Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28

Author Topic: Bedroom Designs...  (Read 131579 times)

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
Re: Bedroom Designs...
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2008, 10:15:10 am »

I always like to engrave every wall of my dwarves' bedrooms, so I leave a two-tile thick gap between all the walls. I just created this fractal bedroom plan while playing around in MS Paint. Each iteration is four copies of the last one, with each copy missing a corner, from which the stump connects to the center. The number of rooms you get with this fractal on the nth iteration is 4*3^n - the fifth iteration gives over 300 identical 2x3 rooms. The self-similar aspect ends up wasting a bit of space, but you can fill that in if you actually use this design...which I know I won't.

Looks nice... but seems to be very space inefficient.  Instead of removing one area completely, try removing only the smallest aesthetically/structurally/functionally necessary.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2008, 10:40:13 am »

I try to make as much use of the z-axis in my fortresses as I can.

Code: [Select]
Key:
# Wall
B Bed
D Door
X Stair
W Workshop

Below:

#################
#  B#B  #  B#B  #
#   #   #   #   #
#  D#D  #  D#D  #
#### ####### ####
    X       X
#### ####### ####
#  D#D  #  D#D  #
#   #   #   #   #
#  B#B  #  B#B  #
#################

Above:

#################
#WWW#WWW#WWW#WWW#
#WWW#WWW#WWW#WWW#
#WWW#WWW#WWW#WWW#
#WWW#WWW#WWW#WWW#
####X#######X####
#WWW#WWW#WWW#WWW#
#WWW#WWW#WWW#WWW#
#WWW#WWW#WWW#WWW#
#WWW#WWW#WWW#WWW#
#################

The dwarves won't sleep well due to workshops being so close, but they get to work efficiently.

I also place a storage level over the workshops, and a dining room beneath the rooms.

AngryToad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2008, 10:44:33 am »

I have a 3 by 3 room with the bed in the middle and the furnishings usually in the corners.

I know it seems a bit much, but considering how little I get done by the first immigrant wave, having a lot of bedrooms isn't an issue.

wallish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2008, 11:32:55 am »

I try to incorporate my exploratory mining strategy with my housing.  Basically, using Shift+Arrow while designating mining you jump ten spaces.  So I make a grid like such:
#############
#           #
# ######### #
# ######### #
# ######### #
# ######### #
# ######### #
# ######### #
# ######### #
# ######### #
# ######### #
#           #
#############
  = mined out space, a hallway 11 x 11 (10x10 inside)
# = unmined
as it'll expose most veins that are present.  Each square in the grid can then hold 4 3x3 housing units.  Since I usually mine out entire Z-levels like this that leave more than enough squares for housing or any other needs.  You end up with this:
#############
#           #
# ######### #
# #   #   # #
# +  8#8  + #
# #   #   # #
# ######### #
# #   #   # #
# +  8#8  + #
# #   #   # #
# ######### #
#           #
#############

# = unmined, + = door,   = mined, 8 = bed

Now imagine a HUGE amount of these taking up an entire z level and you could house at least 500 dwarves.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 11:46:27 am by wallish »

Seizures

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2008, 11:35:04 am »

I like giving my dwarves nice rooms, helps keep tantrums in check. I usually divide my fortress into quarters. Housing, food/dining, workshops, and noble quarters.

Never, EVER have a less than 3 wide hallways, anywhere in the fortress. That is just begging your dwarves to crawl over each other constantly to get somewhere.

Easy enough to expand, and when it goes past a 3 x 3 block of this I start digging down to add rooms. Don't want those dwarves having to move way too much just to get to work/sleep/eat.

>>>+++++++++>>>
>>>+++++++++>>>
>>>+++++++++>>>
+++##D###D##+++
+++#+++#+++#+++
+++D+++#+++D+++
+++#++B#B++#+++
+++#########+++
+++#++B#B++#+++
+++D+++#+++D+++
+++#+++#+++#+++
+++##D###D##+++
>>>+++++++++>>>
>>>+++++++++>>>
>>>+++++++++>>>

Phoenyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2008, 01:20:23 pm »

I try to make as much use of the z-axis in my fortresses as I can.

