Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: OPERATION MARKET STORM: TURN 7, Mission 1: Ich gebe auf! (6/5)  (Read 16528 times)

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile

[/quote]

What an awesome picture! Is that one of yours?

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh no, it's actually Art from a defunct game called March of War. It has a lot of interesting Alt-History Lore and Units. From Dieselpunk to things far more fantastical.

Such as the Overlords:
http://marchofwar.wikia.com/wiki/Overlord

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
Re: OPERATION MARKET STORM: a high fantasy WW adventure. 6/5
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2018, 06:40:21 pm »

Did an Oliphant had sex with a bull and a battleship?!

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile

Oh no, it's actually Art from a defunct game called March of War. It has a lot of interesting Alt-History Lore and Units. From Dieselpunk to things far more fantastical.

Such as the Overlords:

Damn, is it a WW themed game? Because I'm kind of a sucker for that sort of shit.
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Such as the Overlords:

Damn, is it a WW themed game? Because I'm kind of a sucker for that sort of shit.
WW? World War...Weird War, what does that mean?

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile

WW? World War...Weird War, what does that mean?

Take a guess. You're a solid 50% right so far in either case. That game reminds me of Gear Krieg.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 09:09:52 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2018, 09:23:58 pm »

Okay...Uh, will I need to modify my sheet or will you do that when the IC starts?

(I missed this on the last page.)

You don't nessarily need to modify it, I can change it in the IC, but what I need to know is: do you want the skill effects that I have suggested for each? Or do you have concerns/other ideas about the skills?

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2018, 09:31:34 pm »

Okay...Uh, will I need to modify my sheet or will you do that when the IC starts?

(I missed this on the last page.)

You don't nessarily need to modify it, I can change it in the IC, but what I need to know is: do you want the skill effects that I have suggested for each? Or do you have concerns/other ideas about the skills?
Yeah, I think they work. Can't really think of anything to change.

Questorhank

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll find something to put here... eventually
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2018, 11:35:05 pm »

What does Commando kit contain?
RTD Graveyard
Many people have gone missing or died.
I don't remember their names.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2018, 12:08:39 am »

What does Commando kit contain?

Besides a uniform nothing in particular. You'll have access to an assortment to gear (weapons, explosives, trinkets and maybe some body armor) IC at the start of the game and you'll take whatever you need for your first mission. For later missions it will be up to you do secure the material you want (you can travel to allied bases to resupply, call it in, or loot it from the enemy). The only real inventory items I'm really going to track for simplicity sake is ammo, weapons and tools that are important in combat.

Commandos don't have a set kit, the individual members are expected to tailor their own kit based on how they expect to fight.

Also btw everyone, I've started the first IC game post and I'm going to post it tomorrow.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2018, 09:06:02 pm »

Hey guys, sorry for the not posting yesterday. The day didn't quite go the way I planned.

I'm finishing up the post now, it should be posted by tonight.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2018, 10:09:12 pm »

Sweet!
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2018, 03:34:46 am »

CHPATER 1, TURN 0: MISSION PLANNING

“All right! Get up, get up! It’s mission day. You ship out in eleven hours and then in four more your feet will be on High Gothic soil.” Your NCO yells marching into the small airbase barracks.

You all dress and shamble out and begin a long walk along one of the intersecting, hangar-side runways of the airbase.

You walk past hangar after hangar to the buzzing tunes of Rolls Royce Merlins and the American Pratt & Whitney Double Wasps. An air service man gives Madeline a nice smile and a bit of a salute, he tends a Supermarine Spitfire Mark V. Atkinson, or Madeline ((DivideByZero)), always stands out. While orcs and elves aren’t exactly commonplace on the base, besides a few secretaries or whatnots she’s likely one of the only women in military service. It was her abroad experience and her credible experience as a magic scholar’s apprentice that qualified her for service; and her marksmanship and outdoorsyness that allowed her a place on a Commando unit. However, rules regarding her service were an express concern. No romantic relationships with team members, short hair, standard male uniform and no explicit mentions of her gender among team members, not even at the pubs. She lives and sleeps with the rest of you; command says it’s crucial for building proper team morale.

“Some awfully nice fellows have prepared a nice surprise for you. And no, before you ask, she’s not coming on the mission with you.” The NCO takes a turn and leads you down a narrow path between hangars.

Turning the corner your eyes meet the blooming feathery expanse of griffon’s wing. It has amber eyes, a pale yellow peak and feathers of a brown black brindled pattern. Its lion tail wags anxiously. A rider with long leather gloves and pilot’s get up stands at its flank.

