Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A Fortress History: The Founding of an Egypto-Dwarven Outpost  (Read 6329 times)

contheman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Fortress History
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2015, 08:18:21 pm »

Would you guys object to the killing of any stuck-up elven merchants who refuse to do business because of their boners for trees and nature?
That's like asking Dwarves if they like alcohol.

Since fortress mode is based upon trade post colonies and you guys don't frown upon certain xenophobia. I could try to make the fort something like:
  • a Near East Bronze Age colony (Egyptian, Assyrian, Hittite, Minoan, or Mycenaean) to keep the number of technologically usable metals lower,
  • a Viking trade outpost allowing for steel smithing ability but a lack of knowledge to make high quality steel,
  • a Mongol trade-post to limit material technology as well and have a focus of self-sufficiency,
or anything else you guys can think of.

I think we can make this quite interesting without simply making it a nightmare for me to keep afloat.
-An Anthropological Study as an Adventurer-
The Adventures of Lord Cikul Knifejoke
The Under Appreciated Anthropologist of Steel
-A Fortress History-
The Founding of an Egypto-Dwarven Outpost
Life in Canyonfuture

contheman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2015, 02:31:39 pm »

This is the world gen I'm planning on using. Feel free to post feedback.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
-A Fortress History-
Life in Canyonfuture

contheman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2015, 11:12:32 pm »

Does anyone think it strange that upon world genesis everything and everyone spontaneously populate the world? There's no prehistory or any period in which the planet id void of life.
Do you guys think Toady might be a creationist?
-A Fortress History-
Life in Canyonfuture

Torrenal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2015, 11:19:33 pm »

Toady?  No.
Armok?  Perhaps.

As to treatment of elves: Do as you see fit.  No objection if it involves selling elf-tallow soap to the elves.

contheman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2015, 11:35:10 pm »

Toady?  No.
Armok?  Perhaps.

As to treatment of elves: Do as you see fit.  No objection if it involves selling elf-tallow soap to the elves.
I wounder why Armok allows us to worship so many gods and goddesses. Yahweh smote, imprisoned, and massacred people for that lack of obedience.

Ha. I would if the stuck up hypocrites didn't refuse trade with me on account of my chopping down of trees. They literally only sell logs and wooden goods, but when I make things out of the surrounding forest, I'm the bad guy creating baubles and trinkets out of their "brethren."
-A Fortress History-
Life in Canyonfuture

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2015, 11:43:58 pm »

Does anyone think it strange that upon world genesis everything and everyone spontaneously populate the world? There's no prehistory or any period in which the planet id void of life.
Nah. Evolution of the species, while a darned cool feature, is probably a ways off. It's only in DF2014 that the outside world progresses while you play. At this point, all the creatures are determined by the raws. That said, Toady has stated repeatedly that he eventually hopes for players to be able to generate worlds that are random in every respect, so I do think that evolution is in his plans. But he's got oodles of other things to tackle beforehand. Heck, DF doesn't even have creation myths yet.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

contheman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2015, 11:54:15 pm »

Heck, DF doesn't even have creation myths yet.
That would be a pretty cool feature. I'll have to make one once we get this fort started.
-A Fortress History-
Life in Canyonfuture

contheman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2015, 09:54:29 pm »

I will be starting the fort tomorrow evening. I will record all the pertinent bits in case someone wants me to upload them. This first part will just include a world generation and an embark. Afterwards, I will give you guys an "interesting" introduction to the dwarves and their newly established colony.
-A Fortress History-
Life in Canyonfuture

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2015, 01:07:05 am »

Upload and link the startup bits. If a majority of us enjoy watching you play the game, that can become the norm, though your writeups are good enough to be worth continuing.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

contheman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2015, 07:59:00 pm »

This inscription celebrates the foundation of a new trade outpost for the glory of The Furnace of Fells in the fifth regnal year of King Nish Cityflame: Son of Fikod Lullpillars and beloved of Erok, Queen of metals, crafts, and labor. On the 1st of Granite in the year 125, we seven dwarves found Canyonfuture in the northern continent of The Plane of Dawning, our bountiful mother. Our fort lies where The Hill of Nights meets The Famous Waters. Our group was named The Divine Constructs by the pharaoh himself as an entreating of the blessing of The Hardy Strife, the patron deity of fortresses. On the 15th of Granite in the year 125, we reached the site and settled it. We brought with us a pair of horses, half a dozen chickens, a pair of cats, a pair of dogs, and a number of supplies. The names of the first settlers are:
Noblility:

Stâkud “Neferure” Dentanvils, the expedition leader, miner, organizer, and record keeper, myself.
Atîs “Minnakht” Gateold, the craftsman and merchant.     
Cog “Penthu” Fishclasps, the fisherman and doctor.

Peasantry:
Degël “Hesekkhet” Archmerchants, the woodsman and carpenter.
Litast “Djesret” Worthychanneled, the farmer and brewer.
Tekkud “Ikey” Whippedplunge, the miner and mason.
Zas “Retehtey” Towntwilights, the farmer and cook.

We have been told by the pharaoh to establish a mighty northern fortress for our mighty civilization in order to bring wealth and prestige and to make diplomatic contacts with our neighbors. May the gods of grant us good fortune.
-A Fortress History-
Life in Canyonfuture

contheman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Fortress History: The Founding of an Egypto-Dwarven Outpost
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2015, 05:31:14 pm »

So I noticed that I couldn't gather any interest from this specific project and its release closely predated the long-awaited release of 42.0x.
I'm planning on scrapping the current fort and doing one of the Challenges, probably a 16x16 city-state or Oregon Trail fort.

Let me know what you guys think.
-A Fortress History-
Life in Canyonfuture
Pages: 1 [2]