The dwarves won't sleep well due to workshops being so close, but they get to work efficiently.

I also place a storage level over the workshops, and a dining room beneath the rooms.

One idea I've been tinkering with is placing the storage level and dining rooms/office level(s) between the workshops and the bedrooms. Because they run on similar up/down stairs, the distance isn't that much farther. But then you also get some noise reduction for the sleepers. For even more reduction, create a level that is just the stairwells. (I think it was said that you want a 5 level difference?)

I have been putting storage above (normally in the soil levels).. but found that I wanted the prepared food stored between the kitchen and dining areas. Plus, as the furniture is normally used in the bedroom/dining/office levels, you will want that stored there as well.
When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2008, 02:44:43 pm »

5 level difference as in three levels between the workshop level and the bedrooms level? I always used 4 between the two. Dunno.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Phoenyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2008, 03:40:04 pm »

I was thinking you needed to have 5 levels between them, thus why I had a few "stairs only" levels. But it seems I was off by one.

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Noise

So.. If you want to stack the fortress on a few common stair cases, Your looking at a layout similar to this.. for noise reasons.

Access, farms, outside storage (tradables, cookables, craftables.)
Workshops.
Inside storage (cooked food, drinks, furnature, armor/weapons?)
Dining / meeting areas
Office areas
Stairs-only (or coffins.. hrm..)
Bedrooms.

Or just move the bed rooms farther away. Sure they have to walk.. but how often do they head back to their rooms?
When in danger or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2008, 03:55:36 pm »

I make a room that has half the amount of beds as there is dwarves. Then for the noble dwarves I make quarters packed with statues and an artifact.

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2008, 03:55:47 pm »

The noise penalty isn't that big, really. It's easily cancelled out by a huge dining room, and I usually have a dining room the size of a Z-level.

Also, I sometimes stack several complexes on top of each other, like this:

Military
Entry
Storage
Workshops
Bedrooms
Dining Room
Bedrooms
Workshops
Storage
Noble's Rooms
Exploratory Mining Shafts

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2008, 04:44:39 pm »

My current design uses a bunch of 3x3 room.  Although to prevent dwarf economy from getting them evicted, I build most room in a dormitory style, namely have 2 beds per room (or 3 if you want to drive them down further).  That way they can share a coffer and cabinet.  Now even if they're poor, they still get a room (shared with 1 or 2 others) a cabinet and a coffer (again, shared).
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Eatnobles4breakfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2008, 07:14:23 pm »

I've herd it's good to have rooms and workshops with doors, so crazy deprived moody people can just starve themselves...so, i have star shaped rooms taking up 13 spaces per dwarf, any number high would work, and i fill in the spaces with noble rooms and offices, though i guess i could just put offices in the rooms...
Dastog Eatsnobles is posessed with a lazy mood!
Dastog Eatsnobles cancels be useful: in a lazy mood
Dastog Eatsnobles has claimed a wooden couch!
Dastog Eatsnobles is now a legendary peasant!

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2008, 09:33:29 pm »

I had a nice setup that I kinda tried to copy from a fractal design on the wiki.  It ended up looking like a swastika... :\

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2008, 01:40:08 am »

well im gonna make a whole floor into the resitental area.my workshops are on the -1 resitental area somewhere in -4 or so so i have stone to garve into,also all the rooms will be 3x3 and have a bed,coffer and a chair in them.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2008, 08:07:34 pm »

My design is like this:

Turquoise = bedroom
Green = door
Red = stairs
Pink = dining room
Yellow = table
Blue = chair/throne

It might not be very space efficient, but I can stack them above each other quite easily and I like it when the dining room is already implemented in the design. I could also just don't make a dining room and make a food or furniture stockpile instead. It works really well and it's easily extendable.

Yes, I love symmetry.

Edit: Imageshack often changes the links to the actual image, so here's the link.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 08:10:21 pm by MC Dirty »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 28