Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: OPERATION MARKET STORM: TURN 7, Mission 1: Ich gebe auf! (6/5)  (Read 16195 times)

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
OPERATION MARKET STORM: TURN 7, Mission 1: Ich gebe auf! (6/5)
« on: January 04, 2018, 11:27:10 pm »

Welcome to Operation Market Storm!

“On the eve of July 1897 the lower Gothic state, nested at the heart of our proud continent Roma Europa, entered into a state of war with their enduring higher Gothic neighbor, unabashedly sullying the amicable efforts of their recent Gothic ancestors and threatening to diminish the budding spirit of peace and trust among God’s nations.

Rest assured that this disgraceful treachery will not go without opposition from the Free states. Verily, for as I write this now the arsenal of a united Commonwealth and her true allies, those bold states, who without the natural defense of a sea, situated on the land of Roma-Europa, selflessly commit themselves to the cause of peace, whose names are called Francobasque and Bosohungary, are being swiftly rallied to contend with the hasty offense against the low Gothic state, not in the spirit of greedy expansion as our ancestors might have acted but rather of rebuking and liberation.

Our beloved Prime Minister and his wartime cabinet have since made travel to the pastoral lands of Francobasque in order to calculate the details of our country’s and fellow countries’ brave and righteous venture.”

-Sir Martin Garner, July 2nd 1897, 3 years before the advent of the Royal Commandos

Welcome to Operation Market Storm, a game of world war set in a grown-up, industrialized and colonized high fantasy world with geography equivalent to our own and with political geography and history highly reminiscent of our own but much, as you might imagine, a lot less equivalent. The technology is mostly equivalent to our technology of WW2.

You are a small team of English Royal Commandos, a special operation assault and reconnaissance unit with autonomous operation capabilities and trained for airborne deployment. Your mission is the identification and destruction of Lower Gothic supply and command elements from behind the enemy lines with minimal communication with allied command. Simple, right? Maybe not so much, ever since you completed basic you’ve seen one too many black cats and broken mirrors to believe that’ll be the case; you’ve got a bad feeling. Perhaps, you speculate, there is a more nefarious, malicious plot behind this war, something truly evil of global consequence. Or maybe your cigarette rations just aren’t large enough.

Gameplay Overview:

This game is meant to be a co-op 5 player adventure/mystery game (I mean RTD) with open world elements where players advance the plot through deciding upon and executing missions to ultimately (if you don't suck) uncover a terrible wartime plot, these missions will usually involve a lot of combat. Interactive NPCs are a huge part of the game and players are expected to interact with them in character to advance the plot or otherwise affect game-world events in dramatic ways.

The game will progress in chapters, a chapter concludes when something that constitutes as a major plot point happens, at which I will ask players for opinions about the game, players will select additional skills for their character and I'll make any mechanics changes that I feel are necessary for the game and then the game will continue. It is recommended that you read at least the combat mechanics before skipping down to the other sections.

Out of Combat Mechanics:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Combat Mechanics:

Setting:
The setting is elaborate but it is not without loose ends (mainly because of the scope). I’ve spent lots of my personal time figuring it out and thinking up history and whatsits; however, I don't plan to cover it all. If you have questions ask but you really don't know much of the stuff to play the game.
Book1: A BRIEF INTRODUCTION TO THE NATIONSTATES OF THE EURO-ROMA CONTIENT:
Also see my post about Scandinavia that I'm to lazy to link (pg1)
Also see my post about AMERIQUE (america) on pg3 that I'm also to lazy to link.
Book2: THE INTELLIGENT RACES OF THE EURO-ROMA CONTIENT:
Book3: THE BASIC FORMS OF MAGIC ON THE EURO-ROMAN CONTIENT:
Book4: THE COMPARATIVE HISTORIES OF MAGIC, FOLK MAGIC AND WITCHCRAFT ON THE EURO-ROMA CONTINENT:

Character sheet:

6/5 Players.

Spoiler: DISCLAIMER (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 04:04:12 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: OPERATION MARKET STORM: a high fantasy WW adventure. INTEREST CHECK.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 02:40:08 am »

What can I expect there to be in the Scandinavian/northern Europe region?
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 03:15:35 am »

What can I expect there to be in the Scandinavian/northern Europe region?

You sound like you have a character idea already. Saddly you might have to rethink it if you pictured a viking history full of brutal norse warrior types. The typical norse warrior played a secondary role during the viking era (or the equivalent of it in the game-world).

