Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help save my adventurer and other lessons learned.  (Read 2923 times)

MrMotorhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help save my adventurer and other lessons learned.
« on: January 10, 2018, 03:20:19 pm »

I have managed to make a semi-successful adventurer but he's now trapped.  I managed to save my game while crossing a frozen lake.  The problem is that when I move the lake unfreezes briefly, and then re-freezes turning my guy into a necromancer popsicle.  I'd like to save this guy somehow and continue adventuring with him but I can't seem to find any way to get him back to land.  Any advice is welcome.

This guy was finally coming into his own, I was able to beat a necromancer tower without too much trouble.  My last companion Maga was sacrificed but helped me learn to not get surrounded by the zombie horde.  It took a while to clear the tower because I kept running into more necromancers and I wasn't very smart about keeping them from running away while I was killing them and raising up more helpers.  I started butchering the bodies as I killed them so it seemed like I was only fighting severed heads and skins at the end, and they didn't seem too dangerous.

The other recent close call was accidentally hiting my previous companion while practicing throwing.  Ablel was a really good swordsdwarf so luckily he had stopped using his steel shortsword when it happened.  He did manage to destroy my adventurer's ear and temporarily cripple my shield hand with the bone figurine he had taken to wielding.  I had tried to submit, talk him into stop fighing me and asked him to join again a few times but he kept turning hostile on me.  Sorry buddy, I wish I could have buried your body.

My previous companion Mebzuth was more of a pacifist.  It seemed like she would always find some place to run off to when fighting broke out, this was fine with me I think this was one of the reasons she lasted so long.  Unfortunately, she wandered a bit too close to the edge of a river while I was crossing and was eaten by an alligator.  Of course I came back to avenge her death, not just to pick up the steel gauntlets she had been wearing.

So water seems to have been the most dangerous hazard to my first few adventurers.  It took me a while to find a way out of Trustletter, fortress where my adventurer started, at first I didn't know that the fortress connected all the way to the surface.  I was trying to leave via the underground road and that proved to be a highway of death.  I lost 2 guys to drowning along that road and one to a giant cave spider.  I kept starting at the same fortress so I could find my way around as well as recycle equipment.  I think 7 points in swimming was the sweet spot where I was able to dive down and retrieve loot from my previous attempt. 

Always sneaking was hugely helpful in prolonging my adventurer's life.  Being able to see the red and yellow circles around possible problem mobs is really powerful.

I think I was taking too much armor at first, the weight of 3 chain shirts and the breastplate really adds up.  I think if I restart again with a dwarf I'll go for (all iron if possible) high boots with socks, greaves, one chain shirt and breastplate, gauntlets and leather gloves and a helm, and a leather cloak for good measure.  Sword and shield in my hands seems to be the best way to go, one time I found a steel longsword but sadly it was lost.

I could never find a merchant in the dwarf fortress where I started, I must have talked to 50 dwarves in that place.  Kind of sad to have to start out by stealing but at least there is dwarf sized equipment available.  When I first started playing there were no computer generated fortresses and no way to find dwarf sized equipment, so I had previously played only human adventurers.

The last thing I'll mention is boogeymans.  I made a few tries in 44.02 to get started as a raven man adventurer.  I thought I'd be able to fly away from boogeymans and I'd be all set, but it turns out you have to sleep somewhere.  Those things are an absolute menace, so when 44.03 came out I have been only playing dwarven adventurers and keeping companions with me to prevent death by boogeymans, also why I was so looking forward to playing with my necromancer as I won't have to keep companions alive anymore!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Re: Help save my adventurer and other lessons learned.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 08:55:11 pm »

This is an unwinnable situation. How to get out: Open dfhack, open the screen where your skills are with l-a. Type gui/gm-editor. Open "pos". Add one or two more zeroes to x or y (not z unless you want to go splat). Press ".".
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 04:55:12 am by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

verminatorsupreme

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 02:54:33 am »

This is probably unwinable, but one option is to jump a few blocks in any direction.  It just might work for long enough for the lake to finish its tantrum, but that's all I can think of.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 10:38:49 am »

Disable temperature in INI files ?
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

MrMotorhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 04:04:59 pm »

This is an unwinnable situation. How to get out: Open dfhack, open the screen where your skills are with l-a. Type gui/gm-editor. Open "pos". Add one or two more zeroes to x or y (not z unless you want to go splat). Press ".".
Modifying my adventurer's location seems like the perfect way to get out of this situation.

I'm having some trouble following these directions.  I installed dfhack 0.44.03-beta1 according to the instructions.  I can display the screen with my skills but I can't make anything happen with gui/gm-editor and I can't find anything named pos or find any way to modify it.  I don't see any script or plugin in the list from dfhack that let me modify my position.

I tried using the teleport script but it just makes the game behave strangely:
Code: [Select]
[DFHack]# teleport
A unit needs to be selected or specified. Use teleport -showunitid to get a unit's ID.
[DFHack]# teleport -showunitid
C:\Games\Dwarf Fortress/hack/scripts/teleport.lua:51: attempt to index a nil value
stack traceback:
        C:\Games\Dwarf Fortress/hack/scripts/teleport.lua:51: in local 'script_code'
        C:\Games\Dwarf Fortress\hack\lua\dfhack.lua:562: in function 'dfhack.run_script_with_env'
        (...tail calls...)

I tried this a few times but the only effect seemed to be that my adventurer was forced to the ground, "you can't stand up there's someone in the way" I could move and stand up but moving back to that tile made me crawl again.

I'm still looking into this and I'll update the thread if I figure out some way of getting my adventurer off of this frozen lake.

MrMotorhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 06:50:28 pm »

It seems to me that most of the dfhack functionality is for fortress mode.  The more I read about it, I get the feeling that I'm heading way down a rabbit hole.

Thanks to everyone with suggestions:
I tried many times to jump but I never seem to escape being frozen.
I looked a bit into the .ini files but I have no idea where to begin.

I think I'll just go ahead and download 44.04 and generate a new world.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 08:35:37 pm »

Modifying my adventurer's location seems like the perfect way to get out of this situation.

I'm having some trouble following these directions.  I installed dfhack 0.44.03-beta1 according to the instructions.  I can display the screen with my skills but I can't make anything happen with gui/gm-editor and I can't find anything named pos or find any way to modify it.  I don't see any script or plugin in the list from dfhack that let me modify my position.

I tried using the teleport script but it just makes the game behave strangely:
Code: [Select]
[DFHack]# teleport
A unit needs to be selected or specified. Use teleport -showunitid to get a unit's ID.
[DFHack]# teleport -showunitid
C:\Games\Dwarf Fortress/hack/scripts/teleport.lua:51: attempt to index a nil value
stack traceback:
        C:\Games\Dwarf Fortress/hack/scripts/teleport.lua:51: in local 'script_code'
        C:\Games\Dwarf Fortress\hack\lua\dfhack.lua:562: in function 'dfhack.run_script_with_env'
        (...tail calls...)

I tried this a few times but the only effect seemed to be that my adventurer was forced to the ground, "you can't stand up there's someone in the way" I could move and stand up but moving back to that tile made me crawl again.

I'm still looking into this and I'll update the thread if I figure out some way of getting my adventurer off of this frozen lake.

Press "l", then "a". That'll open your menu. Open DFhack. Type gui/gm-editor. Scroll to "pos". change x or y. What is there not to understand? I think tilesets miiiiight mess something up, but I don't know, because ASCII master race.

Hesperid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 06:14:42 am »

Open a text editor, then use that to open the file df_linux/data/init/d_init.txt. That is to say, the text file that is called "d_init.txt" that is located inside path df_linux/data/init. That is to say, in a folder called init, in a folder called data, in your df_linux folder.

Then use the search function of your text editor (probably called "FIND" or something) to find a string of text that says: "TEMPERATURE:YES". That text will not have the quotation marks around it, but it will be in square brackets. Square brackets are these symbols: ][. Change the YES to a NO and save the file, overwriting the old file.

When you restart your game, temperature changes in-game will be disabled and things should not thaw.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 07:03:21 am »

Open a text editor, then use that to open the file df_linux/data/init/d_init.txt. That is to say, the text file that is called "d_init.txt" that is located inside path df_linux/data/init. That is to say, in a folder called init, in a folder called data, in your df_linux folder.

Then use the search function of your text editor (probably called "FIND" or something) to find a string of text that says: "TEMPERATURE:YES". That text will not have the quotation marks around it, but it will be in square brackets. Square brackets are these symbols: ][. Change the YES to a NO and save the file, overwriting the old file.

When you restart your game, temperature changes in-game will be disabled and things should not thaw.

Remember to set it to YES afterwards.

MrMotorhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 12:20:32 pm »

Aha!  I have no folder called df_linux and I'm not playing on GNU/Linux operating system so I guess this must not be available for the version that I'm running (Windows).

I wonder if its related to the problem I was having with the gui-gm-editor as well.

Press "l", then "a". That'll open your menu. Open DFhack. Type gui/gm-editor. Scroll to "pos". change x or y. What is there not to understand? I think tilesets miiiiight mess something up, but I don't know, because ASCII master race.

I didn't explain this very well and went off on a tangent about the teleport command, sorry about that.  I tried typing all sorts of variants of that command into the dfhack window but I couldn't get anything to work.  I'm not using any tilesets, I just play straight vanilla df, I didn't even have dfhack until reading your reply.  Is the gui/gm-editor an additional script or plugin to dfhack that I didn't have in the version I downloaded?  I believe I got my download from the thread in this forum and it was the most recent build at the time.  I tried looking for the missing command and searching the web but I didn't find anything promising.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 02:00:03 pm »

Aha!  I have no folder called df_linux and I'm not playing on GNU/Linux operating system so I guess this must not be available for the version that I'm running (Windows).

I wonder if its related to the problem I was having with the gui-gm-editor as well.

The file you're looking for is data/init/d_init.txt, which is found in whichever folder you've stored the game.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 02:02:00 pm by ShinQuickMan »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2018, 09:12:49 pm »

I didn't explain this very well and went off on a tangent about the teleport command, sorry about that.  I tried typing all sorts of variants of that command into the dfhack window but I couldn't get anything to work.  I'm not using any tilesets, I just play straight vanilla df, I didn't even have dfhack until reading your reply.  Is the gui/gm-editor an additional script or plugin to dfhack that I didn't have in the version I downloaded?  I believe I got my download from the thread in this forum and it was the most recent build at the time.  I tried looking for the missing command and searching the web but I didn't find anything promising.

Ask on the dfhack thread.

MrMotorhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2018, 10:19:33 pm »

I'll do that, thanks to everyone that took time to help me out!

I located the init folder as well, I have started reading through some of the files there.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 07:27:37 pm »

There's a simpler method. I assume your adventurer is a human. Go to creature_standard in the raws folder of your save. Look for humans. Add the [FLIER] tag. Your necromancer will no longer fall into the water when it thaws, hovering above instead.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 09:25:02 pm »

There's a simpler method. I assume your adventurer is a human. Go to creature_standard in the raws folder of your save. Look for humans. Add the [FLIER] tag. Your necromancer will no longer fall into the water when it thaws, hovering above instead.

Remember to remove it later.
Pages: [1] 2