Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Errant Space - Adventures in a turbulent galaxy (INTO THE BIG BLACK)  (Read 6485 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: Errant Space - Adventures in a turbulent galaxy (START)
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2018, 03:59:28 am »

"<Tidings. I am V'ralis, known to some as the Blue Shadow, the Impossible Thief. However, if you want, you may call me 'hot stuff'. What may I call you?>," V'ralis communicates flirtily to the R'talis in the pod in the proper language.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2018, 02:52:29 am »

"<Tidings. I am V'ralis, known to some as the Blue Shadow, the Impossible Thief. However, if you want, you may call me 'hot stuff'. What may I call you?>," V'ralis communicates flirtily to the R'talis in the pod in the proper language.

The R'talis' skin flashes with surprised patterns, roughly equivalent to "hmm?". They turn around in the pod to look at the group.

"This is our pilot, R'malos"

R'malos swipes at something with one of their rear legs. A nearly-natural voice rings out from the room's PA: "Hello there. I'm a bit busy preparing the ship for launch right now, but pleased to meet you all."

[Crit] From their skin, and a bit of body language, V'ralis can see R'malos is quite flustered by the greeting. R'malos seems rather surprised and overwhelmed, but is trying to re-focus on the task at hand.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Sudurandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 08, 2018, 02:18:50 pm »

Spar gives the R'talis a small bow. "It's good to meet you too pilot R'malos. I am Engineer second class Spar Ki of the Thread Rider. Please let me know if I can ever be of any assistance."

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2018, 02:27:07 am »

V'ralis goes back to speaking English through the speech synthesizer.

"Oh yes, if you need anything, I'm sure I can find the time for it."

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2018, 04:04:09 pm »

"Sebastian Burrell, pleased to meet you.". He gives a sidelong glance at the rest of the group. "And everyone else for that matter, given that we haven't been properly introduced."
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2018, 10:53:27 am »

* cold emotionless staring at vralis *

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2018, 02:11:45 pm »

V'ralis turns to Theta-Rho-348. They seem slightly annoyed by the staring, but do their best to maintain a friendly-ish pokerface. Maybe they feel insecure about being examined too closely?

"Is there a problem, my robotic friend?"
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 02:14:59 pm by IcyTea31 »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2018, 08:50:28 pm »

The cargo was checked and re-checked. The refueling lines disconnected. R'malos tested all systems, and Major Ada kept watch on the crew in the galley as they braced for takeoff (aside from V'ralis, who was put into the pipes). The docking port arms pushed the Ithica up and out from the prison's inner hull, everyone feeling their sense of weight fade as the ship was released. Her engines hummed gently to life: slowly at first, she glided out of the monumental tube of Big Red, taking the prisoners away at last from its confinement. The vessel began rotating as it drifted out towards the mandated safe distance of 75 kilometers, turning itself to point to the nearest star outside this system. They could hear a whine build "below" them, in the engine compartment, as the Threader began to engage, until, at last, it caught. They were finally on their way...

From the PA, R'malos' synthesized voice dings "We've finished our maneuvers, everyone. Feel free to move around."

Major Ada kicks herself away from the galley door, making way for anyone who might care to exit. She catches onto a multi-directional table and comes to a stop. "We've got about 4 months travel time, barring interruptions, and no stops for a while yet, so I suggest you all settle in. And remember: no internet outside this ship without clearing it with me first."

Sudurandom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Errant Space - Adventures in a turbulent galaxy (INTO THE BIG BLACK)
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2018, 10:10:24 pm »

Spar sighs and launches himself smoothly toward the door. "Ah. It's good to be weightless again. I'm going to go get my tools if anyone want's to come with me.
Major, I realized I forgot to ask about the chain of command. Is there a chief engineer I should report to?"

Go retrieve my belongings, and run diagnostics on my suit to be certain it's still in good condition.

Downtime plans: Assuming I'm the senior(or only) engineer, begin a thorough maintenance check of the ship. Starting with critical systems like the engines and life support, and working toward more trivial things like the toaster or coffee maker. See updated plans in later post.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 10:47:43 pm by Sudurandom »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2018, 11:09:17 pm »

"You should defer to the Kirics, but you're the most skilled engineer here."

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2018, 03:11:56 am »

V'ralis goes to look for their belongings and get settled in their 'cabin'. In the downtime, they mostly socialize with the others or read to brush up on the sciences and the various cultures of the galaxy.

Some time into the journey (perhaps hours, perhaps days), when everyone is gathered for one reason or another, V'ralis speaks up.

"There is something I'd like to ask of you all. Knowing of my abilities, how much mental contact do you consent to? Though I suspect you won't allow me to probe your minds too deeply or steal any of your memories permanently, my less hostile powers include a form of silent communication and a trick to...borrow your skills and talents if necessary."

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2018, 10:41:07 pm »

4 months...
Lilith cackled maniacally as she sought a corner in which to scrawl down notes and designs. Four months is an instant amidst cosmological timescales, and yet whole worlds could be laid to waste. Or so she duly believed, having an utmost obsession with the concept of autonomous robotics. She sat among the ship's machinery as it hummed and chirruped around her, drawing pictures and schematics. She wanted to see if she could remember any of the tricks she once had up her sleeve.

Lilith goes to (try to) make robots in the workshop! Specifically, she wants to build something that can fly, follow a laser dot, and pick up/drop cargo. Surely there are lots of microcontrollers in modern hardware, yes? Some of those, plus motors, a camera, and crudely-built rotors should be enough to start.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2018, 12:00:41 pm »

Burrell initially spends most of his time refamiliarising himself with his equipment, discussing with major Ada the possibility of setting up a small practice range in one of the empty rooms to facilitate this. He also learns as much as permitted about the capabilities and layout of the ship, and the basics of piloting it in case it should prove necessary.
To V'ralis:
"I can see how that would be useful, though I'm sure you'll understand my reluctance to allow a relative stranger into my memories. The communication I have little problem with, but how exactly would this "borrowing" work?"
Not that I doubt you have little need of permission, should push come to shove.
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2018, 12:50:52 pm »

"Well, darling, you seem like someone used to coercing people to do what you want. Let's say there was some schmuck who we needed to scare, but you couldn't be around for it. I could look into your mind for your techniques and use them myself. This would sadly keep you from accessing those memories yourself for... maybe two hours, or until I return them. That would be useful, however, if we needed an attacker to suddenly forget how to aim a gun."
That last part indeed implies that consent isn't strictly necessary.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2018, 02:50:29 pm »

Mu- Rho rapidly rotates head towards vralis, ocular shines with ominous crimson glow  and red dot appears on Vralis.

Then aggressive binary shriek follows
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7