Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bug(s) that you personally find annoying  (Read 950 times)

Zara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bug(s) that you personally find annoying
« on: January 10, 2018, 06:49:46 am »

As the development of Dwarf Fortress is currently in the bug fixing period between two expansions, I thought I put this under 'Suggestion'.

Still in an older version of the game I have a smoothly running fort in a location with two evil (and one good) biomes. Regular zombie, goblin and forgotten beast invasions weren't that difficult to take care of, as I have some Axe Lords equipped with exceptional/masterwork steel armor and weapons. Actually, I only lost two of them.. to this bug: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7444 

My dwarves have embarked to a very special location, that also includes a volcano and some layers of aquifer. After I had the fortress running, I started to a magma channelling operation to remove part of the aquifer, and in the cave claimed this way, I build one of the barracks - the channel with the magma was only separated from the sparring area by a 1-tile-wide gneiss block wall. Two of my sparring dwarves must have teleported through it - at least I found their steel weapons and armor in the magma channel, their bodies were nowhere to be found.   

Of course, this is one of the bugs for which there is an easy workaround (just build all walls around barracks 2-tile-wide), but I didn't know that beforehand. So if it is appropriate to suggest bugs to fixed before the next expansion, I would suggest this one. Also I would be interested in reading what bugs you found annoying.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Bug(s) that you personally find annoying
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 06:55:18 am »

This is not a suggestion. Put it in general discussion.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 08:24:47 am »

So, your suggestion for Toady, that you want him to take time out of bug-fixing to take note of and apply as best he can to the future plans of the development of Dwarf Fortress is...fix a bug? One that's on the bug tracker? The bug tracker he's currently using to keep track of and fix bugs?
OK.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 07:16:04 am »

That bug that causes the game to crash if you give a [DARK_FORTRESS] civilization [CHAT_WORTHY] nobles.  That is nobles that actually exist during worldgen and can do stuff.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 02:45:58 pm »

You are aware that there is a bug tracker right.
Why you put it here and not in the bug report fourm anyway?
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 08:19:56 pm »

The bug report subforum is effectively dead

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 08:32:38 pm »

The bug report subforum is effectively dead
Why would that be?

(A: It's because of the bug tracker.)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 08:34:19 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 10:08:08 pm »

Just because it all may be really confusing for some people for some reason:

Bug Tracker:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/
Actively used to track, record and fix bugs. Report bugs on the bug tracker.

Bug subforum:
Here be dragons.
Don't post here. Dead subforum.

Suggestion subforum
For suggestions on how the planned features in the development notes (linked at the top of the page) could be implemented/made more interesting.
And for completely new suggestions which don't feature in the notes too!

Necroing allowed here since it could take up to 30 years for your suggestion to be acted on.
Be assured that each suggestion is noted in the grand Toadskin diary of forum suggestions, even if forum people never commented on it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 10:12:58 pm by Shonai_Dweller »