Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lazy Necromancer king consort?  (Read 857 times)

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lazy Necromancer king consort?
« on: January 11, 2018, 08:57:41 pm »

I got a necromancer king consort (not my first, I seem to be lucky that way) and attempted to use him in a zombie farming operation. I put him in a fortification-ed off area in view of a room into which I tossed corpses, but he doesn't seem to do any waving of hands or raising of corpses. Does anyone know the requirements of raising? I've given him a stray alpaca corpse, a human monster slayer corpse that died to siege goblins, and a siege goblin that died to trader guards. No zombies.

Justin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Necromancer king consort?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 09:21:16 pm »

Throw in a live enemy, and his fingers should start fluttering.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 03:56:17 pm »

Oddly enough, the wiki says that they should reanimate corpses if they have line of sight.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 04:21:06 pm »

Necros only reanimate if they feel threatened, and I've had considerable difficulties with trying to get them to get to work by displaying gobbos to them. It worked only something like 1 time out of 5. A guess is that it has to be closer than max line of sight to scare the necro sufficiently.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 02:32:20 am »

I'm smelling !!science!!.
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 06:24:42 pm »

Necros only reanimate if they feel threatened, and I've had considerable difficulties with trying to get them to get to work by displaying gobbos to them. It worked only something like 1 time out of 5. A guess is that it has to be closer than max line of sight to scare the necro sufficiently.

This was successful.

I created a setup where a goblin was trapped behind fortifications in view of the necromancer king consort, who was in view of the pile of corpses, and when I lowered the bridges to create line of sight, he immediately reanimated the corpses.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 09:08:17 pm »

That's what I did as well, but the distance may have been too great. A window, a drawbridge, a fortification, a trap to kill test subjects in a corridor, another fortification, another drawbridge, and another window. The fortifications where there because the test subjects were building destroyers, and the windows were there to ensure the necro/gobbo wasn't smashed as the bridge was operated. Previous tests with a chained gobbo only succeeded in scaring dorfs, not the necro (and, interestingly enough, the gobbo went bonkers, tantrum destroyed the chain, and had to be put down).

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 10:33:54 am »

What I’ve got is

Goblin area
Fortifications
Bridge
Fortifications
Necromancer area
Fortifications
Bridge
Fortifications
Zombie area

Nobody is caged or chained, the goblin is walled in completely, the necromancer has a door so I can lock him in there and a lever so I can make him go there, and the zombies are walled in but there are floor hatches above to dump in more corpses.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 11:08:11 am »

Sounds like a much better setup than the one I tried...

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 04:07:54 pm »

This is beautiful.