Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Nostalgia  (Read 6333 times)

Brutaka001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Nostalgia
« on: January 08, 2018, 03:57:43 pm »

Even though the new version has been out for a bit now, I still find myself leaning back to the older version, I guess "Legacy" is a good word for it.

Back when you could command vast armies of undead as a Warlock, or heavily guard your fort with mechanical units and traps as Gnomes. Or even kidnap invaders and infect them with your own young as the unofficial Hivemind Wasps. I miss it all, and I wish they would one day see the light of 43.05, yet I highly doubt it because tilesets seem to be more important then actual mod additions previously stated to be working on.

wags

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nostalgia
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 01:12:55 pm »

Even though the new version has been out for a bit now, I still find myself leaning back to the older version, I guess "Legacy" is a good word for it.

Back when you could command vast armies of undead as a Warlock, or heavily guard your fort with mechanical units and traps as Gnomes. Or even kidnap invaders and infect them with your own young as the unofficial Hivemind Wasps. I miss it all, and I wish they would one day see the light of 43.05, yet I highly doubt it because tilesets seem to be more important then actual mod additions previously stated to be working on.
I don't want to stir the pot but you seem awfully provocative about Meph's priorities involving the tilesets and Masterwork.
Have a nice day!

Brutaka001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 03:05:03 pm »

I honestly didn't even see it as provocative, so I'm sorry if it comes out that way. I was just noting the behavior in regards to his absence so I go back to a more stable build until the current one is prioritized.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 07:28:02 pm »

I would like to chip in, not as a MW fan but as a fellow modder on Meph's behalf.

When you're gone and out of the "game" (modding) it's not easy to get back into, and with the mess of his raws I can very much see that. The tilesets is his way of getting back into it. I'm guessing if he jumped right into his raws again he'd feel completely overwhelmed and might just stare at it not sure what to do.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 12:09:16 pm »

Ah, those were good times...

I could see myself getting back into modding, at least for a little bit.  Maybe even remaking the gnomes.  But no way am I remaking the automatic machine system again.  That was some serious coding and I'm way too busy with other stuff.

It's a slippery slope.  You start out modding, then move on to hard DFHacking, and next thing you know you're making your own games...

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 02:24:27 pm »

Lol.... all if what they said is true.   Meph is currently still trying to understand what happened to MDF while i worked on it as MMDF.   There is a lot of changes in coding since he last worked on the project. 
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

coolphoton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 05:34:03 pm »

Ah, those were good times...

I could see myself getting back into modding, at least for a little bit.  Maybe even remaking the gnomes.  But no way am I remaking the automatic machine system again.  That was some serious coding and I'm way too busy with other stuff.

It's a slippery slope.  You start out modding, then move on to hard DFHacking, and next thing you know you're making your own games...
Please do! Personaly, I think I have used the auto machenes maybe twice in about 100 gnome forts.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 06:34:58 pm »

I'm just finishing what I started. Last thing I was working on before my absence was the tileset. And Warlocks as they are can't be ported from legacy Masterwork to the new one; way too many dependencies on old AI behaviour and dfhack scripts. Porting the Warlocks was never planned; I would have remade them from scratch. In fact I started with that, then gave up because creatures don't use interactions the way they did in 34.11, so it's impossible to make them the way I wanted.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 10:14:07 pm »

I'm just finishing what I started. Last thing I was working on before my absence was the tileset. And Warlocks as they are can't be ported from legacy Masterwork to the new one; way too many dependencies on old AI behaviour and dfhack scripts. Porting the Warlocks was never planned; I would have remade them from scratch. In fact I started with that, then gave up because creatures don't use interactions the way they did in 34.11, so it's impossible to make them the way I wanted.
I get the impression that 34.11 hit a rather nice balance in terms of detail and malleability, something that Dwarf Fortress likely won't for years to come.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 10:18:48 pm »

Is there a way to play MW in ASCII? I hate tilesets.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 07:07:17 am »

Is there a way to play MW in ASCII? I hate tilesets.

yes here's a previous response dealing with this:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=125638.msg7645589#msg7645589

Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Brutaka001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 09:59:36 am »

If i knew how the different reactions worked and stuff i'd totally pick up the wasps. It was a huge difference between the other races that got me hooked to them. So far in this version the buildings and reactions work there, its just the breeding that makes the client crash. I spent hours just staring at n++ trying to find my way around lol.

So far the breeding would have to be tweaked because of the way the siege system is right now.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 10:05:15 am by Brutaka001 »

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 06:12:44 pm »

If i knew how the different reactions worked and stuff i'd totally pick up the wasps. It was a huge difference between the other races that got me hooked to them. So far in this version the buildings and reactions work there, its just the breeding that makes the client crash. I spent hours just staring at n++ trying to find my way around lol.

So far the breeding would have to be tweaked because of the way the siege system is right now.
Succubi have been successfully updated to post 40.xx versions, complete with dens of iniquity, so I can't imagine breeding is too hard to get working...
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Brutaka001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 04:19:47 am »

Succubi use their Den of Iniquity to turn a person into a demon. Plus they also actually breed. The wasps are slightly different. They lay eggs, and the grubs that hatch from that egg (which are considered pets), must bite and infect man-sized prisoner then die. The prisoner turns into  wasp after a season. The only difference i've seen is the succubi use a building reaction to instantly turn someone, while actually breeding as backup, where wasps must lay pets, which infect and kill themselves, to gradually change someone.

I mean, it could be made to actually follow the life cycle of actual wasps where the queens make the workers and other replacement queens, while the workers lay drone eggs in a pinch.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 06:14:48 am »

Succubi use their Den of Iniquity to turn a person into a demon. Plus they also actually breed. The wasps are slightly different. They lay eggs, and the grubs that hatch from that egg (which are considered pets), must bite and infect man-sized prisoner then die. The prisoner turns into  wasp after a season. The only difference i've seen is the succubi use a building reaction to instantly turn someone, while actually breeding as backup, where wasps must lay pets, which infect and kill themselves, to gradually change someone.

I mean, it could be made to actually follow the life cycle of actual wasps where the queens make the workers and other replacement queens, while the workers lay drone eggs in a pinch.
Ah, that is a tad more complex. I imagine you'd want [DIE_WHEN_VERMIN_BITE] for the biting bit. The larvae are pets because they lack [CAN_SPEAK], but the issue is forcing eggs to contain them. Still, that's simply a matter of changing the egg's caste or species ID, which, if it hasn't already been identified in DF-Structures, shouldn't be hard to find. The delayed reaction on the transformation is already doable with syndromes. That leaves the matter of getting them to target prisoners, which sounds doable, but I'm not sure exactly how you'd achieve it.
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."
Pages: [1] 2