Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tutorial or guide or whatnot for modding  (Read 2186 times)

Brutaka001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tutorial or guide or whatnot for modding
« on: January 11, 2018, 05:15:27 pm »

For those that have been active here recently, it would be of no surprise to learn that I wish to learn how to, i guess, code so I can contribute and/or make a race to play as. Sadly I do not know where to ask except here since this place is full of fellow modders! Though here I am, basically begging. Is there any resource or guide or whatever to help create a basic race to play as privately, grow, then release here for others? I tried the wiki but it only shows how to add a race to Adventure mode, and OFC  am more interested in Fortress. I don't really have the time or money, working a 12hr job 5 days a week on $4 higher than min wage, to pay for college courses sadly. If anybody can help, it would be SUPER appreciated. If not, then i understand. Thank you for taking the time to read my rant.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Tutorial or guide or whatnot for modding
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 05:28:57 pm »

I'm not sure if the Masterwork subforum is the right place for this. There are a lot more active modders in the modding forum.

Start reading the wiki, especially the articles on http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Token tokens. Open a vanilla DF file, check the raws, and try to understand how they work, by checking up the token on the wiki.

Once you memorized a few of them, download a small mod and try to reverse engineer how it was made.

Don't do that with the files from Masterwork DF, they are not a good example for people that want to learn.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Brutaka001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 08:02:43 pm »

If you say so big boss man. Though I don't understand why you don't take pride in the the collection of works you have made. Even with the inactivity, which everyone deserves, people have played almost religiously

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 05:20:40 am »

Irrelevant. If you try to learn how machines work, you don't take apart a fusion reactor. You start with a radio. I was alluding to the complexity of it, especially since many features are outsourced to dfhack and impossible to discern from reading the raws.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Brutaka001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 10:17:54 am »

Aha now that it's complexity is somewhat explained by use of machinery, i completely understand now. Maybe I can get my brother with a degree in game design to maybe explain stuff to me instead of fumbling through the basic files without knowing. I got advice to start on the dwarf creature files and see how tags linked to each other and start there.