Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Install  (Read 1571 times)

CivBesch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New Install
« on: January 16, 2018, 01:31:16 pm »

Does anyone have experience with installing the latest versions of
- DF
- Layz Newb Pack
- Dwarf therapist

?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: New Install
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 01:33:37 pm »

DF: download latest version, un(7)zip in folder of your choice
DT: download latest version, un(7)zip in folder of your choice, works from anywhere as long as there is a df instance running

LNP: no idea
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

CivBesch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 01:48:13 pm »

O, I forgot, I have to add installing on Mac

Madrigal

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm polyphonic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 07:51:41 pm »

Do you already have xQuartz? I had to download it before DF would work on my Mac.  [Edit: I see from other forum posts that you've gotten the game working before, so you must already have xQuartz; simply following Martinuzz's instruction should work.]

Never used DT or LNP, so can't help you there.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 08:00:32 pm by Madrigal »

snow dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Is always cold
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 11:01:25 pm »

Never used DT
Is this guy still sane?
Here at Bay12 we excel at Theoretical Biology. Need to know the value of Merbone? Check. Need to know the density of a thrown Fluffy Wambler? Check. Need to know how a walking Mushroom can theoretically talk? Check.

CivBesch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 12:23:37 am »

Do you already have xQuartz? I had to download it before DF would work on my Mac.  [Edit: I see from other forum posts that you've gotten the game working before, so you must already have xQuartz; simply following Martinuzz's instruction should work.]

Never used DT or LNP, so can't help you there.

You are correct. I succeeded in installing it a few years ago, but did not use xQuartz (I actually have no idea what xQuartz is). A few weeks ago I did put up a post with the same question, but did not succeed in installing the new versions of DF, LNP, DFHack, DwarfTherapist or Stonesense and making them work together.

DF did work, but not with DwarfTherapist, so I went back to the old version from some years ago, which worked fine until it crashed

Never used DT
Is this guy still sane?

How did you guess? ;D
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 12:25:58 am by CivBesch »

CivBesch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 12:33:13 am »

I just installed xQuartz successfully, but the application does not show up in the 'application' folder.

What now?

CivBesch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 05:10:52 am »

I am now trying to reinstall the latest Lazy MacPack:

- DF seems to run ok at first sight, but trying to laugh through 'Lazy Mac Pack' application seems to open the application, but nothing else happens.

- Although on the page http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=158322.0, it mentions DwarfTherapist needing at least OSX 10.9, I cannot find dwarf therapist in the package.

Is it possible to transfer a world made in let's say version 0.40 to 0.44?

I am running DF on a Macbook with MacOS HighSierra 10.13.2

Has anyone experience with the problems above?

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 01:53:36 pm »

It sounds like nothing is happening when you try to open the launcher. There's an issue with running it in Sierra and High Sierra. There is a script included that should fix it called "Sierra+ users, open me once.sh". It should also fix it if you drag the "Lazy Mac Pack.app" to another folder and then drag it back. I'm not sure what the deal is exactly, but it involves the MacOS Gatekeeper.

If you downloaded the Barebones package, it doesn't include Dwarf Therapist. The DFHack pack just updated and includes the latest Dwarf Fortress, Dwarf Therapist, DFHack, and the "new creature transparency" feature.

You can use a 0.40 world in 0.44, but if you try to install 0.44 graphics packs into the old save, it will mess it up.

I don't think XQuartz is needed for 64-bit versions of Dwarf Fortress.

Madrigal

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm polyphonic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 04:31:34 pm »

I don't think XQuartz is needed for 64-bit versions of Dwarf Fortress.

Good to know, thanks!

CivBesch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 12:15:32 pm »

I finally found a version (DF 0.44.03-beta1) that works with DwarfTherapist (39.1.2).

I only was not able to launch Stonesense.

So I thought let me try 'Armok', of which I had heard it existed, but could not make any sense out of it: the only thing I got was a window with a large keyboard, but there was no indication what you should do with it from there - didn't make much sense. :(

Madrigal

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm polyphonic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 04:29:05 pm »

You mean Armok Vision?

I had the same trouble as you... could not get Stonesense to work at all (crashed on resize, would not accept any keypresses).

So I tried Armok Vision instead. The first time I tried it, just like you I only saw a keyboard, so I shut it down. But I decided to try it again, and it worked the second time (letting me take a nice screenshot of my fort). I don't know what I did to make it work, but I probably fiddled around with pressing different keys, clicking on different things, etc. Sorry I can't be more help, but maybe someone else here has better advice.

smithist

• Bay Watcher
  • ~freakish wriggling~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 07:22:22 pm »

Never used DT
Is this guy still sane?

I've completely converted to DFHack's labor tool. It's about 90% as good, I like that it exists inside the game, and it's one less thing to update/be dependent on.

The last one is especially big for me.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 10:29:21 pm »

So I tried Armok Vision instead. The first time I tried it, just like you I only saw a keyboard, so I shut it down. But I decided to try it again, and it worked the second time (letting me take a nice screenshot of my fort). I don't know what I did to make it work, but I probably fiddled around with pressing different keys, clicking on different things, etc. Sorry I can't be more help, but maybe someone else here has better advice.

That's a good idea. After first downloading an app, sometimes I have to launch it twice before it works. I think all the security stuff sometimes messes up the first launch.