Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A dwarf with a master?  (Read 349 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A dwarf with a master?
« on: January 13, 2018, 06:35:31 am »

A new migrant wave just came, and one of them was a low-skill mason with only two relatives - his deity and someone listed as his "Master". I can't see the details screen of the master. His low skill and especially the fact the deity has never cursed anyone probably rules him out as a vampire.

Do dwarves have proper apprenticeships now? Or slaves?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A dwarf with a master?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 07:25:43 am »

Apprenticeships exist, so the migrant is an apprentice (although I've seen slaves visit the tavern as visitors in 0.42.X).

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 10:31:27 am »

apprenticeships can even happen in fort mode, in your library.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 02:13:33 pm »

Seems like a minor inconsistency error to not first terminate the apprenticeship when you move away from a commitment like that.

If they no longer were in the active study of that person it'd remark about them as (trying to recollect whether i have this right) "Former Master" rather than "Master". It might interrupt their training and lets hope nothing breaks as a result of that.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 04:27:02 pm »

My expedition leader became the apprentice of an immigant. Said immigrant died of old age a year later. THis did not change the status to former apprentic, he's still apprentice to the dead dwarf. No idea how worldgen former apprentice relations form.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479