Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 28

Author Topic: Bedroom Designs...  (Read 131607 times)

Zona

• Bay Watcher
  • SEE YOU SOON
    • View Profile
Re: Bedroom Designs...
« Reply #240 on: February 23, 2010, 11:32:17 am »

Got it from the wiki. Is not pretty but it works well.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Those lucky dwarves, despite the risk of being stabbed, shots, poisoned, eaten, mauled, enslaved, eviscerated or involved in accidents... at least they don’t have to worry about immediate dangers like the heat death of the universe.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 20, 2010, 10:26:57 pm »

sorry to necro such an old topic, but it is a really great one and I had what I think is a newish idea..  even with the high density 1x3 blocks seen above, you only get one door (or one bedroom) ever-other tile of hallway space.   You could pretty easily make it EVERY tile, using a 1x3 bedroom if instead of doors you used up-ramps and down-ramps and hatch covers.  I prefer ramps to stairs, as they take one less movement to traverse.

Or, you could provide lavish 3x3 bedrooms and have an enterence on 3/4 of all your hallway squares:

Code: [Select]
    ...       ...                   ...
...^...v...   ...v                 ^...
...........   ...     ...   ...     ...
...v...^...          v...   ...^       
    ...       ...     ...   ...     ...
...^...v...   ...v                 ^...
...........   ...     ...   ...     ...
...v...^...          v...   ...^       
    ^.v           v   ...   ...    ^   
    ...          ...              ...   

you can probably push fractal designs to further efficiencies, and can certainly get more useable space out of 3 z-levels than I am doing here, but I think this paths the shortest.  If you use all of the space on each level more efficiently, then you have to traverse more hallway space to get to any given room.

edit: oops, i missed by a hair.  the ramps need to be in the hallway so they have a wall behind them, but it does not cut down on the walkable space or change the distance to any of the rooms.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 10:37:25 pm by puke »

ZhangC1459

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: September 20, 2010, 11:17:35 pm »

sorry to necro such an old topic...

Sorry is an excuse to do it again.

That having been said, I like the Raynard whirlpool design a lot.  Something about it is just pure awesome.  Look it up.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 21, 2010, 10:00:39 am »

i guess im not sorry then.  its worthwhile to have this stuff all in one place.

Slayer

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:magma]
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 21, 2010, 03:52:43 pm »

Code: [Select]
+++++++++++++++
+░░░┼░░░░+░░░░+
+░+++░++░+░++░+
+░+N+░b+┼+░b+┼+
+░+O+░░░░+░░░░+
+░+++░++░+░++░+
+░+++░b+┼+░b+┼+
+░░░+░░░░+░░░░+
+░+++░++░+░++░+
+░+B+░b+++░b+┼+
+░+++░░░░+░░░░+
+░+++░++░+░++░+
+░░░+░b+┼+░b+┼+
+░+++░░░░+░░░░+
+░+L+░++░+░++░+
+░+++░b+┼+░b+┼+
+░+++░░░░+░░░░+
+░░░+░++░+░++░+
+░+++░b+┼+░b+┼+
+░+E+░░░░+░░░░+
+░+++░++░+░++░+
+░+++░b+┼+░b+┼+
+░░░+░░░░+░░░░+
+++++++++++++++

Now I mirror this in the lower right corner, this is also where I would place staircases.
Derp.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: September 21, 2010, 04:15:52 pm »

I love that circular bedroom design. I have half a mind to add it to the wiki!

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 22, 2010, 02:13:27 am »

Sorry is an excuse to do it again.

That having been said, I like the Raynard whirlpool design a lot.  Something about it is just pure awesome.  Look it up.

You know you could have saved everybody the hassle and linked to it so we had a clue what you were talking about.

Also, I'm not sure that you get better packing if you try to use up and down ramps to use every floor tile in a hall.  It does, however, add an interesting element to something that normally ends up incredibly repetitive.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Diavolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 22, 2010, 06:10:22 am »

I like giving my dwarfs some good space in their rooms, so I make 3x3 rooms or 3x2 rooms if thats what fits with the other stuff I have. usually make 6 rooms in a "block" with paths around. 3x3 rooms take a lot of space, but I dont usually have space problems and I always put the dwarfs rooms close to what they work with. 

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 22, 2010, 06:24:45 am »

I make small bedrooms in the useless spaces between rooms and hallways, where no proper industries may be placed and stockpiles would be too far away from their relevancy. They're noisy and low-quality, but some dwarves just don't want to walk all the way to the faraway quiet pretty ones.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 22, 2010, 01:43:46 pm »

I've tried a lot of these hive-like designs in most fortresses, but I've recently found that placing rooms in less-orderly ways can lead to a much more interesting layout. It's really just a personal thing. I don't spend a lot of time planning out my floors and you can tell by looking at my fortresses that they kind of just sprung up, with rooms being added as necessary. Sometimes when I'm bored I find a dwarf without a room, look at their likes and dislikes, and try to make a room accordingly.

Efficient? Not really, but it gives the fortress a more "underground city" kind of feel, and it's also very interesting to try in the caverns, carving rooms into large stalagmites/tites, sometimes building small bridges between them.

It's all very engaging to me, and makes me want to play further into my latest game to get a few squads ready for the journey into the depths.

Doc_LaKock

• Bay Watcher
  • Broken bones? Brb soap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 22, 2010, 03:20:56 pm »

At this moment I have a 5-floor tall fully-bauxite apartment complex constructed separate from my fortress (connected through a tunnel). It hides the (red) blood and keeps my lower-income dorfs happy. Each room is 1x2 with a bed, a window, and a door. Surprisingly they don't mind the cramped quarters due to the walls , floor and ceiling above them being constructions and a gem window being awesome. Its my ghetto housing solution, but as long as my guards patrol there, it tends to keep them happy.
Goblins have no sense of humor. Therefore clowns hate them.

Petra

• Bay Watcher
  • Vortex of Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 24, 2010, 08:28:22 am »

I want to see pics of that bauxite ghetto housing complex.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 24, 2010, 08:46:41 am »

I'm lazy so I make an huge 20x20 room, fully engraved by legendary engravers, with cheapo statues along the walls and some cabinet/chest thrown it for a good measure

the surface of the room is filled with beds, each one a room filling and overlapping each other.

they all like it, it seem, all unit have an happy though* that goes like 'he slept in a place like a personal palace' or something

*actual spelling unknown  :D

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 24, 2010, 11:06:33 am »

I use the small Greek cross design myself. I prefer to switch the way the hallways go every z-level, though, so it isn't so monotone going down the levels.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

DoctorFunSocks

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 30, 2010, 10:30:11 am »

Here's the layout I used to use a lot, made up of small 3-tile rooms. This gives each dwarf just enough space for a bed, cabinet, and chest. Looks pretty swanky when smoothed out (I use Mayday graphic pack).
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For clarification, the X's are up/down stairs. I used to do one large 3x3 square of staircases straight through the middle. You can pepper staircases at intersections as needed.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 10:37:18 am by DoctorFunSocks »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 28