Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: The future of the Bay12 forums  (Read 17567 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
The future of the Bay12 forums
« on: January 10, 2018, 02:35:14 pm »

I 'v been scared to say this for a while now, for fear of backlash or something, but I might as well state it peoperly now. We need to face something. The forum is dying. The post count has halved since last year, and it doesn't seem to be stopping. I love these forums. I love to watch the sociopaths and mad scientists of the world discussing unicorn farms over a game of dwarf fortress, but I don't want to see it dry up. I'm making this thread to discuss it, since it hasn't been a proper topic recently. I hope I don't need to lock this thread. Let the games begin.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: The future of the Bay12 forums
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 02:53:39 pm »

... I'unno, I haven't really noticed much slowdown in GD and OG, which is mostly where I've loitered over the years. Little quieter, but part of that was losing some of the more energetic folks or others chilling for one reason or another. Maybe more in line with some of the slower years, but last year was pretty eventful, pretty sure both with new DF releases and... otherwise. Part of that's probably because I don't really notice that kind of thing to begin with unless it's hella' overt, but...

Anyway, entirely too lazy to check, but is the reduced post count you're seeing coming disproportionately from any particular part of the forum? If it's primarily some portion of FG&RP, ferex, it might not necessarily mean much regarding the rest of the forum. Also totally possible for a post-release slump to be settling in, which iirc is fairly common (as is a spike when a big new one happens).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 02:57:12 pm »

I've migrated to Sufficient Velocity/Spacebattles for quest/forum game based stuff and to Discord for the majority of rp. I suspect that is the same for many. Bay doesn't have the tier of robustness in its UI I have come to expect for places I run stuff on. I only pop in when I get notifications.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 02:57:56 pm »

Imic has a bit of a point, there has been substantial slowdown since 2014, with a huge dropoff in new members, topics created, and overall posts.  That said, it still hasn't dropped to below 2008 levels, so I think this is more of a stabilization than anything.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 02:59:03 pm »

Imic has a bit of a point, there has been substantial slowdown since 2014, with a huge dropoff in new members, topics created, and overall posts.  That said, it still hasn't dropped to below 2009 levels, so I think this is more of a stabilization than anything.

I hope you're right about it stabilizing.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 03:04:00 pm »

Consider also when the ban list was started and who has been banned. I'm guessing enough bans from the endless wars of the Ameripol thread would have an impact on forum stats.

Personally, I'm not worried. Post count != post quality.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 03:06:48 pm »

You can see some of the stats here: stats.  It doesn't give monthly breakdowns by forum unless I missed something, so it's not immediately clear where the falloff is.

Anecdotally, it does appear that there's less activity in the community games and in the DF related boards in general.  Could be a lot of reasons why, but for me at least that's because I got burned out on community games.  As a result, I also don't play DF very much anymore, which means I'm not really qualified to answer questions in those forums these days.  Accordingly, I don't post there unless I happen to stumble into a rare topic that nobody has replied to yet which I also definitively know the answer to.

My inclination would be to say that not as many people play DF now, and that its heyday appeared to be around the DF2012 era, but I don't have any real proof of that.  Donations haven't dropped off, but then maybe many donations come from people like me who support the project even if they don't play the game much these days.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 03:08:17 pm »

I think it says something that two bans in particular account for a pretty hefty decrease in new topics and posts (three if you extend back to 2013.)  Bay 12 owes a lot of its activity to a few very invested members of the community generating a large amount of conversation (both positive and negative).  So I don't think we're really in much danger.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 03:12:08 pm »

Anecdotally, I feel that FG&R was slower than a year ago, but this could be due to the emergence of discord.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 03:16:05 pm »

Panic threads about the future of the forum, it's just like old times.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2018, 03:21:42 pm »

Panic threads about the future of the forum, it's just like old times.

Were those a thing back in the Olden Days?
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2018, 03:23:14 pm »

Bay12 might as well be 3 different forums, with a bit of overlap between them. The Upper and Lower Boards don't interact much, and FG&RP is its own thing. Other Games is sort of a neutral area, but I tend to see Lower Boards folk in it more often than not.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2018, 03:25:39 pm »

Also, a few of the top posters were banned/were on hiatus, so it's no surprise post counts are down.
There were also quite a few "discussion-starter" posters, like Neonivek, that also got banned.

Looking at the banlist, I'm actually surprised we've gone almost 6 months without a non-troll/spammer ban.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 03:31:24 pm »

Also, a few of the top posters were banned/were on hiatus, so it's no surprise post counts are down.
There were also quite a few "discussion-starter" posters, like Neonivek, that also got banned.

Looking at the banlist, I'm actually surprised we've gone almost 6 months without a non-troll/spammer ban.

At the risk of picking at a forum scab, I think Neo's ban was kind of a wake up call to everyone. You don't necessarily have to be racist/trolling/flaming to get banned. You just need to generate enough reports that Toady gets tired of hearing about you.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2018, 03:35:33 pm »

I don't see how anybody can still believe that Neonivek wasn't trolling. It's plainly obvious from that perspective, where as every other perspective comes out as pure confusion.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12