Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: The future of the Bay12 forums  (Read 17936 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: The future of the Bay12 forums
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2018, 05:27:49 pm »

Might be a little alarmist. I'm sure there's a correlation of some kind between people who like ascii games, and people who prefer crusty, basic forum software. Forum hipsters, if you will.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2018, 05:29:24 pm »

I guess you could say that we need to...

Search for a solution  8)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2018, 05:31:39 pm »

As I said earlier, I don't actually think Bay 12 is in "danger of dying" as such, and the original premise of this thread is silly. But keeping the forums useful is in everybody's interest. I'm sure Toady is fully aware of how many people stick around here on a day to day basis not thinking at all about DF, and that's necessary because of the development cycle's length. But that does mean that the forum needs to be competitive for other activities, which I don't think it quite is anymore.

We had a Mafia community that I'm lead to understand people, like, talked about at one point.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2018, 05:57:06 pm »

A person does not search for something, have the search crash, then pull an infomercial and throw their monitor out the window. But what does happen is that people are encouraged to host forum activities elsewhere or just never start them because they can't get useful searches, among other inadequacies in SMF.

People don't stick around to run forum games and create stuff, then other people stop sticking around to partake of those things. Overall attendance drops rapidly as a result. It's the kind of thing that could threaten DF's livelihood if it gets bad enough.

IMO, that's extremely hyperbolic. I think most users don't even use the search function that much.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2018, 06:49:46 pm »

A person does not search for something, have the search crash, then pull an infomercial and throw their monitor out the window. But what does happen is that people are encouraged to host forum activities elsewhere or just never start them because they can't get useful searches, among other inadequacies in SMF.

People don't stick around to run forum games and create stuff, then other people stop sticking around to partake of those things. Overall attendance drops rapidly as a result. It's the kind of thing that could threaten DF's livelihood if it gets bad enough.

IMO, that's extremely hyperbolic. I think most users don't even use the search function that much.

It is, but (speaking solely for myself), the main reason I don't use the search function much is because it's often easier to try to remember who started a thread, find the thread through their profile, and then manually search for the post (if seeking a specific post) than it is to find it through the search interface.

* Criptfeind had to look up what threadmarks are.

Looks pretty interesting, their function seems to be served by simply linking to the post in question in most cases. But it couldn't hurt I guess.

The broken search function is the worst though. Come on SMF. Whatcha playing at?
Threadmarks came about pretty much because compiling indices of important posts is a complete pain in the ass, and not having any way to find specific posts by GMs, authors, &c. is incredibly archaic in the worst way.

Threadmarks are good because they do the same thing as an index in the OP with a fraction of the effort and are faster to navigate, while retaining the benefit of being able to scan through a complete index. Users can even subdivide them so that you have separate indices and ordering for different groups of posts, such as if you wanted to have story posts separate from supplementary posts.

There's some stuff that feels good in older formats, but the janky nonfunctional functions and annoying user-driven solutions to information needs can GTFO. It's the difference between taste and bad design. The format, lack of upframpt buttons, &c. is taste. The terrible search function, lack of alerts/threadmarks, &c. is just bad (or in some cases old) design. SMF is a dated, spottily maintained platform and it really shows. Sometimes that's nice, sometimes it sucks.

Like, shit, I don't think many people wish we'd go back to Usenet-styled newsgroups in place of forums. Older isn't always better, even if the reddit model can die in a fire as well.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2018, 03:07:53 am »

Verily I say unto you, the era of the sword and axe is nigh, the era of the wolf's blizzard. The Time of the White Chill and the White Light is nigh, the Time of Madness and the Time of Contempt: Tedd Deireádh, the Time of End. The world will die amidst frost and be reborn with the new sun. It will be reborn of Elder Blood, of Hen Ichaer, of the seed that has been sown. A seed which will not sprout but burst into flame.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2018, 04:00:07 am »

Verily I say unto you, the era of the sword and axe is nigh, the era of the wolf's blizzard. The Time of the White Chill and the White Light is nigh, the Time of Madness and the Time of Contempt: Tedd Deireádh, the Time of End. The world will die amidst frost and be reborn with the new sun. It will be reborn of Elder Blood, of Hen Ichaer, of the seed that has been sown. A seed which will not sprout but burst into flame.
Whut
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2018, 04:57:54 am »

Been hanging around since 2010.

I feel like there's been a change, too, but I've been feeling it for years. 

I'm sure that part of my perception is due to my own participation changing.  I used to hang out on here all day while I was at work, because I was at a shitty data entry job that I could breeze through and meet my metrics while hanging out on here to avoid falling asleep on the clock.  So I was heavily involved.  Put a lot of energy into a lot of discussions every day.  Actively looked for new threads and took everything in.

Now I just check in now and then throughout the day.  Keep up with Ameripol.  Glance at some of the major emotion threads and such on fleeting whim.  Throw in a post to express something for nothing but expression's own sake now and then.  When I have more time and feel nostalgic for this place or have a specific thing I want to seek discussion on, I might go a bit further.  But it's a drastic departure on my own part from the elder days.

And I'm sure that same sort of thing has happened with a lot of people.  There was a generation that came in around 2008-2012 that were mostly pretty young and brought a lot of intellectual energy and investment of time.  But that will naturally pass as everyone grows up, finds new things, takes on responsibilities, etc.  I'm sure new members are cycling in to renew this, but as time passes, I take notice of newer people hanging about less and less.  So between new threads and newer members grabbing my attention less, I'm less apt to notice it if it's there.

I think this compounds with Toady clamping down on certain subjects/styles of participation and succeeding at maintaining a certain level around here better than he used to, which in my opinion may make for a more stable atmosphere, but there's a certain sense of passion in the air that gets sacrificed along with it.

Still love this place and I agree with MSH that it's in no danger of dying out, but... I guess this is what getting old feels like.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 05:02:50 am by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2018, 08:21:27 am »

"Arise! Arise! Riders of Théoden! Spears shall be shaken, shields shall be splintered! A sword-day! A red day, ere the sun rises! Ride now, ride now, ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending! Death! Death!"
Love, scriver~

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2018, 03:31:07 am »

We could possibly advertise the forums and Dwarf Fortress ourselves.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2018, 03:33:52 am »

My dude, Bay 12 is still a major forum. New DF releases hit the front page of reddit. DF was featured in the Museum of Modern Art.

I'd find a different cause to banner for.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2018, 02:32:02 pm »

]
We could possibly advertise the forums and Dwarf Fortress ourselves.

Again, very hyperbolic. The forum is really in no danger of dying and frankly a bigger community =/= a better community.

EDIT: Coming from the guy who is one of the more trollish members of this community, I really don't think you want anyone worse than me running around here--which is exactly what will be happening if DF went the way of extreme popularity.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2018, 03:22:17 pm »

Love, scriver~

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2018, 08:46:53 pm »

Oh lord, there are spacebattlers here?

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2018, 12:58:56 pm »

Anyone else remember the days back before anyone had avatars?

I hang around exclusively to keep people aware that it is possible to not have avatars  :P

But I want to throw my two cents here: We are getting old.

When I joined I was a teenager, and took all opportunities to check what was going on in the forums.
Now I forget it's existence entirely every few days. Maybe we are just becoming a little less focused on the old things.
In a time before time, I had a name.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12