Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Olonaroth, Fortress of !!SCIENCE!! and Engineering  (Read 1020 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Olonaroth, Fortress of !!SCIENCE!! and Engineering
« on: March 23, 2018, 03:10:54 pm »

There have definitely been many, many advances in dwarven !!SCIENCE!! over the years, what with Turing-complete computers, werebeast clocks, etc. But there is definitely quite a lot more to explore. Hence, this fort. Olonaroth ("Gearedmagic") will be a fort dedicated entirely to engineering, mechanics and other dwarven !!SCIENCE!! of various kinds. I've created a medium world with a 500-year history and lotsa civs and volcanoes. I've already chosen a pretty interesting embark, with all of the following features:
  • A volcano for easy magma access
  • Sand, for a glassmaking industry (haven't done much with that)
  • A river for unlimited water and machine power
  • Warm, forested biome, so wood won't be a problem and the river won't freeze every winter
  • A nearby necromancer tower for fun with zombies
  • Neighbors will all the kinds of civs.

I've also compiled a list of three tenets for this fort:
  • Automation is king.
  • Dwarves are expendable.
  • No megaproject is beyond our abilities.

This might become a succession fort, but for now it's gonna be just me, though I cannot guarantee the consistency of updates. I might do some roleplaying for this, but I'm not very good at that so I'm not sure.

I'm currently thinking of projects I could attempt, but for now the objective is just getting our stuff inside and setting up basic accommodations. Update should come reasonably soon.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
Re: Olonaroth, Fortress of !!SCIENCE!! and Engineering
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 04:54:51 pm »

Dorf me as a mechanic/Weapon-smith with a focus on making power systems, (windmill farms to start with, then possibly water reactors, depending on our requirements).

And, I take it that we are going to over-engineer everything?
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 04:59:24 pm »

:D
Dorf me as Erin Quill, Magitechnician, lord of the traps and king of the mechanism!
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

auzewasright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 06:40:59 pm »

I will submit a dwarf, but I have an idea for a project: capture a megabeast that has dust that causes numbing, and set it up so that it sprinkles it all over the hospital.
On a fun note, all of the beds just starting disintegrating
By the way, it (my name) is pronounced "ah-zee".

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 12:50:44 am »

Bumping to notify all of you that this is not dead before it even starts, I just had to comb through about 10 worlds looking for the embark location because, in my typical fashion, I forgot where it was.  :P

But I found it now! I did a test embark and ran "prospect all", apparently we have hematite and sphalerite, as well as a flux stone layer. So we can get iron and steel but barely anything else; might actually force us to create a functional, secure trade depot instead of just giving the merchants the cold shoulder every time like I usually do. Running out of materials will not be a problem, since as I mentioned earlier, the embark has tons of sand which means we can make a 100% renewable glass production line.

Another thing worth mentioning is that the embark is going to be 6x6; yes, I know that is just asking for lag, especially considering what we're going to be doing here, but it's the only way I could include a significant portion of the river while also keeping the volcano.

There's also technically aquifer on the map, but because I honestly can't be bothered to deal with that I'll just edit out the [AQUIFER] tags out of all the raws.

Here's the embark location:

I'm just about to embark.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.