Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A plea for help out of a boredom crutch  (Read 1366 times)

Brutaka001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A plea for help out of a boredom crutch
« on: January 11, 2018, 08:03:44 pm »

For those that have been active here recently, it would be of no surprise to learn that I wish to learn how to, i guess, code so I can contribute and/or make a race to play as. Sadly I do not know where to ask except here since this place is full of fellow modders! Though here I am, basically begging. Is there any resource or guide or whatever to help create a basic race to play as privately, grow, then release here for others? I tried the wiki but it only shows how to add a race to Adventure mode, and OFC  am more interested in Fortress. I don't really have the time or money, working a 12hr job 5 days a week on $4 higher than min wage, to pay for college courses sadly. If anybody can help, it would be SUPER appreciated. If not, then i understand. Thank you for taking the time to read my rant.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A plea for help out of a boredom crutch
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 09:03:09 pm »

Making a race for dwarf mode is mostly an issue of creating a creature (like the adventure mode guide) and making a new entry in entities_default.txt, where you dictate jobs, equipment, ethics and nobles. Just reading through entities_default.txt makes it pretty self-explanatory. I think there's a tag you have to add somewhere to make the civ playable, but copying dwarves and modifying from there should work.
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 10:18:48 pm »

You don't add a race to "adventurer mode", you add a race to "Dwarf Fortress". It's all the same game. Races live, fight, sing, think and die throughout the world all without giving a damn if the player is messing with fortress mode or adventure mode.

Start with copying the dwarf creature raws and editing a slightly new version. Each part has notes explaining what it does. Reference the wiki, have fun. That's loads you can do before you ever need to think about "coding". All you need is a text editor.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 10:21:54 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Brutaka001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 10:19:42 am »

Well what i meant by that is that I'm more focused on fortress mode when it comes to adding stuff. My end game is to add an entire race with structures, pets, maybe different castes and custom weapons.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 07:47:25 pm »

Well what i meant by that is that I'm more focused on fortress mode when it comes to adding stuff. My end game is to add an entire race with structures, pets, maybe different castes and custom weapons.
It's only one tag to make them fortress mode playable.
Quite a lot more to bring them up to dwarf standards of play of course, but I'm sure you know that. I don't think structures are customizable yet. They either have them or don't.

The dwarf raws (object\creature_standard.txt) contain all the instructions you need to build a creature. The entity raws (object\entity_default.txt) are self-explanatory (that's where you set them as fortress playable). And everything is explained in detail on the wiki (except very new stuff). Then come back here and ask specific questions when you get stuck.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 07:49:53 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Brutaka001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 05:19:49 am »

Ok, for a specific question. Since dwarves have the token [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT], isthere a way to add a similar token? For example, I want to make my civ dependant on brains. Though would be able to eat other meats but Brains would be a staple lile dwarves with alcohol. Would I have to make a new item that comes from corpses like a Fresh_Brain or something?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 10:25:05 pm »

Ok, for a specific question. Since dwarves have the token [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT], isthere a way to add a similar token? For example, I want to make my civ dependant on brains. Though would be able to eat other meats but Brains would be a staple lile dwarves with alcohol. Would I have to make a new item that comes from corpses like a Fresh_Brain or something?

I think you cannot.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Zammer990

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 04:48:05 am »

Certainly possible with DFHack, but what isn't.
More practically, I think if you gave them a reaction to create alcohol from brains in a special workshop, made them dependent and unable to build stills, that'd basically be brain-dependent. Would also let dwarves drink fermented brain though.

EDIT: Bra(i)ndy
If your animals aren't expendable, you could always station a dwarf or two out there?

Brutaka001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 11:36:35 am »

Yes and no on that. The dwarves would be able to drink it, but if I copy the syndrome from [PLANT:BULB_KOBOLD] and paste it in my brine-beer and tweak it to make my Illithid immune with SYN_IMMUNE_CREATURE and watch as every other sentient race becomes sick. Plus with a custom workshop, i can limit it to whatever race I want. So if I only want Illithids to be able to build it, then bam, that stops every other civilization from having access to an drink that makes them deathly sick.

or better yet, i can create a syndrome similar to Gnomeblight and then laugh as any who has access to it by accident dies from necrosis.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 02:45:44 pm by Brutaka001 »

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 07:07:15 pm »

or better yet, i can create a syndrome similar to Gnomeblight and then laugh as any who has access to it by accident dies from necrosis.
Hah, amazing :p

Plus with a custom workshop, i can limit it to whatever race I want. So if I only want Illithids to be able to build it, then bam, that stops every other civilization from having access to an drink that makes them deathly sick.
You got it! For reference, civs won't go "oh no this drink makes us sick, we can't make it!", they would still make it and still die if you gave them access to it through the entity file, but limiting it to a custom workshop & reaction (that isn't enabled in others' entity definition) will prevent other civs from making it. They may, however, trade for it and die.

The syndrome goes into the material btw, in the case of gnomeblight the material is defined within the plant, but you'll want to make a custom material. On the item token page on the wiki there's a listing for alcoholic drinks so you should be able to make a custom reaction, with the product being a drink of the custom material(rather than doing it by accepting a booze-able plant, then getting the plant's type from the reagent, which is the standard way to make booze). That's:
Code: [Select]
[PRODUCT:100:3:DRINK:NONE:CUSTOMBRAINJUICE:NONE] --example code, needs some extra tokens to actually work, see wiki.
instead of:
Code: [Select]
[PRODUCT:100:3:DRINK:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:reagentid:NONE]
You'll need to set the dimensions([PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]), and you'll want it to use a barrel as well, but the barrel's modifiers (tokens right after the reagent token for barrels) should have [DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT] and [PRESERVE_REAGENT]. The product needs to go in the barrel ([PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:barrel's id]). The wiki page for reactions explains this. Best of luck!

'ere the Chias get hungry...

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 06:32:19 pm »

Or just make a reaction that requires a tag on the entity file to allow per civ.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0