Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Temples and creation myths  (Read 1637 times)

sionlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Temples and creation myths
« on: January 09, 2018, 10:48:28 am »

At the moment temples don't feel fleshed out like taverns and libraries are. Could the next major update, ie creation myths, present an opportunity to augment temples somehow, eg creating temple to specific deity in the creation myths grants bonuses?

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: Temples and creation myths
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 12:05:45 pm »

A: Pretty sure this belongs in the suggestions forum
B: Creation myths influencing in-game religion, and thus temples, is pretty much an inevitable necessity in the long-term, so even a suggestion probably isn't necessary.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 03:24:43 pm »

The official reason more hasn't been done yet is that, yes, everything religion is planned for the mythgen update.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 09:18:26 pm »

Mythgen is going to be the best thing ever. Because it'll not only include creation myths; it'll also include magic. Customizable magic. So you can make spells that make people explode into flaming chunks using modding.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2018, 09:55:48 pm »

Mythgen is going to be the best thing ever. Because it'll not only include creation myths; it'll also include magic. Customizable magic. So you can make spells that make people explode into flaming chunks using modding.
And disguise yourself as a bucket. Can't wait!

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 07:16:59 am »

¨

that sounds pretty fucking amazing...is there any place i can read more about this customizable magic?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 07:21:50 am »

¨

that sounds pretty fucking amazing...is there any place i can read more about this customizable magic?

Toady just said that somewhere, not sure where, though. No further details because nobody has any clue about what it will be, exactly. Let's wait 1.5 years and find out.

angelious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 07:41:40 am »

¨

Toady just said that somewhere, not sure where, though. No further details because nobody has any clue about what it will be, exactly. Let's wait 1.5 years and find out.

aww...thats a long wait. will be worth it tho. i do love magic and everything related to magic.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 02:12:59 pm »

I just want two spells. Or rather, a potion and a spell. A potion that temporarily disables cave-adaptation, and a spell that turns enemies into toads.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 02:35:17 pm »

Lucky for you then that those will both undoubtedly be among the nigh-infinite possibilities. ;)
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 04:05:55 pm »

I just want two spells. Or rather, a potion and a spell. A potion that temporarily disables cave-adaptation, and a spell that turns enemies into toads.

Congratulations!  Your procedurally generated world has the following types of magic:

* A potion that temporarily turns toads into caves

* An enemy spell that adapts to the disabled

Isn't keyed pseudo-random generation great? :)

Sethatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 04:52:19 pm »

I just can't wait to make a big library with hundreds of dwarven wizards studying and unlocking crazy spells and all the accidents that will happen along the way.

Doren Gusiliden wizarddwarf has made a discovery! He has learned to "teleport enemy appendage"!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 04:55:07 pm by Sethatos »

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2018, 05:28:50 pm »

Miner cancels Dig: Toad collapse

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2018, 09:16:57 pm »

Also, it'll feature wall-and-ground-destroying explosions.