Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: The future of the Bay12 forums  (Read 17896 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: The future of the Bay12 forums
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2018, 08:06:18 am »

If y'all convince Today to change the forum software I'm outta here.
Most forums are pure cancer. The current setup is probably as close to ideal as I've seen.

...We should start a Bay12 Habbo Hotel room.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2018, 11:38:14 am »

Many have been here since before DF and by extension these forums were well populated, and will be long after bulletin boards aren't used. Memebers come and go.

There truly is a zen in lurking.

I for one propose we scrap the entire bulletin board system and main usenet chats for all of our communication. These kids and their notifications nowadays.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 11:41:59 am by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2018, 11:50:01 am »

Confession:

I am an old Escapist refugee, in disguise. Well, it is more in the nature that I decided one day to stop lurking and start 'contributing' to the Bay, a long while after the former playground became uninhabitable.

From this perspective, the Bay looks quite live and healthy. Perhaps not to the degree that it was, but this sort of forum environment, as lovely as it is, is no longer in step with the times. It is all reddits and snap-chats and so forth.
That does not particularly matter. Even if a good old forum is not what it once was, it can be very lovely indeed. The pond might shrink, but for the creatures that prefers such an environment to the modern up-down vote stream, it will still be a good pond.

But let us hope that no one drains it to fill a cistern.

If y'all convince Today to change the forum software I'm outta here.
Most forums are pure cancer. The current setup is probably as close to ideal as I've seen.

...We should start a Bay12 Habbo Hotel room.

Good heavens, imagine a hotel run on Fortress logic. My word... Of course, the absence of magma and wild animals will put a stop to the worst excesses, but one shudders to imagine what could replace them. Well. One shudders in fear, and shivers in delight.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 11:55:13 am by Silverthrone »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2018, 12:09:47 pm »

Are there any forums that don't look good when we set the bar at the Escapist forums?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2018, 12:15:06 pm »

Anyone else remember the days back before anyone had avatars?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2018, 12:54:09 pm »

The forum doesn't look very dying to me, overall.

In the mafia subforums, not so much. /subtle advertisement
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2018, 01:30:09 pm »

I generally like this format, but I'd kill for a working search function, and threadmarks would be wonderful for forum games. We don't really need thread alerts in the way that SB/SV do (except for community fort threads, they desperately need them), but alerts when you're quoted or addressed by your UN are lovely for continuing conversations and responding to questions. I wouldn't be adverse to Xenforo if it was stripped of the fucking "like" feature and other extraneous crap.

What is this even for

It's for monospaced text.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2018, 01:33:39 pm »

As a member for just over 7 years now, I have to say nothing seems out of the ordinary.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2018, 01:34:59 pm »

* Criptfeind had to look up what threadmarks are.

Looks pretty interesting, their function seems to be served by simply linking to the post in question in most cases. But it couldn't hurt I guess.

The broken search function is the worst though. Come on SMF. Whatcha playing at?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2018, 03:25:20 pm »

Yeah, fixing search would be nice. But while threadmarking MIGHT be useful, links in the OP and updating the thread title does the job well enough, and unlike threadmarking it doesn't come packed with a big pile of other cancerous features.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2018, 03:34:36 pm »

I think it is quieter around here than it used to be, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's dying. There's just been... a sort of generational departure, in a way. People come, people go, some of them post more than others.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2018, 03:39:04 pm »

Yeah, fixing search would be nice. But while threadmarking MIGHT be useful, links in the OP and updating the thread title does the job well enough, and unlike threadmarking it doesn't come packed with a big pile of other cancerous features.
I think it clearly does not. While in principle it works, the difference in effort between clicking "mark post" and doing the whole copy/paste/format rigamarole in the OP is such that I only rarely see people doing it even in fortress threads.

Now, that might be tolerable if not for the goddamn broken search function. It's not uncommon for me to be pulling a reverse mad libs with the search function trying to remember specific words from a post I read months ago which are unique enough to show up on the first page, since all other pages only work when the bones of the oracles say so.

It's been like this for years now. Are you still confident they're going to fix it? Sure, they patched that one catastrophic update that broke a bunch of people's top menus (among other weird shit), but this has gone through more than one new build and remained unresolved. SMF looks to me like a software on the decline, which will not remain in immaculate preservation but only decline further as browsers change and the SMF team's commitment wavers.

I still see corrupted text results in my searches every once in a while.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2018, 04:23:59 pm »

I think it is quieter around here than it used to be, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's dying. There's just been... a sort of generational departure, in a way. People come, people go, some of them post more than others.
Pretty much this. The forums still live, the DF boards I feel produce less discussion than they did, but are still pretty lively. General discussion I find is still very lively too, though I don't think there is an unspoken tension, I think that it's mostly just business as usual when it regards politics and the tensions arising from flame wars and stuff.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2018, 05:16:29 pm »

I don't think the search function is really part of people leaving?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2018, 05:26:08 pm »

A person does not search for something, have the search crash, then pull an infomercial and throw their monitor out the window. But what does happen is that people are encouraged to host forum activities elsewhere or just never start them because they can't get useful searches, among other inadequacies in SMF.

People don't stick around to run forum games and create stuff, then other people stop sticking around to partake of those things. Overall attendance drops rapidly as a result. It's the kind of thing that could threaten DF's livelihood if it gets bad enough.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12