Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Help request] How to assign a pet to a dwarf with no preference for them?  (Read 1157 times)

gre11023

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Hello folks, I'm facing a quandary. Currently playing a small fort, with a lone dog that was rescued from a wrecked caravan. In spite of being slated for adoption for years, no dwarf claimed her, since none of the citizens happens to have a preference for dogs. She is going to pass away of old age soon, and since she is nobody's pet I realize she won't get a tomb.

I don't want her to go unburied, and I'm willing to cheat to avoid that. Two ways to go about this came to my mind, involving Dfhack: 1) Edit the preference of a dwarf to like dogs, so she'll be adopted 2) Edit ownership tags, through gm-editor I suppose, to directly assign her to some dwarf.

Now, I know almost nothing about coding, and my extent of experimentation with Dwarf Fortress is basic raw changes.
Regarding option 1, I sifted through the prefchange script, and noticed the blurb at the bottom saying "Feel free to adjust the values as you see fit, change the has steel to platinum, change the axp axes to great axes, whatnot". Point being, I'm not sure how to go about this. Do I pick one of the precomplied options and edit it with the general tag of dogs as creature instead of, say, steel?

Regarding option 2 ... Gm-editor, oh boy, where to start. I'm grateful we have such a powerful tool in first place, but it's almost impenetrable. I compared the dog's GUI to that of an adopted pet, and I'm having a hard time finding some pet flag.

What do you advice me to do? Perhaps there's some other way to ensure the dog will get a proper burial.

Let me know if this isn't the right subforum to post this. Thanks in advance for any help.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Train her as a war or hunting dog then just assign her manually to a dwarf.