Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: job manager condition material crash ucrtbase.dll  (Read 1193 times)

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: job manager condition material crash ucrtbase.dll
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 10:49:03 am »

From what you've said I guess I can remove 'tweak condition-material' from the list
No. What I was saying is that you shouldn't have to add that line, because it's already there. Don't remove it.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

Kat1e

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 11:22:11 am »

I'm not even sure why extension hiding exists. The only reason for it I know of is to disguise malware as text/data files, and I'm fairly sure the small soft one didn't actually intend to facilitate that...

Microsoft is really cheesing me off these days. Their tendency to treat their customers like idiots from whom information must be hidden is irritating as f*ck. I know I'm no engineer, or whatever, but I should be able to see what is actually happening on _my_ PC. If I know something is going on, can see what is happening, and I understand that I don't have the knowledge to correct it without irretrievably breaking something I'll leave it alone. But if I can fix it myself without having to pay whatever fee the experts would charge to do a piddly little thing like, for example, unhiding file extensions (!!!! WTF MAN!!!) then why shouldn't I? You're right - why on earth hide the extensions? What purpose does this serve?

It's gotten worse with windows 10. 'One of your drivers needs an update' it tells me - and that's all it tells me. No information on what driver, for what part, and what the update contains compared to previous versions noooOOOOoooo. I'm too stupid to be allowed to know that stuff apparantly.

This attitude is reflected in other aspects of everyday living. 'Consumers find the nutritional information panel that's currently used on food packaging hard to understand' they cry. So apparantly they're going to dumb it down so the lowest common denominators in our society don't have to feel overwhelmed at having to read actual information.

Idiocracy was a prophecy, my friends.

...Sorry. Seems like I had a bit of a rant waiting inside me for a chance to spill out...

But seriously, hiding file extensions ... wtf?!

Colonel Sanders Lite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 02:30:08 pm »

I'm not even sure why extension hiding exists. The only reason for it I know of is to disguise malware as text/data files, and I'm fairly sure the small soft one didn't actually intend to facilitate that...
Idiocracy was a prophecy, my friends.

...Sorry. Seems like I had a bit of a rant waiting inside me for a chance to spill out...

But seriously, hiding file extensions ... wtf?!

You've actually got this exactly backwards.  File extensions where a *huge* problem for users in the days before windows 95.  It was actually a relief when 95 started hiding them.  This meant not having to fix as many missing files.  Of course, Pictures-From-Grandma.jpg.exe wasn't really a thing back in 95.  I would argue that windows deliberately deselecting the extension on renaming, and warning if you override it, combined with increased basic computer savy among today's users make for good reasons for doing away with this old practice.
Pages: 1 [2]