Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: The future of the Bay12 forums  (Read 17812 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: The future of the Bay12 forums
« Reply #165 on: January 31, 2019, 04:45:12 pm »

Well, tbh, adventure mode need(ed) MUCH MORE work than fortress. I mean, even in 31 or 40 version, fortress mode was ok, and even fun, while adventure mode felt boring and empty.
That said, the emptiness of adventure mode did lead to people finding other dumb stuff to do... Such as mountaineering.

Severedicks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 31, 2019, 06:15:54 pm »

It's been 7 years of adventure mode focused development (since 2012). I mean it's not a secret that it's Toady's preferred mode (assuming you exclude nongameplay modes, otherwise it'd be Legends), he was much more into games like Hack or Dark Souls than Caesar III or Pharaoh.

A particularly sad thing is that no one makes "multiplayer" (livesharing) fortresses anymore. There used to be half a dozen dfterm2 servers with a very active group and everything, then it died down. Then there was dfterm3, a short revival, and it died down again. When web fortress came up, no one cared to host a public server anymore. Then Warmist posted some impressive actual multiplayer dfhackery, only to be met with general indifference.

And now none of them has been updated for the latest version.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 01, 2019, 01:10:08 pm »

Another example with this graph

in blue how many "views" the "report of the month" (each month), and in red donations (one for every year).
You can see a peak in 2014 for DF 2014. Since then, it's been falling.
HOWEVER, a game which can create enough interest after 15 years, where more or less 10 000 people every months read a report is huge. It's not "dying".

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 02, 2019, 08:32:54 am »

I tend to check here a couple of times a week between like... Month long breaks from remembering the site even exists. And I do have to say It's kind of amazing how consistent the community seems even with those long breaks. Other communities I've been a part of before taking similar breaks from tended to completely and totally change whenever I left that long, even ones I thought were maybe even MORE enduring (RIP doom community).

With that in mind I think this place seems pretty safe and stable. Barring something like toady giving up on the game, which I feel like would even deflate the mostly disconnected lower boards.

wait what happened to the doom community, i've been counting on them as a sort of ancient lighthouse for user-made content and i'd hate to hear that's gone

did they go the way of scoredoom or what
I'm not sure. Some particularly bad, drama filled communities (skulltag and zdaemon) died painful deaths, but the doom community is still producing tens of maps and mods. In fact, just look at the cacowards.

As for the upper boards, we're in a little bit of a predicament with DF right now, where both modes have visibly broken, unfinished features key features that are sometimes too thin to write on or experiment with. Adventure mode has lost its gameified progression and has a quest and rumour system that frequently breaks (inability to spread rumours of your glory or report kills), and the political systems, such as insurrection, basically are empty frames and can lead to another leader being elected the moment you retire. Fort mode has, of course, the glitched psychology system.

It's pretty hard to discuss the game when your glitch isn't something cool like "My dwarf accidentally cut his wife's head off in sparring" or "My medical dwarf accidentally removed someone's lungs when they had a broken leg", and is instead "I had just destroyed an entire bandit network and planned to recruit an army, but could not because the fame system broke and I couldn't spread rumours about the attacks" or "My cool dwarf committed suicide because she was caught in the rain 2 years ago".

The first post 40d releases had game breaking bugs, too (T34 tier armour and acid rain), but I can't recall anything as structurally altering to the game as what we have now. Especially for adventure mode, where real life days of effort can be undone because of a kink in the speech system. You could always turn off weather or mod armour, you can't mod the speech system into not bugging out.

The biggest problem is that out of game communities tend to attract the !!SCIENCE!! types nowadays (mostly Reddit and /vg/), who are often unaware of the wiki and never contribute to it, effectively meaning their discoveries are forgotten with time. Unlike everything above, this is worrying as hell, as documentation is all DF has in the way of learning and mastering it. Imagine how incomprehensible the magic release will be if nobody documents it.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 09:04:46 am by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 02, 2019, 10:33:20 am »

As magic should be.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 09, 2019, 05:08:21 pm »

In 11 months what you got, before :

in 2010, think that http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=30026.15960 this one was 1065 pages long for one year and 3 months.

in 2011 -> 370 pages (15 mar -> 15 feb)
in 2012 -> 334 pages (15 feb -> 15 jan)
in 2013 -> 222 pages (15 jan -> 15 dec)
in 2014 -> 240 pages (15 dec -> 15 nov)
in 2015 -> 129 pages (15 nov -> 15 oct)
in 2016 -> 169 pages (15 oct -> 15 sept)
in 2017 -> 112 pages (15 sept -> 15 aug)
in 2018 -> 100 pages of fotf in 11 months. (1 Mar 2018 -> 1 Feb 2018)
I don't disagree that the forums are slowing down, but the decline in FotF responses is probably partially due to people running out of questions.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 10, 2019, 09:16:45 pm »

For my part, I've mostly withdrawn from B12 because I increasingly found myself incapable of discussion without derision and outright hostility (from me, not others) and I wanted to save Toady the hassle of having to put me out to pasture.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 10, 2019, 09:18:46 pm »

Similar. I've been getting banned all over the rest of the internet the past year or so.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Castlecliff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 10, 2019, 10:41:38 pm »

Dwarfs
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]