Spoiler: Scandinavia (click to show/hide)

I don't know if that is what you were looking for but I hope that gives you some context.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 01:51:20 pm by WunderKatze »
Sigh, they always said that junk food was bad for you. I guess that leaves us with canabalism.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Questorhank

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll find something to put here... eventually
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 03:57:05 pm »

Interested.
How similar are the vehicles to our own?
RTD Graveyard
Many people have gone missing or died.
I don't remember their names.

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 04:39:00 pm »

Interested.
How similar are the vehicles to our own?

Identical. I mean actually. This is so me and other WW2 nerds can fully leverage their knowledge, it also helps me shorten discriptions and also I can use ww2 pics too.

That being said their are just more. What I mean is all races and creatures are likely to participate in modern war so there are new branches of the military to accommodate them and thus technology too.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 05:47:30 pm »

Low gothia still has different models from high gothia I presume?

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 06:03:26 pm »

Low gothia still has different models from high gothia I presume?

Well. I don't want to go on and on about the details of each countries modern military before the game but High Gothia will have eastern European models while Low has German models. But I may not stick to that strictly.

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 08:17:46 pm »

I am interested in this.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Slick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 03:02:01 am »

I'm kinda curious if there's a United States equivalent in this world? Cause Americans in both World Wars had a habit of Volunteering to help our English cousins.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 03:28:17 am »

Spoiler: Here we go (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 03:43:01 am by _DivideByZero_ »

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 03:36:41 am »

I'm kinda curious if there's a United States equivalent in this world? Cause Americans in both World Wars had a habit of Volunteering to help our English cousins.

Yes. On both sides too.

I haven't really decided on a full american history, although I've decided that an american Lend-lease is a very important part of this game-world. Right now their history is pretty much synonymous with our American WW2 history, so you will find the same kind of volunteers in the English army (and maybe even in a Francobasque foreign legion). They are a neutral, high production, commercial society that supports the allies and has had their opinions of Low Gothia poisoned by early submarine warfare (nothing too dramatic yet). The biggest difference is that the in Operation Market Garden the sides are a lot lot more level considering their was no WW1 to completely empty out the continental coffers, so their isn't a huge national pressure to join the war. In this game world the war is like both wars combined.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 10:37:07 pm by WunderKatze »

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 04:25:33 pm »

Color me interested!

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 06:27:03 pm »

Color me interested!
I am interested in this.
Interested.

I forgot to do this sooner, but consider your interests FORMALLY ACKNOWLEDGED.

I encourage you guys to start coming up with loose character ideas if you want to play. The exposition on the playable races is up except one (magical humans) which will be covered in the magic exposition. Races will also have addition race advantages that I haven't yet decided on, though, I should say picking a non human race will usually have a large effect about how NPCs interact with you. If you are an elf for example, other typical elves will regard you disdainfully for being a soldier in an human army.

I'm working onve posted exposition for countries but its way short of a comprehensive breakdown of every social region in the continent so you are going to need to take a leap of faith and make a guess about what you can be in this game. I like characters with strong personal narratives and I am likely to make that shit plot relevant.

@Divide. I see you made a char. I like it. Exactly the kind of cool narrative stuff I like. I'll say more about it when I'm not late for a class.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 10:25:49 pm by WunderKatze »

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM

Sir Elventide

• Bay Watcher
  • The sword cuts with finality when guided by wisdom
    • View Profile

It'll be some time before i get enough time to write a bio. Question: Do we make up any skills/abilities as long as they are not too OP or will you post what is allowable?

WunderKatze

• Bay Watcher
  • Brass serpent in tow.
    • View Profile

It'll be some time before i get enough time to write a bio. Question: Do we make up any skills/abilities as long as they are not too OP or will you post what is allowable?

You can pretty much make up anything, I wouldn't really worry about balance, worrying about balance before you post it is a good way to accidentally stomp out good ideas before they happen. That being said characters are expected at the start to rely heavily on the conventional weapons and tactics of modern war.

The only real rules are contextual. I won't allow abilities that neglect the realities of the game world. Ex: you could not have a skill that lets you call artillery strikes because their won't always be a radio for you to use or a gun in range. Also if you want a heavily magical char it is advised that you wait for the magic exposition.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 03:29:03 pm by WunderKatze »

HEAVY DAMAGE
OPERATION MARKET STORM
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11