Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: ☼Inksword☼  (Read 2488 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
☼Inksword☼
« on: January 05, 2018, 06:37:43 pm »

On a sliver of land, right at the foothills of the mighty Erekud mountains, an outpost is founded. It's purpose is the defense of the realm from the vile goblin horde to the south-west and the armies of the undead, being lead across a land-bridge from the north-west.

To the east lies the Mountainhome, to be protected at all costs. The stout dwarves of Onra Atho, the World of Soul, will not bow to the greenskins; nor bend their knee to the necromancers.

The fledgling fortress second purpose is to study and conserve all the knowledge to be gained about our enemies. A vast library will house that knowledge, ready to be distributed to any brave traveller heading this way, our way, to our frontier.

And thus, ☼Inksword☼ is born.

Seven are they, the first scout party and pioneers. "Meph" Berulthob, leading the miners Tholtig, Meng and Sibrek; Reg the Stoneworker; Kumil the Woodworker; and Zefon, our military man.

Together with our guard dogs and rat-hunting cats, a few chickens, the trusty pack animals and our good senses, we arrive and set up camp right below the mountains; halfway to the nearby brook that we can see emerging from a small forest up ahead.

Zefon scouts the area quickly and sketches a quick map of our immediate surroundings. Mountains to the west, a brook cutting the area in half, a few freshwater ponds near the forest edge, which can provide us with enough cheap fire-starters to get some coal production going. The rest is a flat, rocky outcrop, perfect line-of-sight with no saplings, bushes or plants hiding the enemy.

He was so kind to mark our camp with a big X on the map.

It is quite accurate, but I'd wish we had a bird-eye view, just like the keas that are surely circling us already.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

First things first: Assort leaders, assign military gear, dig a trench and train the dogs. Mining should be straight-forwards; we are on good solid rock. Our geographers in the mountainhomes assured us that we will not face any aquifers here.

We do have another problem: Large swarms of mosquitoes call the brook their home... best to get underground.

I order our carpenter to produce beds and shields and hatch covers...

... while our industrious miners make space for us to live. Away from that accursed wind, fresh air and sunshine.

The first days are over, nothing horrible has happened yet. Everything seems quiet.

OOC: Who wants to be dwarved? 6 free; 3x Miner, 1x Military, 1x Woodcutter/Carpenter, 1x Guy-for-Everything.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Inksword☼
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 06:50:42 pm »

That is a ludicrous amount of mosquitoes, looks like you're got yourself some natural enemy deterrents. I'd like to be dorfed, I'll take the guy for everything.

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 06:55:53 pm »

Greetings comrade! I too would like to be dorfed. Military dorf. Since you'll be fighting undead, I recommend the majority of your military be made up of hammer dwarves, and potentially lashers with whips. Blunt damage is best against them. Having a squad or two of axes (or swords) and crossbows will suffice against the gobbos, and spears for FBs and Titans and other large creatures. For lulzies, maybe a group of fanatics that use bone armor and obsidian swords in combat?
DF Veterans- n. - One who has lost one or more forts due to a stupid oversight.

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow
Just never forget,/That Bloodyhells is always a threat.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 06:59:30 pm »

I'm in, but I'll take a migrant: Mechanic/Weaponsmith, (whichever the migrant has add the other).
    First order of business, build a mechanic workshop and churn out mechanisms for trade, (select rubbish rock for disposal).  Also, make a few weapons when facilities are available.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 03:17:17 am »

::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2018, 04:07:00 am »

I'd like to be dorfed please. Make me a miner, then when you're done with all the excavating for this place down the line, stick me in the military. Is making pickaxes compatible with military uniforms still a problem in this version?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

wertyzerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2018, 04:08:27 pm »

Quick question, what texture pack are you using? It looks interesting
I just realised how insanely stupid that question was, I knew I'd heard the name Meph somewhere.

Please dorf me, idc who i am.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 04:04:25 pm by wertyzerty »

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2018, 08:38:48 pm »

I'd like to be dorfed please. Make me a miner, then when you're done with all the excavating for this place down the line, stick me in the military. Is making pickaxes compatible with military uniforms still a problem in this version?

Yes. I don't think it will be fixed for a LOOOOOONG time. It's also a problem with wood cutters and hunters.

Morality is relative,/Puppies are cheap,/Dwarves are zealots of,/A place that creeps and leaks,/where oversears send them to die,/so we may feast on their on their sorrow,/as we chew on their marrow

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 08:56:26 pm »

Since this seems like it'll be interesting, I'd like to be dwarfed as one of the miners.
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"

Stoat tales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 08:45:10 am »

PTW
And a dwarfing would be much appreciated :)

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 01:40:45 pm »

Yo Meph! How's the next update coming? :D

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 04:25:21 pm »

As it happens with using saves while doing updates on a mod or tileset, I managed to delete the region while making an update.  :-X

I did start a new test fort on a volcano, but it not quite the same. I really liked that embark area with the flat mountain top.

Raia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 05:51:42 pm »

I'm mightily anticipating how this will turn out!

Dwarf me if you like, I don't mind whatever kind of dwarf. :3

MottledPetrel

• Bay Watcher
  • If only I knew what was going on
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 06:01:20 pm »

Maybe next time you're doing something experimental you can make a copy of the save and test the stuff on that one. After you find that it works you can either add it to the one you're actually playing on or just start playing the test one. Either way, I'd like a redorfing once you've got a new world up.

speciesunkn0wn

• Bay Watcher
  • The Stars Are Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 06:03:01 pm »

As it happens with using saves while doing updates on a mod or tileset, I managed to delete the region while making an update.  :-X

I did start a new test fort on a volcano, but it not quite the same. I really liked that embark area with the flat mountain top.

... Darn. Well here's hoping the next one goes well. And you make a backup. :P

Pages: [1] 2