something like Short +4 Medium X, Long X). I'm pretty sure this way you will handly outscale with (most) throwables at medium range (of course his skill will still give him a maxium higher damage) while he will remain superior with all explosives at short range. You're skill you give you the unique quality of being able to use heavy explosives at medium range. Of course if you have other ideas don't hesidate to tell me.

The realm of skills and items don't overlap, however; as a highly trained Commando your equipment requests are taken seriously. You will have access to a shield at the beginning. I Will Be Your Shield would make sense as a shield use skill. The simplist way that seems to fit the theme of the skill is for IWBYS to allow you to bestoe the same cover bonus your shield gives you to an ally. Now shields will have some restriction to the kinds of weapons you can fire (you'll be able to throw grenades but probably not demo charges) while bracing a shield.

Hey now, What about that stiff upper lip? +1 when talking (kindly) to distressed people?

Ok! I think we're almost ready to start the game! DivideByZero, Slick, Questorhank, Pancaek, Sirelventide and Doomblade187 will make up the Commando team and I'm going to start on the first game post now. If I missed something I needed to address or if you still have concerns about your character don't hesitate say something.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: OPERATION MARKET STORM: a high fantasy WW adventure. 6/5
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2018, 06:02:59 pm »

Ugh. I wrote out a big response to you and then it got vaporized by a connection hicup. In summery: How about a -1 to hit bonus (contrast this to the usual -1 hit effect of cover) to your cover when out doors or when in foilage type cover (this would affect the first shot of an enemy attack)?

All too common, indeed. Looks like you are ready to go!
Third draft in.
Good! You're ready to go.
Alright does this work?

Dope! A man's man grenadier is a perfect way to round out an assualt team! I just hope that you don't have to fight with our resident demo orc for grenades when the going gets tough. But, I mean, that won't happen because you're bot swell, assuring fellows after all!

Grendier's Arm is a throwing focused skill instead of a explosive skill I see. Their are anumber of ways this could go down. Perhaps an an simple way to characterize would for Grendier's Arm to give you a unique hit profile with all throwable explosives. I think this would be the best way to prevent your character from overlapping with Pancaek's. Say Short: +4, Medium: +4, Long: X, (I'm thinking the average will be +4 +5 X, while demo charges will be something like Short +4 Medium X, Long X). I'm pretty sure this way you will handly outscale with (most) throwables at medium range (of course his skill will still give him a maxium higher damage) while he will remain superior with all explosives at short range. You're skill you give you the unique quality of being able to use heavy explosives at medium range. Of course if you have other ideas don't hesidate to tell me.

The realm of skills and items don't overlap, however; as a highly trained Commando your equipment requests are taken seriously. You will have access to a shield at the beginning. I Will Be Your Shield would make sense as a shield use skill. The simplist way that seems to fit the theme of the skill is for IWBYS to allow you to bestoe the same cover bonus your shield gives you to an ally. Now shields will have some restriction to the kinds of weapons you can fire (you'll be able to throw grenades but probably not demo charges) while bracing a shield.

Hey now, What about that stiff upper lip? +1 when talking (kindly) to distressed people?

Ok! I think we're almost ready to start the game! DivideByZero, Slick, Questorhank, Pancaek, Sirelventide and Doomblade187 will make up the Commando team and I'm going to start on the first game post now. If I missed something I needed to address or if you still have concerns about your character don't hesitate say something.
Okay...Uh, will I need to modify my sheet or will you do that when the IC starts?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11