Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28

Author Topic: Bedroom Designs...  (Read 131608 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bedroom Designs...
« Reply #375 on: June 08, 2014, 12:47:53 pm »

Or just have walls be at least two tiles thick, as MMAI suggests.

My current favorite bedroom layout features a main z+0 level of hallways with up and down ramps into rooms.  Z+1 and z-1are dense grids of 3x3 rooms, with no gaps or halls.

I really like some of the fractal designs with equadistant pathing, but they're a hassle to implement.

Kreydurst

• Bay Watcher
  • Is insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: June 08, 2014, 01:11:19 pm »

.... I've been here since 2010 and thoroughly read through the wiki and I had no idea that engravings were one sided, which makes sense but I guess you need to use careful planning or traffic designations in order to ensure the engravings are done in the right direction,.

Or you could have the double wall so that each room actually has 2 buffer layers between it.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: June 08, 2014, 07:43:39 pm »

W=Wall, preferably engraved stone.
X=Open Space
B=Bed
D=Door

WWWWW
WX B XW
WX X XW
WWDWW

Place cabinets/chests in the empty spaces.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: June 09, 2014, 06:43:58 am »

I used to think 2x3 or 3x4 was plenty of space for a bedroom, untill I started playing minecraft, Now I know dwarves like being underground and perhaps are somewhat agoraphobic but now I feel like I'm just being stingy with space.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: June 09, 2014, 07:05:48 am »

I think my days playing minecraft are what compel me to make large bedrooms. Sure, the 1x4 fractal layouts are pretty, and efficient, but I would hate to crawl over my dresser to get to my bed, or move my bed into the hall just so I could get a shirt.

I've been trying to keep more open patterns lately, and a few of the space saving fractals here, with large rooms are interesting. Gonna see how I like them in my current fort.

Evaris

• Bay Watcher
  • Random Bored Kitsune
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: June 09, 2014, 01:23:07 pm »

I've been making in my standard (non-evil) embarks 5x5 rooms for all my dwarves aside from mayors/high nobility/sheriffs/CotG for a while now, usually I set them up like this, and run 2 Z level deep water source beneath (pretty much my entire residential floors)  With the upper Z level being 3 units deep, and then cisterns beneath rows of rooms on lower z level:

XXXXXXX
XBF_ARX
X_____X
X__L__D
X_____X
XHH_CTX
XXXXXXX

And on evil embarks where I have fewer civilian resources to work with, I forgo the armor stand, weapon rack, well, and water supply:

XXXXXXX
XBF__HX
X_____X
X_____D
X_____X
XH__CTX
XXXXXXX

key:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Orichalcum Dwarf Fortress: An expansion mod giving extra realistic options to many un-and-underused materials in game.  [currently out of date, may be revived in the future]

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: June 11, 2014, 01:00:10 am »

Very roomy, but why is the furnature so clumped together?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: June 11, 2014, 07:39:17 am »

Why do people bother with complex bedroom designs?
The main benefit to early bedroom patterns was waaaay back in the 2d version, where you could actually expect to run out of space.

The secondary benefit that is most applicable in modern versions is that they sometimes look cool/dwarfy.

And then lastly you'll find the rare design that actually hinders vampires and prevents corpses from sticking around unnoticed for ages.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Lanie

• Bay Watcher
  • A young philosopher playing DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: June 11, 2014, 10:52:50 am »

I am amazed how structured most of the designs look, i just make them up as is go. Some of your designs are so minimalistic, i would not want to live in these fortresses. ;) (though, my designs are probably just an expression of my amateurstyle.

MeMyselfAndI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: July 25, 2014, 01:21:54 pm »

I've been experimenting with a semi-hexagonal bedroom / workshop / tomb design. Less efficient than the "3x3 with a staircase" design, but oh well.

This only has single-thick walls, but as I'm staying away from engravings anyways currently (due to lag) that's not an issue.

Code: [Select]
       ..  ..     
       n.  .n     
        d  d       
       ..  ..     
       b.  .b       
.n ..b  .  .  b.. n.
..d....  dd  ....d..
       d.xx.d     
       d.xx.d     
..d....  dd  ....d..
.n ..b  .  .  b.. n.
       b.  .b       
       ..  ..     
        d  d       
       n.  .n     
       ..  ..         
(I often put in a cabinet as well in each room, to counter XXsocksXX buildup. Also yes, this bedroom design has 4 2x3 + 1 and 4 2x2 + 1 bedrooms per level - it's non-uniform. You can easily replace a tomb or a bedroom with an office or mini-dining area too.)

Code: [Select]
...... ...... ......
......   ..   ......
.........xx.........
.........xx.........
......   ..   ......
...... ...... ......

The nice thing about this combination is that it's extremely easily tile-able. I've been repeating 1 storage level, 1 workshop level, 1 storage / dining room level, 1 bedroom level, and 1 interconnect/storage level. Seems to work extremely well.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 01:41:58 pm by MeMyselfAndI »

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: July 25, 2014, 02:40:05 pm »

I used to do individual bedrooms, but due to the owned clothing bug, where they never get cleaned up and you get piles and piles of XXsocksXX everywhere, killing your FPS.

Does anyone know if Toady accidentally fixed that bug without telling us?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: July 25, 2014, 04:27:02 pm »

My rooms are 3x5, and include a bed, two cabinets, a table, two chairs, armor stand, weapon rack, and a chest. Makes construction of large bedroom complexes difficult, but satisfying.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

DiacetylMorphine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: July 25, 2014, 05:13:48 pm »

i use 3x5 aswell. Dwarfs seems really happy about it.

Slackratchet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: July 26, 2014, 11:44:12 am »

I tend to build two rooms for each dwarf. A 3x3 room with a bed and other things like a cabinet or chest and an upwards staircase in the middle. The room above is a study/dinning room and has an up/down staircase in the middle of it. Above that is the main production floor and just outside their room is whatever it is they have as a job, so the cook lives below the kitchen for example. Not shown are the floor hatches put in place to keep the noise down. I probably build more floor hatches than most. :)

lower  upper
room   room
╔═══╗  ╔═══╗
║   ║  ║   ║
║>θ ║  ║X╥╤║
║   ║  ║   ║
╚═══╝  ╚═┼═╝
       =====
       =====
       =====

On the upper level are usually food and drink stockpiles right outside the door.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 26, 2015, 02:21:20 am »

I've updated my room design since I started playing again a little while ago, after a few years of a break.

It houses a solid 36 Dorfs, includes 4 spaces to install chains for the justice system, and even has open ends for further exploratory mining in case you find a good mineral vein somewhere. I usually just leave space for six of these puppies, and my fortress is good for housing for every  migrant who sees fit to wander into my death trap.

Black is dug out space, brown is for beds, blue is for doors, and red is for justice chains if you want to use them. Shoot, I just realized that I changed the background to the same colour as the central stairs. Just imagine that the central grey area has a sequence of up/down stairs in it.

This is for those "convert image into a floor plan" programs.

How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28