Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starting 44.4 with LNP StarterPack?  (Read 2103 times)

buuface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Starting 44.4 with LNP StarterPack?
« on: January 11, 2018, 08:57:53 pm »

Hi there i'm one of those new generation DF players who has only ever played the game using the LNP or equivalent launcher and I've become accustomed to it because of the integration of the various other utilities and pretty tile-sets.

Is there a way I can play the newest version of DF with the current version of the starter pack and do I need to make any changes in order for it to work correctly?

Will the current version of therapist work with the latest DF release?

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starting 44.4 with LNP StarterPack?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 09:22:33 pm »

Is there a way I can play the newest version of DF with the current version of the starter pack and do I need to make any changes in order for it to work correctly?
Download the latest version version of Dwarf Fortress from the Dwarf Fortress homepage. Decompress it and drag it into the root directory of your Lazy Newb Pack folder. Then in the Dwarf Fortress folder, open the /raw/objects/ folder and copy the "reaction_other.txt" to the /LNP/Baselines/df_44_03/raw/objects folder. Then renamed the /LNP/Baselines/df_44_03/ folder to /LNP/Baselines/df_44_04/.

Graphics packs for DF v0.44.03 are compatible with DF v0.44.04, but you might have to update a flag to mark them as compatible. In the folders found within /LNP/Graphics/ folder, you may need to open them an update the manifest.json files in text editors and update their max version to mark them as 0.44.04. If they don't have a max version field or if they have a blank max version field, then you don't have to worry about it.

Since DFHack and TWBT aren't updated yet, you will probably want to use either the "Standard" or "2D" print mode. The differences in these two (if I recall correctly): The "2D" print mode will allow you to use TTF fonts, while the "Standard" print mode will allow you to use "Nearest" scaling instead of "Linear".

If you use SoundSense, you will want to open the /LNP/Utilities/soundsense/configuration.xml in a text editor and update the path to point to match the new DF directory.

Will the current version of therapist work with the latest DF release?
Not until you install an updated memory layout to tell it how to interact with the latest Dwarf Fortress. They are probably still working on mapping out the memory of the latest Dwarf Fortress. We will need to wait for the DFHack and Dwarf Therapist people to publish a memory map before we can use Dwarf Therapist with the latest Dwarf Fortress.

buuface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 09:32:45 pm »

Thanks very much Jecowa that was a brilliant reply!

buuface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 09:43:11 pm »

One more question. If i begin a new fortress with the current starter pack (44/2) will I be able to continue a saved game using df 44/4 once the memory layouts you mentioned are released?

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 10:27:13 pm »

I think you will be able to continue your v0.44.03 save in v0.44.04. Only one object file changed in v0.44.04 ("reaction_other.txt"). I'm not really sure what you are missing out with the old version, or if it'd be safe to update the copy of that object file in your save file. But it will likely at least be safe to use your DF v0.44.03 save in DF v0.44.04 while continue using the old version of that object file.

Here's the v0.44.04 object change, if anyone knows anything about this stuff:

Dwarf Fortress v0.44.04 /raw/objects/reaction_other.txtDwarf Fortress v0.44.03 /raw/objects/reaction_other.txt
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[REACTION:RENDER_FAT]
   [NAME:render fat]
   [BUILDING:KITCHEN:HOTKEY_KITCHEN_RENDER_FAT]
   [REAGENT:A:150:GLOB:NONE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:FAT][UNROTTEN]
      [HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:RENDER_MAT]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:GLOB:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:RENDER_MAT]
   [SKILL:COOK]
   [AUTOMATIC]
[REACTION:RENDER_FAT]
   [NAME:render fat]
   [BUILDING:KITCHEN:CUSTOM_R]
   [REAGENT:A:150:GLOB:NONE:NONE:NONE][REACTION_CLASS:FAT][UNROTTEN]
      [HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:RENDER_MAT]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:GLOB:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:RENDER_MAT]
   [SKILL:COOK]
   [AUTOMATIC]

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 12:36:07 am »

"Fixed kitchen job hotkeys"   ;)

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 04:22:43 am »

I just deleted DFHACK. . It was crashing my game every twenty minutes or so, unfortunately.

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 11:08:41 am »

I just deleted DFHACK. . It was crashing my game every twenty minutes or so, unfortunately.
What specific version of DFHack? What plugins were you using? Did you try disabling any (especially TWBT)?
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2018, 12:00:58 am »

I don't have the lazy newb pack, I downloaded the straight windows 64 bit version of DF from bay12 about a week ago (v44.03).  After a while looking around for idealic magma-steel sites, I decided to download DFhack so I could use the prospect plug-in to look for ore.  Far as I know, I dl-ed the most recent version from the "official" github link.  I got the message that it wasn't configured but I never bothered to twiddle with that as it ran and all I wanted was to look for iron/coal.

Thing is, DF occasionally "glitches" out of the game back to the desktop on my computer.  Without DFhack it wasnt a problem, as the game kept running.  With DFHack, it seemed to occur more often, and now the process was killed when it happened each time, destroying any in-game progress after the last save.  This tended to happen when I hit the u-screen to get an overview of my units, but I may just be suffering from cluster illusion.

So I, sadly, "un-installed" it by deleting the folders and now the game is stable again.   

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2018, 03:15:46 pm »

The point of DFHack pre-releases is that they might be unstable, and you should use them if you're willing to report issues you find with them. There have been some weird intermittent issues reported with the units screen, but they might be Windows-specific, and I have never seen them on my end, so if you could follow the instructions here to help us narrow it down, that would help a lot.

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2018, 02:58:22 am »

Ok well, it DEFINITELY happens in 44.03, it definitely occurs in the U screen (I think the part about pushing V to view is indeed the trigger but I havent verified that), but it doesn't require that you are playing for a long time for it to happen.  Definitely had a crash after only 20 or 30 minutes.  Not sure about the save and continue aspect, I could have been doing that. 

One thing I am certain of is that it happens IMMEDIATELY upon a key-press in the U screen, there is no delay, you never get the new screen, you just lose the instance. 

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 11:46:36 pm »

Okay, but it definitely doesn't happen on my end, so can you follow the instructions I linked to (particularly disabling the search plugin) and see if that helps with anything?