“Whooa, whooa. It’s ok Marie. It’s ok.” He assures the creature. Marie, despite his assurance, looses a nervous squawk. The griffin’s squawk is a lot louder and deeper than the sparrow and gull cries that you are familiar with. “These chaps aren’t going to hurt you,” he says with a smile.

Spoiler: griffin! (click to show/hide)

In a brief but sobering moment Marie’s eye passes over each of you. The griffin is age old symbol of acriscratic might and you cannot help but feel that some ancient power of war on the other side of Marie’s eye has cast judgement upon you.

An hour or so later you all find yourself in a briefing room with your NCO for one last review of the mission. It’s time to discuss your plans and the equipment you want to bring.

Spoiler: Target (click to show/hide)

The target is an above ground forested office in eastern low gothic territory. The facility, which is quite small actually, is a small brick office furnished like a mansion. It is supposed by English intelligence to be an Low Gothic intelligence processing center. The target was located by tips from local anti-gothic groups and confirmed by air reconnaissance photos. The facility is occupied by a small garrison of Low Gothic soldiers (around 20) and intelligence officers. You expect the garrison to be armed with the regular Low Gothic armament which includes machineguns, machinepistols, rifles and handheld grenades.

The objectives of this mission are elimination of Low Gothic intelligence officers, capture of Low Gothic intelligence and the destruction of the faculty’s communication equipment. You'll be air dropped near the site and trek the rest of the way and you will rendezvous with a contact after the mission for transportation out.

This airbase has stock piled weaponry for this operation, you’ll need to select the weapons and equipment you’ll want for the operation. Each team member has 4 inventory slots, 2 of them can be used to carry weapons. Weapons here include captured enemy types, purchased American types and English types.

Available equipment:
Note: Items (including ammo) can be dropped and if so they can be used by characters at that location.

You'll also notice that a lot of weapons are treated as equivalent (for this chapter at least), there is one unstated difference the different weapons: clip/mag size. The clip/mag size of your gun is the logical maximum number of shots it can fire in a turn. Belt fed weapons ignore this soft maximum.

Team members:

Team health (72)

Madeline Christie Atkinson (DivideByZero) (12 health, 4 inventory slots)
Psychological Warfare -- Doubled damage and fire superiorty effect with rifles.
Jim Harrington (Questorhank) (12 Health, 4 inventory slots)
Hans Koring Staffenberg (Sir Elventide)(12 health, 4 slots)(squad leader)
Zehn Graftkin(Doomblade187)(12 health, 4 slots)
Krilge Schmidt(Pancaek)(12 health, 4 slots)
Phillip Ottersen(Slick)(12 health, 4 slots)

Note: I've made some changes to the following skills: Grenadier's arm, I Will Be Your Shield, Demolition Orc, Psychological Warfare and Machinegunner. Also health values are subject to change as I do some testing.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 03:03:47 pm by WunderKatze »

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: OPERATION MARKET STORM: a high fantasy WW adventure. TURN 0. 6/5
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2018, 07:50:31 am »

((I don't want to be difficult here, but at first glance the whole slots things seems terribly restrictive, especially at 4 slots. Take, for example, the ordnance section. Basically, nothing there is going to get picked, ever. The weapons themselves take up many slots as is, half the inventory of three people for the mortar, half the inventory of one person for the piat/bazooka/panzefaust, and then you don't have ammo yet. At 2 rounds a slot, one person with a bazooka will only be able to shoot four shots before running out of everything, or be able to fire two shots and then be left with an empty sidearm or melee weapon.

Grenades are kinda better, though you're pretty much hard capped at 6 grenades per sortie unless you want to go in without some kind of firearm.

The demolition charges don't seem worth it either. Sure, they do a lot of damage. But their use seems very situational and you can take 2 at max. 1 if you want to take the heavy kind, and then you're again left with only enough slots for an empty sidearm or melee weapon.

Same problem with the orc adaptations of heavy machineguns. They seem nice on paper, but you're hard capped at the machinegun + 20 rounds. So after 20 shots, you're out of the fight. Even with the regular machineguns you're out of the fight after 100 shots.

Maybe I'm just overthinking this or just interpreting it all wrong, that's totally possible since I'm kinda sick right now and thinking completely straight. But I feel like the 4 slot weight limit is rather restrictive. It also means acquiring weapons in the field is pretty much a no-go, since we just won't be able to carry most of them unless we throw half of our kit on the ground.))
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 08:02:13 am by Pancaek »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11