Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28]

Author Topic: Bedroom Designs...  (Read 130975 times)

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bedroom Designs...
« Reply #405 on: October 28, 2015, 12:36:09 pm »

This is for those "convert image into a floor plan" programs.

What program did you use to make that first map?  I'm looking for a good method to make designs outside of the game.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: October 28, 2015, 01:05:22 pm »

*Snip*

What program did you use to make that first map?  I'm looking for a good method to make designs outside of the game.

I used the same program for both, actually.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here are the directions:
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: October 28, 2015, 02:02:23 pm »

I usually design in excel, and set my cell size to 20x20 pixels.

I guess paint has the advantage of easily allowing rotation of pasted parts, but I prefer to do most of my navigation on the keyboard...

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: October 28, 2015, 03:34:40 pm »

I prefer quickly swapping between my different layouts to refer to them. Plus, if you're going to use Quickfort, then it really doesn't matter how you choose to set up the plan at first, since it's going to save a bunch of time when you finish it.

Besides, Picturefort lets you designate colours with multiple steps, for digging, building a bed, and sizing a room from it. I think the Excel sheets (who's cells are always way to wide for me) might only allow for one step. I'm not too sure.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 28, 2015, 03:54:56 pm »

Oh, I didnt know quickfort had a multistep option now?  I've always done it by hand, different steps in different worksheets.

So, for example, I use it to dig out massive 3d structures.  The first step is carving the up down staircases, the next step removing them from the top down.

All personal preference, I guess.  Will have to take a look at the latest quickfort build.  I'll probably wait for the next release before starting another fort, though.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 16, 2015, 06:57:18 pm »

Got it from the wiki. Is not pretty but it works well.
Yeah, I like it too.
(Here is wiki-link)
So I reworked it a little, and have made it better (I hope so)

So here we have:
  • fractal-like design
  • 3-tile wide main corridors
  • even more rooms and less steps to each one
    (Original: 61x61 tiles      224 dwarves      55 steps max
    My design: 61x61 tiles      244 dwarves      49 steps max
    Enough for full-sized fort, even with some spare jails/tombs
    etc.)
  • quite simple and effective
  • very scalable (but what for? :) Well, you can build it smaller easily -- that's the fact)
  • anyway it has wide exits/entrances on every four sides, and 1-tile-wide on the diagonals
Few more words about it:
  • my design has bedroom entrances always directed to the center -- so, path becomes shorter
  • you can join two 3x1 rooms to get one 3x3, or three 3x1 to get one 5x3, and so on. Or you can make two 3x2 from three 3x1. All that leaving main fractal design intact
  • you can remove most central rooms to create big central square or perfect dining room, or whatever
  • take a look at upper-right quadrant -- you can remove some (or all) additional bedrooms to make ALL corridors 3-tiles-wide, if you like.
    Or you can place statues there, in the middle of the corridors instead.
  • my design starts with 3 central rooms -- you can start with two, four, five, six, or whatever you like. Three for a start seems more square for me, and some percents more effective.

Example with 5 rooms for a start is in the bottom-right quadrant.
I prefer to build public dining-room on another z-level, same for nobles' bedrooms too, so they are not on my plan.
Played with this one a bit:
Features:
  • 224 bedrooms
  • Maximum steps: uncounted, but should be low 50s.
  • Scalable: 120 bedrooms at 45x45, 48 bedrooms at 29x29, 8 bedrooms at 13x13
  • Luxurious 3-tile wide hallways everywhere; this feature is preserved at all scales!
  • Central staircase
  • 4 convenient exits to other areas; this feature is preserved at all scales!
  • Conveniently located bureaucracy space*.
  • Looks pretty.
I'm afraid, however, that this design has the major downside of looking like a swastika. Damn those Nazis and the way they put negative connotations on so many nice-looking things!

So, does anyone know how to get my maximum step count?

*The four central blocks. Convert one block into 2 offices for your manager and book keeper. Convert the other 3 into your mayor's bedroom, dining hall and office. You now have 217 bedrooms, one of which is taken by your mayor. If you have 2 or more marriages, this will still fit the entire 220 population minus the baron/count/duke who was never going to be happy with 1x3 rooms anyways
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28]